The Conservative Party - Part Two.

10 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Yeah but it's taken me nearly 5 years and a lot of money to get my green card LEGALLY 

You liberals are meant for be so smart but you still don't know the definition of LEGAL and ILLEGAL migration 

Where have I said I'm liberal? 

Obviously I know the definitions of each and that's why I don't lump them both together unlike some that just don't like foreigners arriving. 

As you've said previously it's the governments fault for letting too many in...Legally and Illegally.

I don't know why it bothers you so much when it doesn't even impact on you......does it?

59 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Where have I said I'm liberal? 

Obviously I know the definitions of each and that's why I don't lump them both together unlike some that just don't like foreigners arriving. 

As you've said previously it's the governments fault for letting too many in...Legally and Illegally.

I don't know why it bothers you so much when it doesn't even impact on you......does it?

He claims he has to pay a lot of tax to keep them.

I don't think he pays any at all because he never seems to go to work.

Write something on here about asylum seekers and he answers within minutes any time of day or night.

23 hours ago, Magilla said:

Clearly then, the tax on the capital gain of the property has not been paid.

They get a £325,000 freebie each, the rest is not taxed at 100% :roll:

This just highlights how little a problem this really is and who it really effects...  I think most people, including these "children", and will survive with a lump sum that is significantly more than the average price of buying a home outright, in the UK.

It's the same, untaxed money. ūüôĄ

The tax has not been paid on the value of the property now.

Talk about spectacularly missing the point ūü§£

The point is capital gains tax is not paid on property that is not sold.  While inheritance tax forces people to sell property which has been the family home in order to gain the funds in order to pay the capital gains tax. 

Edited by Axe

17 hours ago, Axe said:

The point is capital gains tax is not paid on property that is not sold.

It is paid when the property changes owner.

17 hours ago, Axe said:

While inheritance tax forces people to sell property which has been the family home in order to gain the funds in order to pay the capital gains tax. 

In the vast, vast majority of cases, it doesn't.

Is simply not a major issue for most people.

Regardless, why should someone get a massive tax break just because their parents happen to be wealthy?

On 18/11/2023 at 19:40, Magilla said:

They get a £325,000 freebie each, the rest is not taxed at 100% :roll:

This just highlights how little a problem this really is and who it really effects...  

Talk about spectacularly missing the point ūü§£

Nail on head. 

This of course is for the benefit of the rich with their mansions and stately homes plus multiple assets which will exceed £650,000. All wrapped up to look as if it will matter to ordinary voters.

It won't.

Most ordinary people don't have inheritances anything near that. (And if the deceased spent any time in a care home paying on average £4,000 a month, that's over £50,000 a year for the privilege, relatives will be lucky to receive anything.)

Crafty eh?

This is the same tactic as when the Tories recently altered the limit on pension contributions 'because doctors were leaving the NHS early and we couldn't afford to lose them.'  How many NHS doctors do you suppose have this problem? A very few top consultants maybe? 

No this was to benefit the super rich to enable them to hide even more of their wealth in pensions and get even more money on retirement. But they of course didn't get a mention

The  Conservatives; the masters of spin...  Let's see how many more tax dodges for the wealthy they manage to come up with over the next year, all cunningly disguised as for our benefit... 

Edited by Anna B

The jealous contributors with chips on their shoulders should be happy on Wednesday because I predict there will be no change in the inheritance tax situation.  Very smart to let the public and media think that inheritance tax will change and then not change it and give a victory to the usual suspects.

18 minutes ago, Axe said:

The jealous contributors with chips on their shoulders should be happy on Wednesday because I predict there will be no change in the inheritance tax situation.

Even if there were, it still wouldn't solve any of the issues you highlight, merely makes the pool of people it would effect insignificantly smaller.

Why should someone get a massive tax break because their parents are wealthy?

38 minutes ago, Axe said:

The jealous contributors with chips on their shoulders should be happy on Wednesday because I predict there will be no change in the inheritance tax situation.  Very smart to let the public and media think that inheritance tax will change and then not change it and give a victory to the usual suspects.

There was talk of cutting benefits to pay for an inheritance tax cut.

That'd be right up your street.

40 minutes ago, Axe said:

This is a regular Tory tactic. Announce something popular with great fanfare. Then quietly forget all about it without a mention. 

32 minutes ago, Mister M said:

There was talk of cutting benefits to pay for an inheritance tax cut.

That'd be right up your street.

I am in favour of cutting certain benefits to fund a rise in the threshold for when workers start to pay tax. Unemployment benefits are too high and are given to many bone idle people. At the moment it is too easy for certain people to stay at home rather than look for work. The whole unemployment benefit system needs reforming. 

28 minutes ago, Axe said:

I am in favour of cutting certain benefits to fund a rise in the threshold for when workers start to pay tax. Unemployment benefits are too high and are given to many bone idle people. At the moment it is too easy for certain people to stay at home rather than look for work. The whole unemployment benefit system needs reforming. 

Unemployment benefits in the UK are some of the meanest in Western Europe, and in other countries which have higher levels of benefits don't act as a disincentive to work. So why are the level of our meagre benefits a disincentive?

Worth bearing in mind that about half of the government budget for working age benefits goes to people in work - so where there is work available people will take it. What do you think the government should do to disincentivise companies who can afford to pay a decent wage but choose not to?

One of the biggest barriers to people being in work is the high cost of childcare.

Edited by Mister M

52 minutes ago, Axe said:

Given your penny pinching nature when it comes to benefits, how does it feel to support a government whose ministers have in the last 4 years squandered £100 Billion of tax payers money on waste and fraud?

Edited by Mister M