The Conservative Party - Part Two.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

Think you posted in the wrong thread as this is not the brexit one...

So you don't disagree with the content then?

Edited by Longcol

8 hours ago, apelike said:

The dismantling of PHE has nothing at all to do with Parliament or the use of Henry VIII powers as it is an executive agency of the government so they can legitimately dismantle it and set up a new body incorporating it into that one, so it's a bit of a strawman.

Strawman?

You don't seem to know the meaning of the word: where did I claim that the dismantling of PHE was something to do with Henry VIII powers?

Maybe you wish to refresh yourself about Henry VIII powers. The constitutional notion got a bit of exposure in the MSM last year, but hasn't been getting much MSM attention since. Unsurprisingly.

As for the dismantling of PHE having nothing at all to do with Parliament, last I checked the executive still answers to Parliament in your country. Well, on paper, for now still. Few seemed to understand that fundamental pillar of democracy during the pre-Brexit period of 2016-late 2019. Looks like fewer still, today. Again, unsurprisingly.

PHE was an executive agency of the DHSC indeed, but  had full operational autonomy from DHSC, with an Advisory Board with a non-executive Chair and non-executive members. Hancock's decision at extremely short notice to dismantle the PHE in the middle of a pandemic, which the UK has been struggling epically with, whilst the Commons are in recess, for a replacement body now reporting directly to Hancock with Dido Harding for the day management (she of the UK's laughable Track-&-Trace fiasco, whose husband John Penrose, the Tory MP for Weston-super-Mare and adviser to the free market thinktank 1828 has published articles calling for the NHS to be replaced by universal social insurance and, in April, as the pandemic unfolded, for Public Health England to be abolished and the private sector to be handed a key role in testing - both scenarios have now come to pass), is basically a fait accompli. Like much of what Johnson, Cummins & consorts get up to nowadays.

I'd have thought you'd welcome more government scrutiny, not less, when you see the sheer rate of knots at which they're spaffing your Treasury on their mates' shelf companies.

Edited by L00b

I'm concerned about how it will play out for things previously overseen by PHE that don't seem to be a part of the new agency; obesity, smoking cessation, mental health, substance misuse etc. 

1 hour ago, L00b said:

<...>

I'd have thought you'd welcome more government scrutiny, not less, when you see the sheer rate of knots at which they're spaffing your Treasury on their mates' shelf companies.

I've written to my MP regarding what's going on to express my displeasure and asking if she can do anytihng. Unfortunately she's a Labour MP so her influence is limited.

Still, at least we leave the EU eh? Bugger what else happens... 🙄🙄

1 minute ago, whiteowl said:

I've written to my MP regarding what's going on to express my displeasure and asking if she can do anytihng. Unfortunately she's a Labour MP so her influence is limited.

Still, at least we leave the EU eh? Bugger what else happens... 🙄🙄

I could write to my Tory MP and he'll give less than a tupenny toss. Boris has a large majority, he can do as he pleases.

6 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I could write to my Tory MP and he'll give less than a tupenny toss. Boris has a large majority, he can do as he pleases.

Indeed. That was the point of my last sentence.

Giving this bunch of chancers carte blanche on everything related to this country on the promise that we leave the nasty EU.

What could possibly go wrong? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, L00b said:

Strawman?

You don't seem to know the meaning of the word: where did I claim that the dismantling of PHE was something to do with Henry VIII powers?

You didn't but you certainly implied it.

Quote:

"Seems the prorogation of Parliament on the basis of lies and misrepresentations might have skipped people's memories already, and that few have realised that the government insta-dismantled the PHE and replaced it without any consultation with Parliament howsoever. If I say 'Henry VIII powers', will that jog some readers' memories, and help them make a connection with the increasingly autocratic behaviour of Johnson and his Cabinet?"

4 hours ago, L00b said:

As for the dismantling of PHE having nothing at all to do with Parliament, last I checked the executive still answers to Parliament in your country. 

Then check again... The executive agencies answer to the respective government ministers in charge of them and not to parliament as they provide services to the government not parliament. 

38 minutes ago, Magilla said:

A common theme in most of the foreign press these days:

https://www.dw.com/en/opinion-boris-johnson-from-world-king-to-bumbling-failure/a-54312236

Love this paragraph which summarises his position quite well...

"One thing, however, is becoming increasingly clear: Johnson is unable to deal with the challenges facing him. He is a populist, a man of grandiose gestures, as opposed to a prudent ruler who navigates his country through crises, his hands firmly on the steering wheel. His empty promises and smoke-and-mirrors approach are debauching the country — a state of affairs now deplored even by die-hard conservatives."

The only thing is omits is the fact that he is a proven liar and a  cheat and sexist and racist to boot...

5 hours ago, Litotes said:

Love this paragraph which summarises his position quite well...

"One thing, however, is becoming increasingly clear: Johnson is unable to deal with the challenges facing him. He is a populist, a man of grandiose gestures, as opposed to a prudent ruler who navigates his country through crises, his hands firmly on the steering wheel. His empty promises and smoke-and-mirrors approach are debauching the country — a state of affairs now deplored even by die-hard conservatives."

The only thing is omits is the fact that he is a proven liar and a  cheat and sexist and racist to boot...

The other day I was watching The Importance of being Earnest.  Lady Bracknell remarks (I may be misquoting slightly):

"Untruthful?  My nephew?  Impossible.  He went Oxford."

Just reminded me of Boris's credentials!  A top university is no guarantee of integrity.

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

I see the Government are looking after businesses linked to them, £500million in pandemic contracts has gone to firms without them having to bid.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/firms-linked-tories-won-500m-22563625

It's not just that they are giving the contracts without tender, they are keeping the details secret - Cross-party MPs to sue UK government for details of Covid PPE contracts

MPs are to launch legal action to force the government to reveal details of hundreds of personal protective equipment (PPE) contracts, amid mounting complaints over the secrecy around the deals.

A cross-party group of MPs has signed a pre-action letter accusing ministers of breaching transparency rules and demanding the immediate disclosure of the contracts, which are valued at more than £5bn. The legal letter claims: “Publication of the contracts themselves appears not to be happening in relation to Covid-19 contracts on a routine basis.”

Claiming you need to bypass the normal tendering process because of the urgency of dealing with Covid is one thing but there's no reason why the the government needs to keep the details of such contracts secret - unless of course they know something untoward is going on.