The Conservative Party - Part Two.

And a new PM?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/22/carrie-johnson-unsavoury-political-attack-dominic-raab

No 10 later admitted having intervened to stop the article from running, despite the journalist who wrote the story, Simon Walters, standing by it. The Guardian has also been told by sources that the story is true, with one saying evidence exists that Johnson tried to get his then girlfriend a job.

Looks like "Save Big Dog" is underway again...

Edited by Litotes

42 minutes ago, Litotes said:

No 10 later admitted having intervened to stop the article from running, despite the journalist who wrote the story, Simon Walters, standing by it. The Guardian has also been told by sources that the story is true, with one saying evidence exists that Johnson tried to get his then girlfriend a job.

Looks like "Save Big Dog" is underway again...

So the Guardian says the story is true, it's author says the story is true and yet the Guardian have withdrawn it swiftly. It seems odd that such an outstanding paper like the Guardian would retract a story which is true with evidence to prove it...... unless it's not true after all. The Guardian have been relentless in their witch hunt after Boris and yet this bombshell fizzled out like a damp squib.

Another yawn story for gullible readers.

Guest sibon
4 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

So the Guardian says the story is true, it's author says the story is true and yet the Guardian have withdrawn it swiftly. It seems odd that such an outstanding paper like the Guardian would retract a story which is true with evidence to prove it...... unless it's not true after all. The Guardian have been relentless in their witch hunt after Boris and yet this bombshell fizzled out like a damp squib.

What have the Guardian withdrawn?

This is still there:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/19/carrie-johnson-and-the-curious-case-of-the-vanishing-times-story?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

6 minutes ago, sibon said:

What have the Guardian withdrawn?

The original article!

6 minutes ago, sibon said:

Good try but not the same article as that one was withdrawn.

Quote from above:

"But almost as soon as the article hit the printers, it was withdrawn, without explanation or clarification."

On 19/06/2022 at 22:03, Dromedary said:

Not disingenuous at all as it all depends on what one classes now as working class not back in the day. That's why I was trying to find out exactly what people mean when they say working class or the working man as there seems to be a wide range of assumptions.

Reading the past posts on the matter then you will understand that it now means different things to different people as jobs and wealth change over time. Working class was once associated with hard manual labour grafting and low educational standards such a working down the pit or in a steelworks and both industries have all but disappeared. Thatcher also introduced the right to buy selling council stock at very discounted prices which enabled many then to become homeowners who couldn't have been before.

BTW those taking student loans will not be the ones who are also buying housing as in order to buy a home you need a good job, spare money coming in and savings. 

I agree that 'working class' has many definitions, but unfortunately there's little that fits much better. 

Tony Blair famously said 'We're all middle class now.' I beg to differ.

I would say we're all working class now.

Anyone who has financial insecurity, ie cannot relax for fear of falling foul of some financial disaster like redundancy or serious illness, or is struggling to afford their own house, or paying back huge loans be they students or small businesses is working class, That is most of us. 

Those that can rest on their laurels, and sleep easy at night, be they ridiculously well paid, (fill in your own figure for that; mine is £150,000+) and self made millionaires, or  trust fund recipients, are the other class.  

Then there are the small group of super rich who have so much money that they don't know what to do with it; they may be a small, but they have more money than all the rest put together, don't pay proper tax, and sit on it.    

Edited by Anna B

Just now, Anna B said:

I agree that 'working class' has many definitions, but unfortunately there's little that fits much better. 

Tony Blair famously said 'We're all middle class now.' I beg to differ.

Did he, never heard that one before and despite me still disliking him his rating by me has now gone up... just a bit though.

6 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

The original article!

Quote from above:

"But almost as soon as the article hit the printers, it was withdrawn, without explanation or clarification."

You need to pay more attention. The Guardian reported that The Times published and article and then withdrew it at the government's request.

Guest sibon
14 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

The original article!

Quote from above:

That is the only article that I’ve seen published in the Guardian .

They clearly haven’t withdrawn the story.

4 minutes ago, altus said:

You need to pay more attention. The Guardian reported that The Times published and article and then withdrew it at the government's request.

I’m not sure that camels do attention to detail.

Just to help him out, here is the withdrawn TIMES article.

Edited by sibon

32 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

With regards to the substance of the claims in the article that notoriously appeared then disappeared in the Times, both Lord Ashcroft, a bigwig in the Tory Party, and Alan Duncan a former Tory Foreign Office Minister have both confirmed the story.

Odd that a SF poster who has repeatedly says that he's not a Tory, spends a great deal of time defending Tories - But there you go.

And Johnson did not deny the claims when asked at PMQs.

Edited by Mister M

9 minutes ago, altus said:

Ah yesss, well spotted. 10/10

Guest sibon
21 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

The original article!

Quote from above:

2 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Ah yesss, well spotted. 10/10

And you seemed so sure of yourself too.