The Conservative Party - Part Two.

Just when we were wondering where Gove the Gnome had gone, it's apparent that the Minister for Levelling Up has been locked away assessing the current cost of living crisis.

He's decided that "it's tough for everyone."

No it isn't.  It's tougher for some, not as tough for others.  Another Tory lie, reminiscent of "We all need to follow lockdown rules."

Is Michael Gove back on the cocaine?

Gove dismisses talk of emergency budget to tackle rising costs - BBC News

It's one thing for a Government Minister to prove that they're no Rory Bremner in the impressions category; but to do so in the context of a public debate on the cost of living crisis, when many are struggling to put food on the table is quite another.

After that performance, I think Gove should stick to impersonating something from a Laurel & Hardy sketch:

Or perhaps he should impersonate a middle aged man trying to get down with the youth at a nightclub:

I am at the stage where I can hardly bear to listen to any more of the Government spokespersons.

Johnson has failed or backtracked on most of his policies,including Brexit but now sees himself as a leading European statesman with a place on the world stage.

Is there a Tory with some backbone to put an end to the pantomime.

26 minutes ago, RJRB said:

I am at the stage where I can hardly bear to listen to any more of the Government spokespersons.

Johnson has failed or backtracked on most of his policies,including Brexit but now sees himself as a leading European statesman with a place on the world stage.

Is there a Tory with some backbone to put an end to the pantomime.

It won't be this MP, Lee Anderson who's caused quite a stir a few hours ago for claiming that there is no “massive use” for foodbanks in Britain, and suggesting people use them because they are unable to cook or budget “properly”. And that people can cook a healthy, nutritious meal for 30p a day....Surely the fuel would cost more than that?

Tory MP Lee Anderson claims no ‘massive use’ for foodbanks, saying people unable to cook or budget ‘properly’ | The Independent

He's the MP for Ashfield, a North Nottingham constituency which went Tory on the back of Brexit. 

Edited by Mister M

53 minutes ago, Mister M said:

It won't be this MP, Lee Anderson who's caused quite a stir a few hours ago for claiming that there is no “massive use” for foodbanks in Britain, and suggesting people use them because they are unable to cook or budget “properly”. And that people can cook a healthy, nutritious meal for 30p a day....Surely the fuel would cost more than that?

Tory MP Lee Anderson claims no ‘massive use’ for foodbanks, saying people unable to cook or budget ‘properly’ | The Independent

He's the MP for Ashfield, a North Nottingham constituency which went Tory on the back of Brexit. 

He’s got a point 

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

He's right, there have even been massive campaigns on social media and PR drives by the Co-op regarding the alarming amount of people who are becoming adults without basic knowledge or skills on how to cook.

I don't think any of us are going to doubt the alarming rise in quick easy access takeaways that can be delivered to one's door without even so much as getting off the sofa. I'm sure many of us have seen the ridiculous costs of ordering your favourite takeaway via a delivery app compared to the same price if someone was to go pick it up and even wider price comparison to someone buying ingredients from a supermarket and cooking themselves.

Whilst I'm sure the delivery of the MPs message has caused immediate reaction, condemning, outrage and Hysteria (including significant numbers who probably never even saw it until newspaper reported it), the fact is, he may have a point.

If there are generations of young people in 'poverty' who are paying £8, £10 £20 to have a pizzas delivered or buying supermarket ready meals at £2 per portion, questions should be asked.  I have raised on another thread whether there is actually a need for food banks or whether people are choosing to use them because they exist. If they didn't would all these people suddenly starve? or would they suddenly find a way of being able to buy basic groceries after all.  

Let's be realistic here, it's not beyond the realms of reality that when there is a chance to get something for free or heavily discounted you are going to suddenly try find a way to meet criteria and use it.  After all, who wouldn't want the chance of being able to save the money they would have spent on groceries for something else perhaps a bit more more exciting....

I am not saying there isn't hardship. I am not saying that poverty doesn't exist. But it is clear that society's expectations and priorities are often out of kilter.  I've seen it with my own parents, there was no supermarkets for my mum she wouldn't have enough to be wheeling round the trolley chucking things in.  There were no Lidl's or Aldi's with bargain basement prices.. It was her small wages once a week and make do. It was whatever the local shopkeepers had. I also saw the good Housekeeping. What was the Sunday roast became Monday stew and sometimes Tuesday sandwiches. That mince beef and onions on the Wednesday became Thursday's cottage pie and very often Friday's lasagna. A takeaway back then was a round a fish and chips and that was your lot.   For the young family of today what are their expectations? What do they deem a 'cheap takeaway' to be?  how often do they feel they should be going out to eat each week?

Edited by ECCOnoob

1 minute ago, ECCOnoob said:

He's right, there have even been massive campaigns on social media and PR drives by the Co-op regarding the alarming amount of people who are becoming adults without basic knowledge or skills on how to cook.

I don't think any of us are going to doubt the alarming rise in quick easy access takeaways that can be delivered to one's door without even so much as getting off the sofa. I'm sure many of us have seen the ridiculous costs of ordering your favourite takeaway via a delivery app compared to the same price if someone was to go pick it up up and even wider price comparison to someone buying ingredients from a supermarket and cooking themselves.

Whilst I'm sure the delivery of the MPs message has caused immediate reaction, condemning, outrage and Hysteria (including significant numbers who probably never even saw it until newspaper reported it), the fact is, he may have a point.

If there are generations of young people in 'poverty' who are paying £8, £10 £20 to have a pizzas delivered or buying supermarket ready meals at £2 pop per portion,  questions should be asked.  I have raised on another thread whether there is actually a need for food banks or whether people are choosing to use them because they exist. If they didn't would all these people suddenly starve?  or would they suddenly find a way of being able to buy basic groceries after all.  

Let's be realistic here, it's not beyond the realms of reality that when there is a chance to get something for free or heavily discounted you are going to suddenly try find a way to meet criteria and use it.  After all, who wouldn't want the chance of being able to save the money they would have spent on groceries for something else perhaps a bit more more exciting....

Truth 

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

I suggest someone gives him £2.10p and let him try.

15 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I don't think any of us are going to doubt the alarming rise in quick easy access takeaways that can be delivered to one's door without even so much as getting off the sofa. I'm sure many of us have seen the ridiculous costs of ordering your favourite takeaway via a delivery app compared to the same price if someone was to go pick it up up and even wider price comparison to someone buying ingredients from a supermarket and cooking themselves.

If there are generations of young people in 'poverty' who are paying £8, £10 £20 to have a pizzas delivered or buying supermarket ready meals at £2 pop per portion,  questions should be asked.  I have raised on another thread whether there is actually a need for food banks or whether people are choosing to use them because they exist. If they didn't would all these people suddenly starve?  or would they suddenly find a way of being able to buy basic groceries after all.  

• "I have raised on another thread whether there is actually a need for food banks or whether people are choosing to use them because they exist". People have to be referred to food banks by "professionals" for that very reason. So it isn't a free for all, so help is targeted at the most vulnerable in crisis.
  • "If there are generations of young people in 'poverty' who are paying £8, £10 £20 to have a pizzas delivered or buying supermarket ready meals at £2 pop per portion,  questions should be asked." I don't know that there are. There are some, that's very different from saying there are "generations" of them 
  • I think more than anything, it feels insulting and stigmatising that people in need of food banks are ignorant of how to cook, how to budget, how to manage a household. It goes back to that old stereotype of the 'undeserving poor'.

The Trussell Trust, who knows a thing or two about this issue, have responded to Anderson's point 

“cooking meals from scratch won’t help families keep the lights on or put food on the table, if they don’t have enough money in their pockets”. Quite.

10 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I suggest someone gives him £2.10p and let him try.

Anna, last year this MP for Ashfield, Lee Anderson cost the taxpayer in 2021-22  £223,000 in expenses alone.

I don't think anyone will be taking lectures in budgeting from him.

Edited by Mister M

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

He’s got a point 

The cold hard truth is that a lot of people just do not manage their finances properly and live beyond their means. I've learned this myself in the past the hard way.

Guest sibon
19 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

The cold hard truth is that a lot of people just do not manage their finances properly and live beyond their means. I've learned this myself in the past the hard way.

I think you have a point.

I also think that improving cooking skills is a good idea.

I just don't need an MP who eats in subsidised restaurants, drinks in subsidised bars and claims £200 000 per year in expenses to tell me that.

Surely his job is to ensure that the education needed to budget and cook are there in the first place.  And that people have access to properly paid employment. That would be a better look than lecturing poor people.

Edited by sibon

54 minutes ago, Mister M said:
  • "I have raised on another thread whether there is actually a need for food banks or whether people are choosing to use them because they exist". People have to be referred to food banks by "professionals" for that very reason. So it isn't a free for all, so help is targeted at the most vulnerable in crisis.
  • "If there are generations of young people in 'poverty' who are paying £8, £10 £20 to have a pizzas delivered or buying supermarket ready meals at £2 pop per portion,  questions should be asked." I don't know that there are. There are some, that's very different from saying there are "generations" of them 
  • I think more than anything, it feels insulting and stigmatising that people in need of food banks are ignorant of how to cook, how to budget, how to manage a household. It goes back to that old stereotype of the 'undeserving poor'.

The Trussell Trust, who knows a thing or two about this issue, have responded to Anderson's point 

“cooking meals from scratch won’t help families keep the lights on or put food on the table, if they don’t have enough money in their pockets”. Quite.

Anna, last year this MP for Ashfield, Lee Anderson cost the taxpayer in 2021-22  £223,000 in expenses alone.

I don't think anyone will be taking lectures in budgeting from him.

The Trussell Trust didnt answer his point about cooking a meal