The Conservative Party - Part Two.

I well recall my mother and grandparents reminiscing  supposed WW11 ‘parties’ held in homes, pubs, shops & offices and anywhere where folk could congregate and have some enjoyment in those dark days. I still have to smile of the story of a police officer warning a householder for showing a chink of light through his window, what I find amusing is that the properties situated on either side were on fire following them being bombed. It is worth mentioning that many of the folk attending the ‘parties’ were in uniform and about to join their units on active service.

We live in very miserable times, when parents are cautioned for having small gatherings of children in back gardens to celebrate a child’s birthday. I must take great care not to be seen through the lounge window with a drink in my hand whilst listening to Queen blasting out, as any type of personal enjoyment appears to be a punishable offence.

If there is a superior power could it please knock some sense into the heads of the serial miseries?

Edited by crookesey

47 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Exactly correct.  The whole saga has been generated by the media.  On Newsnight Peter Bone's experiences from voters is nearer to the truth than what the Labour politician was saying.  The anti Boris / anti democratic mob are going to be disappointed again because Boris is going nowhere. 

The whole saga was generated by the action/inaction of Boris Johnson, but fuelled by the Tory Party and Tory Media.

The 'partying' issue maybe  important to the population but is irrelevant to the Tory party. The electorate and public opinion do not select the Prime Minister, it will be the Tory MPs. 

The right of the party has been strengthened by resignations and winning Brexit. They want the party to move right. The fact that they are using the Tory media to undermine their leader is indicative of their unhappiness and resolve.

The "red wall" MPs do not want the party to move right and they rely(ied) on Johnson and his popularity for their seats. His image is no longer positive and the upcoming taxation hikes on their constituents is a potential disaster.

The centre of the party have always thought of him as populist and incapable of driving forward a centrist agenda.

The only reason he is still their leader is that the factions fear more for the succession.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

2 hours ago, atticus said:

Well , if that was the case for the defence , he’d be screwed.

Well, I guess now there’s a chance we’re going to find out:

🍿

3 hours ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Lets be honest, there are millions around this country who are low key giving Boris a pass on this because lets face it, many many people ignored covid rules in all sorts of ways.

Those 'millions' around the country who ignored covid rules, and are giving Johnson a freepass, do they include the ones who had their collar felt by the law and were subsequently fined for flouting the rules? 

17 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Those 'millions' around the country who ignored covid rules, and are giving Johnson a freepass, do they include the ones who had their collar felt by the law and were subsequently fined for flouting the rules? 

Yes.

41 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Yes.

So they get caught breaking the law and have to pay a hefty fine; Johnson and his chums break the law, and those fined say "yes but he's the Prime Minister, why should he obey the law he imposed on the rest of us"?

Isn't it rather patronising to assume that people are that daft or gaslit. 

17 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The Downing Street area is by far the most heavily policed area in the country and the police didn't feel the need to take any action regarding flouting the rules at the time.  For the police to get involved now after all the time has passed is an absolute waste of police resources.  The police certainly wouldn't be interested in investigating any alleged similar rule breaking by private citizens that happened over a year ago.   The only reported allegation with any credibility  that any wrongdoing has happened was the events that happened in Downing Street on the eve of Prince Philip's funeral when the Prime Minister was no where near the area.  

I will add anyone who has been given a fine for breaking any rules are in no position to complain about the behaviour of others alleged to have broken the rules.  

Perhaps the police on duty felt compromised, I dunno. There could be any number of reasons why they didn't feel able to issue on the spot fines. But take it up with the Met Police Commissioner as she said the Met will be investigating (though I'm pretty cynical about the process). With regards to the parties on the eve of Prince Philip's funeral - tasteless and insensitive yes. But that's not the issue. The issue is the breach of the law.

The bigger issue is the rule of law - are the people who make the law, subject to the same law. My thoughts are yes, it's a fundamental British value, even if it is inconvenient for the PM and his advisers.

Edited by Mister M

Whatever the rights or wrongs of this situation (and I expect there will probably be wrongs) it’s not really the biggest issue we are facing. We may be on the brink of WW3. Half of the population is staring into the abyss due to looming energy prices and taxation. So the constant bickering between the government, opposition and press about Partygate smacks of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic TBH. Has anyone actually got a plan or even a clue what they’re doing when it comes to the pressing issues this country is facing?

I'll say one thing about all these party stories, it certainly puts into context the claims that the media is biased towards the Tories.

Especially when you've got the BBC citing ITV's "evidence".

4 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

I'll say one thing about all these party stories, it certainly puts into context the claims that the media is biased towards the Tories.

Said it all along 

30 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Funny that especially as it's the Tories that want to bin the BBC.

Boris survives again.

As long as the police are investigating there will be no release of the Gray report.