The Conservative Party - Part Two.

9 minutes ago, Mister M said:

"Nobody told me blackmail was a crime, I'm as shocked as you are, we will need to wait for the Sue Gray report."

MPs have been blackmailed plenty of times in the past by all political parties and that done by the whips so its nothing new. 21 Tory rebels were deselected in 2019 and 10 had the whip restored later. A big deal.. no as no one probably now remembers it and same will go for this as well. 

Edited by Dromedary

13 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

MPs have been blackmailed plenty of times in the past by all political parties and that done by the whips so its nothing new. 21 Tory rebels were deselected in 2019 and 10 had the whip restored later. A big deal.. no as no one probably now remembers it and same will go for this as well. 

Well isn't that a rather disturbing post? 

Do we really want blackmail to be a normal/ accepted part of politics?

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Well isn't that a rather disturbing post? 

Do we really want blackmail to be a normal/ accepted part of politics?

It’s not disturbing at all: that wilful acceptance of power excesses by Joe Average is perfectly representative of why British politics are the way they are, and symptomatic of why they are unlikely to change anytime soon.

How else do you think the great populists of the ages, the Mussolinis, Hitlers, Putins <etc.> gained so much political power in their early years? With exactly the same othering, dividing, slogans and assorted other political snake oil, used liberally as powder to the eyes of the ignorant.

By the time the most die-hard apologists and cap doffers eventually cop on that they’ve been made just as worse off as every other plebe, ‘pro-‘ or ‘anti-‘ or in-between irrespective, it’s way too late anyway.

People get the governance they deserve. Still. 😉

Edited by L00b

40 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The ones complaining are big girl's blouses.  I'm shocked the Tory party have MPs who are big girl's blouses.  Boris needs to get tough and send all the big girl's blouses to the Labour party and join the big girl's blouse who joined them yesterday.

Why on earth are you shocked by that? You only have to look at the way so many of them whinge about biased TV channels every time they try to hold the government to account. Promoting phoney culture wars is part of the party's policy now. Not to mention the handbag clutching if anyone suggests brexit might not be a resounding success.

In news that will only be a surprise to people because it's actually been found - Sue Gray finds email from official warning against Number 10 drinks party in May 2020:

A top civil servant investigating alleged law-breaking in Downing Street has found a email warning Boris Johnson's principal private secretary against holding a lockdown-breaching party in Number 10, ITV News understands.

The discovery by Sue Gray, who has been appointed by the PM to investigate numerous allegations of illegal behaviour in the heart of government, was revealed by ITV News Political Editor Robert Peston.

He said it leaves a "huge question" hanging over Mr Johnson's claim he hadn't been warned the May 20, 2020 party was against the rules and that he only attended because he thought it was a work event.

What was that about waiting for the Sue Gray report?  :D

Regarding the allegations of MP's being blackmailed to make them toe the line. 

Now that he's 'stepped across the floor', why doesn't MP Christian Wakeford and / or William Wragg, name names as to who did threatening or in modern parlance, call the individual / individuals out?  I'm sure the electorate would be interested to know if their particular MP was threatening fellow MP's? 

Additionally, as they are MP's they have Parliamentary privilege & could name individuals in the House without the threat of impunity. 

Edited by Baron99

1 hour ago, L00b said:

It’s not disturbing at all: that wilful acceptance of power excesses by Joe Average is perfectly representative of why British politics are the way they are, and symptomatic of why they are unlikely to change anytime soon.

How else do you think the great populists of the ages, the Mussolinis, Hitlers, Putins <etc.> gained so much political power in their early years? With exactly the same othering, dividing, slogans and assorted other political snake oil, used liberally as powder to the eyes of the ignorant.

By the time the most die-hard apologists and cap doffers eventually cop on that they’ve been made just as worse off as every other plebe, ‘pro-‘ or ‘anti-‘ or in-between irrespective, it’s way too late anyway.

People get the governance they deserve. Still. 😉

So what do you propose the average Joe should do about it? Don't suggest the ballot box, that's 2 years away, and a very crude system of 'holding the politicians to account.' And there's a nice little reward of several thousand pounds severance pay anyway(I believe it's £40,000 but wouldn't swear to it) and a nice seat on the board for those who lose their seat.

And don't get me started on the power of the media to interpret events in whatever image their media mogul bosses want.

Public enquiries are usually a very expensive can of whitewash, but it keeps the civil service and lawyers in business at our expense.

I deserve better.

So I ask again. What do you suggest?

20 minutes ago, Anna B said:

So what do you propose the average Joe should do about it? Don't suggest the ballot box, that's 2 years away, and a very crude system of 'holding the politicians to account.' And there's a nice little reward of several thousand pounds severance pay anyway(I believe it's £40,000 but wouldn't swear to it) and a nice seat on the board for those who lose their seat.

And don't get me started on the power of the media to interpret events in whatever image their media mogul bosses want.

Public enquiries are usually a very expensive can of whitewash, but it keeps the civil service and lawyers in business at our expense.

I deserve better.

This would seem to me as the ideal time for an ambitious politician to make a bid for leadership of the party.

I wonder why this is not  happening .

13 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

This would seem to me as the ideal time for an ambitious politician to make a bid for leadership of the party.

I wonder why this is not  happening .

Simple.  Nobody really wants the job at the moment.  We're looking at an economy that's going to be in a bit of a pickle for a few years yet, (possibly lasting up to the next Gen Election?), rising inflation; increased NI payments, pay freezes or lower than inflation pay rises, all mainly due to coming out of the pandemic but the general public won't see it as such & will be looking to blame someone. 

The role of PM for the next few years will be a bit of a poisoned chalice. 

37 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I deserve better.

Dunno + not particularly bothered about your plight + this isn’t the thread for it.

Besides, given Johnson’s resilience, i.e. the free pass which the British systems, establishment and public are apparently still giving him now, it doesn’t look solvable, tbh.

5 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Regarding the allegations of MP's being blackmailed to make them toe the line. 

Now that he's 'stepped across the floor', why doesn't MP Christian Wakeford and / or William Wragg, name names as to who did threatening or in modern parlance, call the individual / individuals out?  I'm sure the electorate would be interested to know if their particular MP was threatening fellow MP's? 

Additionally, as they are MP's they have Parliamentary privilege & could name individuals in the House without the threat of impunity. 

:thumbsup:

William Wragg is meeting with the police next week about the blackmail allegations, and around a dozen other MPs are alleging they were blackmailed. Should be another interesting week next week.