The Conservative Party - Part Two.

6 hours ago, Mister M said:

Private Eye is reporting that Downing Street offered to relax covid rules for Philip's funeral, but the Queen declined saying she should set an example not be an exception.

That's true leadership.

I fully agree with you.

9 hours ago, Delbow said:

The Guardian also report that Wakeford previously co-sponsored a bill advocating that where MPs defect, a bye election should be called. With a hard right voting record, I'm not sure this is much of a coup for Labour. They should call a bye election and stand someone else as a candidate - they'd win it.

On  news tonight Labour members  in area where he is now a “ Labour “ Mp , are not welcoming and happy with him 

Angie on Peston calling for a general election . Who was the last Labour Mp who did that and how did it end ?

Guest sibon
17 minutes ago, West 77 said:

There can be no guarantee he will be selected as a candidate for Labour at the next general election.  Neither the local Labour supporters or the Tories will want him.  

I agree totally.

I don't like all of this swapping allegiances. Labour should have told him to sit as an independent and vote with them if he wished. 

I read that two of his office staff are Conservative councillors.  Work should be awkward today!

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

There can be no guarantee he will be selected as a candidate for Labour at the next general election.  Neither the local Labour supporters or the Tories will want him.  

If he hasnt got those assurances, then he is either brave or just wants to serve one term.

20 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Maybe some ordinary people put the interest of the country before their own 

Feathering your own nest with millions is NOT putting your country first

“Levelling up”:

Mafia-grade pork barrel politics, more like.

Conservative voters must be feeling so proud these days 😏

Can’t wait for what Tory story breaks out tomorrow.  Forget your soaps, X factors and other dancing-eating celebs, this  is entertainment crack 😆

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

Agreed.

Which ever party they are from I have no time for MPs who cross the floor to join another party.  They should stay with the party they were elected to serve and help make their leader accountable for their actions.  Who would want to vote for a traitor?  

We need reform to hold a by-election  when this happens.  

Edited by hauxwell

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

I don't know whether Keir Starmer has the authority to give assurances. 

He's really shot himself in the foot with this stunt.  All for the sake of one seat.  

He'd have had more respect if he'd said to Wakeford "Thanks, but no thanks.  Be an independent for a year first then lets talk".

You'd normally expect a defection to hurt the party they've defected from, but I don't think the Tories have come out the worst in all this.

3 hours ago, L00b said:

“Levelling up”:

Mafia-grade pork barrel politics, more like.

Conservative voters must be feeling so proud these days 😏

Can’t wait for what Tory story breaks out tomorrow.  Forget your soaps, X factors and other dancing-eating celebs, this  is entertainment crack 😆

"Nobody told me blackmail was a crime, I'm as shocked as you are, we will need to wait for the Sue Gray report."