The Conservative Party - Part Two.

1 hour ago, RJRB said:

I am getting extremely tired of the “High Skills,High Wage” mantra.

All jobs require some skills from carers ,fork lift drivers,etc etc to rocket scientists and brain surgeons.

Not all skills translate to high earnings.

It’s just empty rhetoric 

We have spent decades encouraging kids into further education and have a surfeit of graduates and a shortage of drivers ,nurses,carers and tradesmen.

Short term government thinking is led by the short term political ambition

The by product of high skills/high wages would surely be increased immigration as well. I agree that certain jobs - carers, hgv drivers, - are more skilled than are credited (look at damage people do who aren't good at those jobs) but there are jobs that people wont do and will require immigrants.

3 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

The "high skill, high wage" is particularly dishonest in the context of Brexit where the main effect, at least in the short term, is "same or lower skill, high wage" because Brexit has created a shortage in particular areas where none existed before.

University courses that allow students to become nurses and doctors. I dont see how a good education is a negative for anyone, high or low immigration is a different issue.

3 hours ago, the_bloke said:

It's like the idea of getting every school leaver to go to university to study watered down courses after scraping an E in a single A level hasn't worked well in the long run isn't it.

Ah, now don't go questioning the 'right' to higher education far all!

26 minutes ago, El Cid said:

University courses that allow students to become nurses and doctors. I dont see how a good education is a negative for anyone, high or low immigration is a different issue.

Perhaps, I have it wrong but it seems to me that Boris was trying to make a virtue of necessity. We have certain types of work formerly done by cheap labour from Eastern Europe for which we are now going to have to pay more. Boris has wanted to suggest this paying more is part of a move to a "high skill, high wage" Britain when it is nothing of the kind.

You are pointing out a different issues. I have no issue with that but it does not extinguish the validity of the point I was making.

43 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

I have no issue with that but it does not extinguish the validity of the point I was making.

Employers do need to suffer in order for them to increase workers pay. I had a cleaner a few months ago, she moved house so it became unviable for her. The going rate may be much higher now.

I can either pay the money or live in squalor  :)

On 15/10/2021 at 18:36, El Cid said:

Employers do need to suffer in order for them to increase workers pay. I had a cleaner a few months ago, she moved house so it became unviable for her. The going rate may be much higher now.

I can either pay the money or live in squalor  :)

Do you really think businesses and bosses will 'suffer'

Prices and costs will rise to accommodate, any wage rises may be negated by rising food prices etc

50 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Do you really think businesses and bosses will 'suffer'

Prices and costs will rise to accommodate, any wage rises may be negated by rising food prices etc

Suffer in the sense that they are appearing in the media saying that there is a shortage of workers, some will suffer from worker shortages.

Such as hospitality that cannot get staff, pig farmers needing to slaughter their own pigs. Thousands of pigs that would have been perfect for human food will probably end up in pet food. So the money paid to the farmer will be much lower.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Suffer in the sense that they are appearing in the media saying that there is a shortage of workers, some will suffer from worker shortages.

Such as hospitality that cannot get staff, pig farmers needing to slaughter their own pigs. Thousands of pigs that would have been perfect for human food will probably end up in pet food. So the money paid to the farmer will be much lower.

It's the pigs that will suffer most.

On 15/10/2021 at 17:20, El Cid said:

I agree education is good, but a degree is not necessary for many jobs. That doesn't make the jobs less worthwhile. If the pandemic has taught us anything it's that these are vital jobs are the ones that we need to keep the economy/society turning. 

Yet in this country they are regarded with disdain and snobbishness, partly because they are underpaid and have no career structure, (but look what the career structure has done to the NHS.*)

This is must less prevalent in other countries, it's all part of our 'class system' so well established it is hard to eradicate. 

We must pay blue collar workers well, (by decreasing the overblown incomes further up the chain?) They are essential to our economy and way of life.

* Overblown with management. For many nurses getting into management rather than hands on nursing is the only way to climb the greasy pole. 

4 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I agree education is good, but a degree is not necessary for many jobs. That doesn't make the jobs less worthwhile. If the pandemic has taught us anything it's that these are vital jobs are the ones that we need to keep the economy/society turning. 

Yet in this country they are regarded with disdain and snobbishness, partly because they are underpaid and have no career structure, (but look what the career structure has done to the NHS.*)

This is must less prevalent in other countries, it's all part of our 'class system' so well established it is hard to eradicate. 

We must pay blue collar workers well, (by decreasing the overblown incomes further up the chain?) They are essential to our economy and way of life.

* Overblown with management. For many nurses getting into management rather than hands on nursing is the only way to climb the greasy pole. 

Indeed! :thumbsup:

And as I've said before...

... being a good nurse does not mean you will be a good manager! :|

There seems to be a completely no-win situation here. If they bring in a suit to be the qualified manager with all the relevant degrees who knows how to run a department and team of staff efficiently and knows how to manage all the administration competently - they get slagged off for having no real-world experience and the staff resent them because they claim they know how to run things better than the manager.

If an ex skilled nurse jumps onto the management ladder they get slagged off for just wanting to work their way up the greasy pole and staff resentment is caused because a former "down to earth, shop floor" colleague is suddenly telling their friends what to do when to do it. Then we have the other tricky situation of whether someone working up from the shop floor has the sufficient academics and qualifications to know competently how to manage a team of staff and the administration.

Seems no matter what way they do it, staff never seem to be happy.

Edited by ECCOnoob