The Conservative Party - Part Two.

Interesting look at the Tories at the conference by Owen Jones and they are blaming everybody but themselves for everything and denying everything else

7 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Go on....

The Scandinavian countries. They finish top of many league tables.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

That is certainly very different to the BBCs fact-check.

Very similar in the “facts” covered I thought.

Boris Johnson is always upbeat which I admit is is appealing. But he's either genuinely that way because he's so out of touch he has no idea of the trials and tribulations ordinary people face in the real world, or it's a deliberate act of telling porkies to to the plebs and the brainless to keep them quiet. You decide...

Either way it shows patronising contempt for the man in the street.

Edited by Anna B

This isn't going to go down well.

It’s grim having to live on £82,000 a year, wails Sir Peter Bottomley, UK’s longest-serving MP

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/10/06/sir-peter-bottomley-bemoans-having-live-82000-year/

Sir Peter went on to say that the situation is “desperately difficult” for some of his colleagues in the House of Commons. “I don’t know how they manage,” he said. “It’s really grim.”

The basic annual salary for an MP is £81,932. It is, by anyone’s standards, a serious amount of money.

To describe it as “really grim” – the median salary in the UK is just over £31,000 – is tactless, particularly at a time when the government is cutting universal credit and when millions of people are still feeling the financial impact of Brexit and Covid.

I am sure, given the chance, Sir Peter would want to rephrase his remarks.

@alchresearch he has a point generally but IMO not for the reasons he's expressed.

£82k isn't an especially high professional salary and if we are to expect that that legislators should bring talent and knowledge to the post (rather than second-hand rhetoric and a geography degree) it's not unreasonable to expect appropriate remuneration that allows careers to be made. OR at least a career break if they are Lib-Dems. 

Because it's neither fish-nor-fowl politics attracts people who either have no talent or more money that Croesus. The average middle of the road professional with potential just won't be attracted to politics. 

So yes, I think that MPs should be paid considerably more. Much more. I also think that there should be far fewer of them and that they should spend at least half the year in their constituencies. 

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

Boris Johnson is always upbeat which I admit is is appealing. But he's either genuinely that way because he's so out of touch he has no idea of the trials and tribulations ordinary people face in the real world, or it's a deliberate act of telling porkies to to the plebs and the brainless to keep them quiet. You decide...

You don't need to decide - there are old videos of him being interviewed when younger admitting its all an act. And the person in the interview is most certainly not the person people see nowadays - the person is extremely intellectual, thinks carefully before answering and there is no bluster or jokes.

37 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The Minister would have been singing last year if the conference hadn't been cancelled as a consequence of the pandemic. Have you something against members of  political parties celebrating big general election victories at party conferences?

No - but she should at least be cognisant that there are 6 million people who her department are responsible for who are having their benefits cut.

I know asking sensitivity of a Tory minister to vulnerable people is a big ask; but her singing she's having the time of her life just an hour after millions who her department share a responsibility are having their benefit cut, is going to look awful.

31 minutes ago, Mister M said:

No - but she should at least be cognisant that there are 6 million people who her department are responsible for who are having their benefits cut.

I know asking sensitivity of a Tory minister to vulnerable people is a big ask; but her singing she's having the time of her life just an hour after millions who her department share a responsibility are having their benefit cut, is going to look awful.

They haven't. A temporary uplift has ended.

Didn't have £20 extra before Covid and they don't now.  

38 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Grow up .

57 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I’m struggling to think how a 49 year old who looks so unhealthy is having the time of their life. Here she is a few years ago.

https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/image-editorial/spectator-magazine-summer-party-01-jul-2015-7529384cz