The Conservative Party - Part Two.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

Did you not know that Cameron studied economics at Oxford University?  Did you not know that David Cameron was the Special Adviser to Norman Lamont when he was Chancellor of the Exchequer  during John Mayor's time as Prime Minister?   Someone of David Cameron's experience and knowledge will have been a huge asset to an investment company such as Greenhill Capital.  

Studying something and doing it are a million miles apart, and as for advising Lamont in Major’s terrible reign doesn’t impress me.

10 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Lucky for David Cameron he didn't have to impress unimportant people without any influence to gain the highly lucrative role he was given by Greenhill Capital. 

He just needed his little black book of contacts. If they needed a loan why didn't they just apply via the normal channels like every one else.  The chancellor gave details about the loans/support available and there was lots of information about how to apply for them. I don't see why you need ex PM for this.

Guest sibon
8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

They most likely did apply for a government covid loan via the normal channels.  At the end of the day around 250 people lost their jobs as a consequence of the collapse of Greenhill Capital.  Those former employees will have expected Greenhill Capital including David Cameron to use every trick in the book to try and save their jobs and prevent the collapse of the business.

There’s using every legal trick in the book and there is trading fraudulently. They are very different things.

It might be prudent to wait for the outcome of the investigation before trying to defend Cameron’s actions. We can all see his naked greed and lack of morals, it’s just possible that there is more to come.

So Rishi is more popular than Boris and tipped to be the next leader, so Boris wants rid?

Tory MPs back Sunak after prime minister’s threat to sack him

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/aug/09/tory-mps-back-sunak-after-prime-ministers-threat-to-sack-him

46529951-9881581-image-a-58_162863192440

Guest sibon
33 minutes ago, West 77 said:

As far as I know there are no allegations of any fraudulent trading or fraudulent activity.  

Maybe you need to know a bit more then.

As far as I know there are no allegations of any fraudulent trading or fraudulent activity. 

... oh dear. Let me get you started: google 'Greensill' rather than 'Greenhill'.

David Cameron hasn't been accused of any wrongdoing meaning the whole saga is more about political point scoring than anything else.

Yes he has. Unless that is the boundary of your notion of wrongdoing stops at illegality.

4 hours ago, West 77 said:

As far as I know there are no allegations of any fraudulent trading or fraudulent activity.  David Cameron hasn't been accused of any wrongdoing meaning the whole saga is more about political point scoring than anything else.

What political points do you think the Tory dominated select committee that criticised Cameron were hoping to score?

1 minute ago, West 77 said:

I was referring to the anti Tory brigade  here and the opposition parties when I mentioned political point scoring. If the rules need to be changed then they should be changed. Jealously also happens within the Tory party and no doubt some Tory politicians are jealous that David Cameron earned a good wedge as a consequence of him being a former Tory Prime Minister.

Or they could just think, like many of us on here, that he acted unethically. He's certainly now an embarrassment to the party.

5 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I don't feel the need to google anything before I post my comments,

No, I noticed that. I was just trying to save you from the embarrassment of referring to 'Greenhill' post after post when the implicated company is 'Greensill'. I am sure you would not want people thinking you didn't have a clue what you were talking about.

16 minutes ago, West 77 said:

David Cameron became an embarrassment when he supported remaining in the EU after he failed to secure any meaningful better terms for the UK remaining in the EU or getting them to reform.  I'm  just being reasonable and unbiased regarding the Greenshill Capital situation.

Just because you claim you're being reasonable and unbiased doesn't make it so. Others will judge whether you are being reasonable and unbiased based on what you post.

8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

By others, I assume you mean the regular biased anti Tory brigade incorporated with the anti Brexit brigade and anti Boris brigade.

As usual, your assumptions are wrong. I mean everyone other than you.

Everyone here is judged by everyone else based on what they post rather than what they claim (with the possible exception of those who know each other in real life, but they are few).

2 hours ago, West 77 said:
3 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

No, I noticed that. I was just trying to save you from the embarrassment of referring to 'Greenhill' post after post when the implicated company is 'Greensill'. I am sure you would not want people thinking you didn't have a clue what you were talking about.

Well done for googling and getting the correct spelling for Greenshill Capital.  As Mrs Merton used to say give yourself a big clap.

I'll give it one last go. A naive person lobbying government without disclosing they are a lobbyist would be a 'green shill' as in David Cameron was a green* shill on behalf of Greensill. There, I have even given you a way of remembering the distinction between Greenshill and Greensill.

* This assumes Cameron did not know there was something awry with Greensill.