The Conservative Party - Part Two.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

He signed off on the deal because there are provisions in the agreement to make changes to the Northern Ireland protocol.  At the time it was agreed that Northern Ireland would decide if the protocol remained in place after  4 years.  Arlene Foster the former DPU leader stated last night on GB News there are provisions in place for the protocol to be changed. Arlene Foster also pointed out the EU intended to make changes to the protocol within weeks of it coming into being to prevent covid vaccines from crossing the Ireland border into Northern Ireland.  We all should be supporting our own government on this issue regardless of how we voted in the EU referendum.

I wonder if Arlene could quote, specifically, where it said that in the agreement. I bet she couldn't.

If it was going to change in a few weeks - which of course it wasnt because foster is talking out of her arse - why not wait a few weeks?

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, West 77 said:

We all should be supporting our own government on this issue regardless of how we voted in the EU referendum.

I’ll support this government when it starts to represent me and take my views into account.

Until then, I shall oppose it, just as it opposes me and over 50% of the U.K. electorate.

8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You embarrass yourself my making  ignorant crude comments directed towards the former first minister of Northern Ireland. Arlene Foster has made no secret of the fact she has never been in favour of the Northern Ireland protocol meaning she has no good reason to make claims that aren't true regarding the provisions in place to make changes.  It's perfectly obvious to anyone with an open mind  that isn't anti Tory / anti Brexit that the DUP will have been told by the Tory Government at the time that  future changes could be made to the Northern Ireland protocol and they will have checked out the agreement for themselves. 

Solutions can be easily found such as a trusted trader arrangement for food companies selling products for Northern Ireland based supermarkets and other food outlets and the EU could recognise  UK food standards to be equal to EU food standards. 

So, again, why not wait and get it right first time?

4 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Arlene Foster has made no secret of the fact she has never been in favour of the Northern Ireland protocol meaning she has no good reason to make claims that aren't true regarding the provisions in place to make changes.

So why did she agree to it then ??

It's perfectly obvious to anyone with an open mind  that isn't anti Tory / anti Brexit that the DUP will have been told by the Tory Government at the time that  future changes could be made to the Northern Ireland protocol and they will have checked out the agreement for themselves.

So you're saying that Shagger Boris lied to Arlene Foster and the sectarian bigots of the DUP, indicating that changes could easily be made to the NI protocol, when they can't?

That's what you get for trusting a lying Tory.

7 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It was important for the whole of the UK to get Brexit done as quickly as possible when Boris became Prime Minister  after the  undemocratic actions of the rogue parliament supported by the rogue speaker who sought to cheat 17.4 million UK people out of their democratic wish to leave the EU.  The Northern Ireland protocol was better for the whole of the UK than the backstop agreed by Theresa May's negotiating team and it was judged to be better in the interests of the whole of the UK to leave the EU with the Northern Ireland protocol rather than a no deal.  It made common sense to go with an agreement which was mostly okay knowing there was provisions in place to resolve the Northern Ireland protocol problems at a later date.

Utter nonsense. It's well documented and a historic fact that Arlene Foster and the DUP didn't support the withdrawal agreement because of the Northern Ireland protocol.

It was important for Boris Johnson to do it quickly.

It was important for the country to do it right, and they haven't.

The truth is the rogue parliament supported by the rogue speaker would have voted against any new  withdrawal agreement  negotiated by Boris at the time.  The rogue parliament prevented Boris from calling an election for several months in order to secure a better negotiating position with the EU. It was only after Boris won the general election in December 2019 that the Tories had a big working majority in parliament to pass legislation which was after the changes to Theresa May's withdrawal agreement had already been negotiated with the EU.  The withdrawal agreement that the UK left the EU with was in no way perfect but it's the rogue parliament during Theresa May's time as prime minister and the early months when Boris replaced her who are to blame because their objective was simply to block Brexit rather than help secure a better withdrawal agreement.

Not true at all.

Edited by tinfoilhat

So it's reported that just 25% of the public believe Johnson has done a good job in his two years as PM.  Presumably those people don't have relatives who:

- work in the NHS 

- reside in care homes 

- are of school age 

- are needlessly having to self-isolate after being pinged.

On the latest derisory pay offer for nurses - I would have thought the widely publicised "£320 million per week" generated for the NHS by Brexit would enable more than a 3% pay rise.

Or was Johnson lying?  25% of the public think he's honest, I suppose.

48 minutes ago, steved32 said:

So it's reported that just 25% of the public believe Johnson has done a good job in his two years as PM.  Presumably those people don't have relatives who:

- work in the NHS 

- reside in care homes 

- are of school age 

- are needlessly having to self-isolate after being pinged.

On the latest derisory pay offer for nurses - I would have thought the widely publicised "£320 million per week" generated for the NHS by Brexit would enable more than a 3% pay rise.

Or was Johnson lying?  25% of the public think he's honest, I suppose.

What with the catalogue of errors and misjudgements which have proven fatal for tens of thousands of the public, I'm amazed that the figure of 25% of the public believing Johnson's done a good job in his two years as PM is as high as it is. 

The press and Tories mocked Labour for the 'cult of Jeremy Corbyn', it's clear to me that the 25% of people poled, and their cheerleaders in the press are definitely part of a Johnson cult. This weekend, LBC had a retrospective of Johnson's time in No 10 and the people ringing in to praise him all sounded like they'd had an empathy bypass, and completely oblivious or unaffected to the damage he and his government have inflicted.

Edited by Mister M

3 hours ago, steved32 said:

So it's reported that just 25% of the public believe Johnson has done a good job in his two years as PM.......

Where and when was that reported?

On 22/07/2021 at 10:49, tinfoilhat said:

It was important for Boris Johnson to do it quickly.

It was important for the country to do it right, and they haven't.

Never a truer word.

He rode a populist tide of nationalistic fervour to secure his position of P.M.

Every problem had to be swept under the carpet by Lord Frost and his negotiating team to Get Brexit Done by the required date.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

Boris Johnson’s poll lead has fallen sharply.

I agree with the first comment in that link...

"Another example of lazy Journalism" and no references to actual data, but that's not surprising as it is from a very anti brexit author in an anti brexit news rag that can't help referencing brexit at the earliest convenience.

A bit of a better attempt based on an actual poll unlike the above rant by Patrick Cockburn. 

Old news which we have discussed before.