The Conservative Party - Part Two.

25 minutes ago, altus said:

The fact that the Anglo Irish agreement predates the Maastricht Treaty is irrelevant, it's what they both enabled that counts.

The Maastricht Treaty, and the formation of the EU single market that it lead to, enabled the removal of border posts between NI and the Republic. Without the removal of the border posts, it's difficult to see how the GFA could have happened. Not having border posts is so important to the GFA, and hence peace in NI, that Boris has put our border with the EU in the Irish Sea rather than on the island itself.

The GFA  agreement was about demilitarization and the removal of fortified army barracks, police stations and watchtowers along the border. It never mentioned anything about the borders or border posts itself. It was designed to end conflicts along the borders and help bring about peace.

Quote from the BBC:

"The agreement states that "the development of a peaceful environment... can and should mean a normalisation of security arrangements and practices."

The government committed to "as early a return as possible to normal security arrangements in Northern Ireland, consistent with the level of threat".

That included "the removal of security installations". That is as far as the text goes."

So not having border posts was never part of the GFA but something that was seized upon by the EU as a brexit bargaining chip.

Edited by apelike

24 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Another anti Tory/ anti Brexit loser posting utter nonsense. How on earth can anyone who has full faculties imply the Anglo Ireland Agreement is irrelevant. Another big player in bringing about  the Good Friday Agreement is the late great Margaret Thatcher who gave permission for secret talks to take place between representatives for the Tory government and the leaders of the IRA which again happened years before the Maastricht Treat was signed.  Posters like you and Magilla's ruination is that there are forum members who were fully grown adults in the 70's, 80's and 90's who are of sound mind and remember these historic events as they happened.

Calm down, let the red mist fade and then re-read what I actually wrote. I never said the Anglo Irish agreement was irrelevant - I said the relative timing between it and Maastricht Treaty was.

Maggie's role as the architect of the EU single market also had a big effect in bringing about the GFA.

Your ruination is assuming that the people you disagree with are young whipper snappers who weren't around at the time.

37 minutes ago, apelike said:

The GFA  agreement was about demilitarization and the removal of fortified army barracks, police stations and watchtowers along the border. It never mentioned anything about the borders or border posts itself. It was designed to end conflicts along the borders and help bring about peace.

I don't disagree with that but given that the border posts were targeted by the IRA, "demilitarization and the removal of fortified army barracks, police stations and watchtowers along the border" would not have been practical without something that made the border posts redundant. That something was the Maastricht Treaty/EU single market not the Anglo Irish agreement.

8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

You're playing semantics now. You clearly implied the Anglo Irish Agreement was irrelevant.

I'm not and I didn't. You made a big deal of the Anglo Irish Agreement being earlier than the Maastricht Treaty. I pointed out that it was what the deals enabled that was important not when they were signed.

37 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I never made a big deal of the Anglo Ireland  Agreement at all. I merely pointed out to Magilla that the Anglo Ireland Agreement happened several years before the Maastricht Treaty was signed which blew his ludicrous claim that the Good Friday Agreement wouldn't have happened if it was not for the Maastricht Treaty out of the water.  

You're having reading comprehension problems again - I said you made a big deal about the timing of the agreement. You're still doing so in that post.

You're going to have to do better than 'it was earlier' if you want to claim you've blow anything out of the water. Try focussing on the content of the agreement rather than the timing.

There were those who said that the transgressions of Dominic Cummings were a storm in a teacup,and Johnson was right to back his  ludicrous story.

Johnson’s judgement has been questionable over a number of issues and he repeatedly demonstrates that he is not P.M. material.

Dominic and me agree on that one.

23 minutes ago, West 77 said:

No worries.  I sure there are some who like to read your propaganda.          

Dominic will be delighted you're in agreement,

It's all rather amusing that a year ago that there were many who didn't believe a word Dominic Cummings said and now the very same people believe every word he says because it's to their liking what he is now saying.

Are you and him on first name terms then?

23 minutes ago, West 77 said:

No worries.  I sure there are some who like to read your propaganda.          

Dominic will be delighted you're in agreement,

It's all rather amusing that a year ago that there were many who didn't believe a word Dominic Cummings said and now the very same people believe every word he says because it's to their liking what he is now saying.

Amen to that brother. I bet Laura rather enjoyed that interview .

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Amen to that brother. I bet Laura rather enjoyed that interview .

Are you and her on first name terms then?

3 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

Are you and her on first name terms then?

Not really , just cannot spell her surname .

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

Not really , just cannot spell her surname .

I understand!

56 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Never met him, but he's now RJRB's best buddy.

A good tip is to read a post above the one you intend to quote  or read what has been quoted before you make your own post then you might not look such a silly Mister Man.

Dominic is no buddy of mine,but he was a big buddy of Johnson,Gove and most of those who supported Brexit.

They totally deserve each other and I merely stand on the sidelines ...laughing.