The Conservative Party - Part Two.

9 minutes ago, The Joker said:

I remember a generation ago, Tory MPs would be expected to resign if they'd been caught sticking their willies where they shouldn't, or fathering illegitimate offspring.

Well indeed. I always remember that poor Tory MP who died due to auto asphyxiation and was found with a whole orange in his mouth.... 

3 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Very strange you should remember such an event.  Have they made a film or TV serious about it similar to the Jeremy Thorpe story?

It was indeed a very strange time; Tory MPs would act with some modicum of shame, even if they lacked honour or integrity.

1 minute ago, West 77 said:

If what Mister M has told is true then the Tory MP ended up dead meaning he couldn't show any modicum of shame after the incident. The only real old washer woman gossip I can bring to the party is I know a former prison officer who gave one of former Tory MP Jefferey Archer's prison visitors  a lift all the way to the Norwich railway station.  The visitor just happened to be Dame Edna Everage.  No special treatment according to the ex prison officer but he did admit he hadn't given any other prison visitor a lift to Norwich railway station or to any other destination.  

Stephen Mulligan was the MPs name. 

11 hours ago, Anna B said:

7% of the population attend private schools (who charge very hefty fees unaffordable to most.) Which means 93% of the population go to state schools. 

Yet when it comes to jobs, nearly 50% of the top jobs go to privately educated people, which is grossly out of proportion and discriminates against people who went to state schools.

There's nothing quite like the old boy's network is there... 

So , as I asked before ,why do old Etonians not join the Labour party ?

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

Well indeed. I always remember that poor Tory MP who died due to auto asphyxiation and was found with a whole orange in his mouth.... 

Did he resign?

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

Did he resign?

Almost unbelievably crass.

5 hours ago, Shreddie said:

The 'levelling up' was never going to happen. The country could not afford it when the promise was made and certainly cannot afford it now or anytime soon.

So levelling up isn't going to happen, the solution to social care which was 'ready to go' isn't going to happen... ls there anything Boris promised before the election going to happen, or was it all just lies to get the suckers to vote for him?

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

So levelling up isn't going to happen, the solution to social care which was 'ready to go' isn't going to happen... ls there anything Boris promised before the election going to happen, or was it all just lies to get the suckers to vote for him?

Just like Trump only lasted one term, that will be the same for Johnson. A person can only tell so many lies, untill they get found out.

Its very poor that UK children know that their Prime Minister is a liar, it sets a bad example for everyone.

3 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

Yes that was him. He was in a long line of ministers that seemed not to have heeded the 'back to basics' mantra of John Major....But then neither did John Major, according to Edwina Currie.

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

So , as I asked before ,why do old Etonians not join the Labour party ?

Did he resign?

Some old Etonians prominent in the Labour Party were educated at Eton. Tam Dalyell is one that springs to mind. There may have been others. Though I'm surprised you don't know Hacks, seeing as though it's such a boring, well worn cliche for Tories to know if Labour MPs, or their offspring are privately educated, so the charge of hypocrisy can be levelled against them if they are.

Mr Milligan didn't get a chance to resign. He died as a result of autoerotic asphyxiation  :confused:

49 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Pretty certain that Johnson's social care plan which was 'ready to go' at the election was another of his lies.

I don't even know if the Tory voters in these so called 'red wall' areas are especially bothered about levelling up.  Brexit seemed to be their chief rallying cry, and Johnson, who was never a committed Brexiteer by ideology, delivered. 

Though I suppose there is some irony that the huge amount of public money needed to 'level up' will be next to impossible to deliver, simply because of the economic hit that Brexit will cause.

Edited by Mister M

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

....Its very poor that UK children know that their Prime Minister is a liar, it sets a bad example for everyone.

You really dont believe that... or do you?  :huh: I can't imagine many parents sitting down and telling their kids that the Prime Minister is a liar when most parents probably have lied to their kids plenty of times. Makes for a good comedy sketch though..... 

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

.....Though I suppose there is some irony that the huge amount of public money needed to 'level up' will be next to impossible to deliver, simply because of the economic hit that Brexit will cause.

Me bolded.

I notice you say will cause when it's perfectly obvious that any economic hit that may materialise will be because of covid and not brexit.

Edited by apelike

24 minutes ago, apelike said:

You really dont believe that... or do you?  :huh: I can't imagine many parents sitting down and telling their kids that the Prime Minister is a liar when most parents probably have lied to their kids plenty of times. Makes for a good comedy sketch though..... 

Me bolded.

I notice you say will cause when it's perfectly obvious that any economic hit that may materialise will be because of covid and not brexit.

Yes of course, and the Tories will want blame future economic woes on Covid rather than Brexit.

I'm pretty sure it was on this thread (or perhaps the Consequences of Brexit thread) that another poster listed the financial organisations that have already upsticks and left the UK for continental Europe, citing Brexit as the reason they chose to leave the UK.

Edited by Mister M