The Conservative Party - Part Two.

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

The point is the Daily Mail is very influential no matter what it says, I believe it has the highest readership of any paper, and seems to appeal across a broad and varied demographic. That doesn't make what it says true, but nevertheless what it says is controlling minds across the board, and is therefore significant.

The Daily Mail's daily circulation is approximately 1.1 million sales per day but this is topped by The Sun with approximately 1.2 million copies. 

If you want a decent newspaper, try the 'i' newspaper (the old Independent).  Personally I think it's a bit of a misnomer & people give to much credence in the belief that newspapers in this day & age, sway the public into voting a particular way or generally influence their politics? 

If you look at the facts, newspaper circulation has fallen considerably in the last two decades since the rise of social media.  People are more likely to be influenced by media influencers, celebrities, social media groups & echo chambers / chat rooms, that people latch on too, including sites like SF. 

Now if you believe that the public is stupid because they can be influenced by reading the Daily Mail, The Sun, Daily Mirror, how stupid would you have to be, to be influenced by someone, such as a 'Z list' celebrity, who once appeared on 'Celebrity Big Brother' or 'The Only Way is Essex' who can reach a much wider audience? 

Edited by Baron99

Just now, Baron99 said:

The Daily Mail's daily circulation is approximately 1.1 million sales per day but this is topped by The Sun with approximately 1.2 million copies. 

If you want a decent newspaper, try the 'i' newspaper (the old Independent).  

Never read it, as it came out after I bothered reading newspapers - physical or online - is it 'independent' or aligned with a certain ideology?

14 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Never read it, as it came out after I bothered reading newspapers - physical or online - is it 'independent' or aligned with a certain ideology?

I'd say the 'i' is basically independent.  It just reports the news & they have a balance of commentators with political views from all sides. 

What really makes it a good paper is that you'll see a story, think that doesn't appeal to you but within a few sentences, you'll be hooked & it'll lead yo into wanting to know more. 

Thanks for that information. IF I get the inclination, I may have a look.

11 hours ago, hackey lad said:

The Daily Mail  has been roundly slaughtered on this forum for false or biased reporting , yet now you are happy to quote them . Hypocritical or what ?

I suppose like a stopped clock, it'll be correct twice a day 😂

Anyway - here are other links to the story if you prefer :

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-wallpaper-flat-refurb-b1850209.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-carrie-symonds-840-24138399

https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/19/boris-johnsons-840-a-roll-downing-street-wallpaper-falling-down-14605970/

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boris-johnson-flat-revamp-peeling-lulu-lytle-wallpaper-leaves-prime-minister-out-of-pocket-95zz3pswg

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/boris-johnson-wallpaper-falling-down-number-11-flat-carrie-symonds-b935991.html

Just hope there's more evidence and less supposition/hyperbole in those reports - and no, I've got better things to do than read them.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Just hope there's more evidence and less supposition/hyperbole in those reports - and no, I've got better things to do than read them.

So even though each article could carefully lay out how our dear leader is gaming the system, you'd rather not know and just hope it's nonsense?

Then still vote conservative next time out presumably?

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

So even though each article could carefully lay out how our dear leader is gaming the system, you'd rather not know and just hope it's nonsense?

Then still vote conservative next time out presumably?

'Could' being the operative word - I suspect they are probably re-hashes of the M-o-L story.

BTW - My voting intentions are  private , but just for your interest, I haven't voted Conservative for quite a while.

4 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

'Could' being the operative word - I suspect they are probably re-hashes of the M-o-L story.

BTW - My voting intentions are  private , but just for your interest, I haven't voted Conservative for quite a while.

You'll never know!

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

You'll never know!

But I suspect I am right. 😉

Just now, tinfoilhat said:

You'll never know!

Don’t be like that TinFoilHat.  I bet you don’t always not believe what you didn’t read in a paper you haven’t read!

I don’t read papers either.  Because I’m sooo edgy.