The Conservative Party - Part Two.

27 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Thanks for your helpful and reasoned reply

No problem, I like to be succinct and to the point.

21 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

For the reasons I have just highlighted. Primarily because people are selfish - it's literally the cornerstone of conservative ideology. 

And FPTP system doesn't help.

Trouble is selfishness and the ruthless 'me first' attitude has now been officially sanctioned as being acceptable by this abominable Tory party and it is spreading across all society. Ultimately, especially in the pursuit of unbridled capitalism and irreversable climate change, it will bring about the end of us all.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Trouble is selfishness and the ruthless 'me first' attitude has now been officially sanctioned as being acceptable by this abominable Tory party and it is spreading across all society. Ultimately, especially in the pursuit of unbridled capitalism and irreversable climate change, it will bring about the end of us all.

I agree, the selfishness does spread to us poor folk lower down the food chain. Everyone must carry on the good fight and help each other.

There are still many non-Tory local authorities doing their best for their local communities. Maybe the coming austerity will bring people together.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

I agree, the selfishness does spread to us poor folk lower down the food chain. Everyone must carry on the good fight and help each other.

There are still many non-Tory local authorities doing their best for their local communities. Maybe the coming austerity will bring people together.

Unfortunately when the chips are down in this country, a lot of people turn on each other. The press revel in printing stories about scroungers on the dole getting a few quid more than they're entitled to. The Tories too are past masters at divide and rule

5 hours ago, Mister M said:

Unfortunately when the chips are down in this country, a lot of people turn on each other. The press revel in printing stories about scroungers on the dole getting a few quid more than they're entitled to. The Tories too are past masters at divide and rule

I agree. There seems to be a very unfortunate trait in British people to criticise and look down on others who have fallen on hard times, without ever once thinking 'there but for the grace of God...'

They seem to think punishment is an appropriate reaction to poverty, rather than help or support.

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

I agree. There seems to be a very unfortunate trait in British people to criticise and look down on others who have fallen on hard times, without ever once thinking 'there but for the grace of God...'

They seem to think punishment is an appropriate reaction to poverty, rather than help or support.

Not just the British. Psychologists  and spin doctors know how to work the media, nationalism and conforming to the will of the majority; the Conservatives have done it best recently, it used to be Tony Blairs strong point.

Getting a biased poll to show Starmer is failing is a recent one, but that came from the unions not the Tories.

8 hours ago, El Cid said:

Not just the British. Psychologists  and spin doctors know how to work the media, nationalism and conforming to the will of the majority; the Conservatives have done it best recently, it used to be Tony Blairs strong point.

Getting a biased poll to show Starmer is failing is a recent one, but that came from the unions not the Tories.

I believe Starmer is failing. He has disengaged a horde of Labour followers by removing the whip from Jeremy Corbyn, and even those that didn't particularly like Corbyn's brand of politics know he was a decent, non-racist man who didn't deserve that treatment. 

The rest don't think Starmer is committed enough to bring about real change. He's a bit of a stooge, just a closet Tory. 

Unfortunately we are going to need the strongest possible, most determined opposition to turn things around in the coming austerity, and Starmer isn't it.

Whoever it is, is also going to have to get the media by the scruff of the neck and sort them out, to ensure fair and decent coverage in the MSM. At the moment I don't know how they are going to do that. 

Up against the establishment, and the power that money brings, the odds are stacked very much against them.

Maybe they will allow Starmer to win just to give the appearance of it being even handed, but that won't make a blind bit of difference in the end. Democracy is as good as dead.  

Edited by Anna B

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I believe Starmer is failing. He has disengaged a horde of Labour followers by removing the whip from Jeremy Corbyn, and those that didn't particularly like Corbyn's brand of politics know he was a decent, non-racist man who didn't deserve that treatment.

All leaders remove people that dont agree with the policies of the leader, Corbyn did the same. I dont know if it was necessary to remove Corbyn, but leaders need to appear strong.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I believe Starmer is failing. He has disengaged a horde of Labour followers by removing the whip from Jeremy Corbyn, and even those that didn't particularly like Corbyn's brand of politics know he was a decent, non-racist man who didn't deserve that treatment. 

The rest don't think Starmer is committed enough to bring about real change. He's a bit of a stooge, just a closet Tory. 

Unfortunately we are going to need the strongest possible, most determined opposition to turn things around in the coming austerity, and Starmer isn't it.

Whoever it is, is also going to have to get the media by the scruff of the neck and sort them out, to ensure fair and decent coverage in the MSM. At the moment I don't know how they are going to do that. 

Up against the establishment, and the power that money brings, the odds are stacked very much against them.

Maybe they will allow Starmer to win just to give the appearance of it being even handed, but that won't make a blind bit of difference in the end. Democracy is as good as dead.  

Who would your choice be?

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

If you dont like Labour/Tory, Andrew Cooper from the Greens is 100/1 and the rest are 150/1

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Who indeed? That's the problem...

At the moment I c.an't see anyone in the wings who is up to the job.

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Who indeed? That's the problem...

At the moment I c.an't see anyone in the wings who is up to the job.

Maybe you could consider taking a stand and becoming a candidate yourself.

If you feel there is such a distinct lack of voting options which suit yours and "ordinary" working class people's criteria and you have the courage in your convictions that you know what the voters really want go for it.

Our political system does offer such opportunity.  Others who have become disenfranchised with the offerings have taken similar steps in the past.   Some succeed, some fail but nobody knows until they put their neck out there.