The Conservative Party - Part Two.

14 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Your hairdresser hasn't worked with MP's - has he/she? I had phone numbers of people I worked with/had dealings with in my old job for ages after I retired - still have a couple 12+ years later.

12 minutes ago, West 77 said:

The released 2 texts by Rishi indicate that he was politely giving Cameron the brush off.  Surely it's up to Cameron to decide whether or not to release the text messages that Rishi replied to.

There was no Government loan given using public money. No wrong doing by Rishi or the Government.  

I personally don't believe former Prime Ministers should be lobbying for Government loans for private companies and putting themselves in the position Cameron was  in.  However, it was an unprecedented reason why Cameron appears to have been seeking a  covid-19 related Government loan for a private company.  

Let's be very clear here: I am not saying Sunak did anything (other than not immediately releasing these messages when he got them) wrong, what is wrong is that Cameron felt it was OK to text the Chancellor of the Exchequer to beg for a bailout for a corporation that paid him very handsomely for that exact privilege. 

This past year we have seen massive amounts of government money being handed out without following due process to 'mates' of ministers. This is a direct indication that the Conservatives think it is absolutely fine to abuse their position of power, entrusted to them by the people that voted for them, by choosing to work with people they 'like' rather than those that have demonstrated competence or an ability to compete on price and quality. The fact that the population of this country isn't outraged by this makes me very sad, it is OUR money that at worst is being squandered to corruption; at best, surreptitiously distributed. 

Dodgy Dave is in the news again. It seems establishment  networking, sleaze and corruption is rife among this mob of Tories.

https://news.sky.com/story/cameron-took-greensill-for-private-drink-with-hancock-to-discuss-nhs-payment-scheme-report-12272159

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/apr/11/tory-mps-claim-almost-3m-in-housing-rent-on-expenses

Edited by Mister Gee

So Bozza was going to follow data, not dates.

So given the spikes in some areas (e.g. Barnsley 3x infections) what's the explanation?

U turn, or another case of BJ resorting to his default setting... Lying?

10 minutes ago, steved32 said:

So Bozza was going to follow data, not dates.

So given the spikes in some areas (e.g. Barnsley 3x infections) what's the explanation?

U turn, or another case of BJ resorting to his default setting... Lying?

The public not following the guidelines - and what has that got to do with the PM, anyway?:confused:

1 hour ago, Mister Gee said:

You say it as if you're surprised.... 

It was clear before the election that that was what we were getting.

Plenty of people were pointing it out, (didn't people wonder why Boris refused to do the Andrew Neil's pre election interview which would have involved Neil's forensic probing?) 

But still people voted for them.... 

This country still seems to feel deferential to the upper classes, and assumes they must know better than them, when in fact all the Tories ever do is shaft them whilst working entirely in their own best interests.

9 minutes ago, Anna B said:

You say it as if you're surprised.... 

It was clear before the election that that was what we were getting.

Plenty of people were pointing it out, (didn't people wonder why Boris refused to do the Andrew Neil's pre election interview which would have involved Neil's forensic probing?) 

But still people voted for them.... 

This country still seems to feel deferential to the upper classes, and assumes they must know better than them, when in fact all the Tories ever do is shaft them whilst working entirely in their own best interests.

I’m not surprised at all, what gets me is how oblivious people are to this corruption. It’s a pity the Labour Party aren’t all over this but they seem to spend more time rowing with the left wingers in their party than they do the Tories.

Edited by Mister Gee

6 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

I’m not surprised at all, what gets me is how oblivious people are to this corruption. It’s a pity the Labour Party aren’t all over this but they seem to spend more time rowing with the left wingers in their party than they do the Tories.

I honestly don't think the Labour party play by the same rules. They seem to lack the nasty killer instinct that the Tories possess in spades. The Tories have honed their eviscerating skills over centuries, until with all that practise, they have achieved peak performance in the dirty tricks department.

Labour by comparison are relative newcomers. Besides they are a party that considers fairness as one of its founding principles, so are hardly as likely to employ such underhand tactics.

Sadly, in any fight, the guy with the knife will win against an unarmed man, but do you really want both to stoop to that level. It's just a pity that voters can't seem to appreciate the difference.

Edited by Anna B

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

I honestly don't think the Labour party play by the same rules. They seem to lack the nasty killer instinct that the Tories possess in spades. The Tories have honed their eviscerating skills over centuries, until with all that practise, they have achieved peak performance in the dirty tricks department.

Labour by comparison are relative newcomers. Besides they are a party that considers fairness as one of its founding principles, so are hardly as likely to employ such underhand tactics.

Sadly, in any fight, the guy with the knife will win against an unarmed man, but do you really want both to stoop to that level. It's just a pity that voters can't seem to appreciate the difference.

The left tend to be more concerned about ideological purity than power so  are willing to expend more effort fighting amongst themselves than doing the things necessary to get and maintain power. 

55 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

The left tend to be more concerned about ideological purity than power so  are willing to expend more effort fighting amongst themselves than doing the things necessary to get and maintain power. 

Exactly - all talk and little real action.

Edited by RollingJ

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

I think there's a lot to this. I remember in 2010 when the Tories made a big deal during the election of "no top down reorganisation of the NHS", then when they were elected they had a top down reorganisation of the NHS ready to go and implemented it straight away. For Labour to compete with the Tories they would need to be less honest, which says a lot about 'our' political system.

3 hours ago, Delbow said:

I think there's a lot to this. I remember in 2010 when the Tories made a big deal during the election of "no top down reorganisation of the NHS", then when they were elected they had a top down reorganisation of the NHS ready to go and implemented it straight away. For Labour to compete with the Tories they would need to be less honest, which says a lot about 'our' political system.

I agree. 

I also remember the spurious Tory claim repeated ad infinitum that 'Labour caused the financial crash.'

The Tories live by the mantra 'tell a lie often enough and it becomes the truth.' They are of course supported in this by a Tory Establishment and Tory owned press. We really do need someone to hold them to account, and sadly Starmer isn't up to it.

And the Labour Party never makes dubious claims?  - I refer you to Tony Blair's famous WMD claim.