The Conservative Party - Part Two.

14 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Look at this man, he doesn't care that the leader of his party is a serial liar. That's a total disgrace, these Tories don't seem to have any moral compass at all.

To be fair to the folk of this country it wasn't a majority who voted for the Tories 15 months ago. It's only the bizarre vagaries of the UK parliamentary system which affords a massive majority of seats to 43.6% of the vote.

Edited by Mister Gee

Works both ways though, doesn't it/

Just now, RollingJ said:

Works both ways though, doesn't it/

That’s the oddest full stop I’ve ever seen.

9 minutes ago, Mister Gee said:

That’s the oddest full stop I’ve ever seen.

Actually, it was intended as a '?' - just hit the  key and hit submit before checking the post, so it is actually an 'odd' question mark. 🤣

3 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

To be fair to the folk of this country it wasn't a majority who voted for the Tories 15 months ago. It's only the bizarre vagaries of the UK parliamentary system which affords a massive majority of seats to 43.6% of the vote.

So it was a majority after all!

Registered voters: 47,568,611

Turnout: 67.3%

Conservative votes: 13,966,494. Percentage 43.6%

Labour votes: 10,269,051.  Percentage 32.1%

I declare that the Conservatives won with a majority of votes and seats and as RollingJ said...it works both ways.

It's a bit like saying the majority didn't vote for brexit and yet here we are.

Edited by apelike

12 hours ago, apelike said:

So it was a majority after all!

Registered voters: 47,568,611

Turnout: 67.3%

Conservative votes: 13,966,494. Percentage 43.6%

Labour votes: 10,269,051.  Percentage 32.1%

The Tories won, we accept that. Registered voters = 47 million but there are around 5 million that do do register or are not eligible.

Boris is putting out stories about using the first past the vote systen in even more areas. The Electoral Commision says voter ID at polling station is a bad thing, it reduces the numbers that turn out to vote, more so poorer voters.

I would not not for Boris Johnson is he made me better off, he is bad for the country. Brexit has been done, lets hope that he resigns to spend more time with his family.

I am sure he will have made sure he has a few million when he leaves politics.

57 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Let's not forget the circumstances that led to Boris Johnson becoming Tory party leader and Prime Minister.  Where was the moral compass for all those MPs who blocked the implementation of Brexit and sought to have a democratic choice the British people made reversed and ignored?  The truth is if all MPs of all political parties including the Tories had a moral compass then Boris Johnson would never have become Tory party leader and Prime Minister.

Depends who he shot.

* - My bold and underline.

Your first paragraph is an example of 2 of the different types in their approach to politics. Which is made real by the Brexit debate.

Your second brings this to life in a real and frightening way. 

To set some parameters on the second.

Please give your opinion on the following as to whether they get shot or not. Serious Question.

Man with a gun attacking you.

Stalin

Kier Hardy

Jeremy Corbyn

Michael Foot

Tony Blair

Edward Heath

David Cameron

Maggie Thatcher

Winston Churchill

Enoch Powell

Donald Trump

6 minutes ago, Flanker7 said:

* - My bold and underline.

Your first paragraph is an example of 2 of the different types in their approach to politics. Which is made real by the Brexit debate.

Your second brings this to life in a real and frightening way. 

To set some parameters on the second.

Please give your opinion on the following as to whether they get shot or not. Serious Question.

Man with a gun attacking you.

Stalin

Kier Hardy

Jeremy Corbyn

Michael Foot

Tony Blair

Edward Heath

David Cameron

Maggie Thatcher

Winston Churchill

Enoch Powell

Donald Trump

He'd have a  job shooting some of those - unless he somehow brought them back to life first.

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

....The Electoral Commision says voter ID at polling station is a bad thing, it reduces the numbers that turn out to vote, more so poorer voters.....

But that was just media hype as what they did not state is what has explicitly been written into the government's plan that “any voter who does not have an approved form of ID [i.e. a passport, driving licence, etc.] will be able to apply, free of charge, for a local electoral identity document.”

Photo identity at polling stations is also a system that is used successfully in NI so it no biggie.

18 minutes ago, apelike said:

Photo identity at polling stations is also a system that is used successfully in NI so it no biggie.

Is there any point in having an Electoral Commision if Boris is just going to do what is in his best interests?

13 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Is there any point in having an Electoral Commision if Boris is just going to do what is in his best interests?

Considering the proposals and pilot tests for this has been going on since 2017 and before Boris was PM I doubt the above holds water. The Electoral Commission is also an independent body that wanted it reformed, has given guidance on the way forward and also helped with the pilot tests done so far in 2018 and 2019. It has also stated that it prefers the NI photo ID system. But of course the media will blame Boris and many others who read such media will too.

5 hours ago, apelike said:

Considering the proposals and pilot tests for this has been going on since 2017 and before Boris was PM I doubt the above holds water. The Electoral Commission is also an independent body that wanted it reformed, has given guidance on the way forward and also helped with the pilot tests done so far in 2018 and 2019. It has also stated that it prefers the NI photo ID system. But of course the media will blame Boris and many others who read such media will too.

Asking people to show two pieces of non-photo ID would not necessarily be more secure than showing their poll card. It would be more secure if one piece of ID had to be an official document like a birth certificate, but that would make it less accessible.

Evidence from around the world shows that forcing voters to bring photographic ID to the polling station just makes it harder for people to vote – while doing little to increase faith in the integrity of the system. We don’t need to spend millions to put up barriers to people taking part in our democracy.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/who-we-are-and-what-we-do/our-views-and-research/our-research/voter-identification-pilots/may-2019-voter-identification-pilot-schemes/our-findings

https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/campaigns/upgrading-our-democracy/voter-id/