The Conservative Party - Part Two.

10 hours ago, apelike said:

Without going too off topic and making this another coronavirus rant... Just because a few other countries governments in Europe have fared better than the conservatives here does not mean they were prepared.   

Yes the UK pandemic simulations found us lacking in certain aspects and that I agree with but those simulations were also based on a flu type pandemic situation which is entirely different to what we have got. We could have had more PPE in reserve and that would have helped marginally but that is date stamped with a use by date so stocking up is problematic. We could have had more spare NHS beds but again that is problematic. The main problem with the NHS at the start of this pandemic was the rapid increase in hospitalisations and a lack of ventilators which caused so many deaths and not the lack of PPE or nursing staff.  It's called a novel virus for a reason, it's a respiratory disease and not in the same league as flu so it was impossible to plan for, hence the problems with the EU also needing to source ventilators as well. I'm not excusing the conservatives in this just just pointing out the logistics and that's why I say most of the word was not prepared including Europe and the USA.

But it's easier to listen to the media, blame the conservatives and get fixated on what Cummings did or didn't do.

I don't want to make this Covid specific either. My beef is with the defence used by governments and their supporters of being marginally better or no worse than another lot. If that is the new standard we are judging politicians by, then I'm afraid I'm not on board, unless they're going to start campaigning in elections with "Vote for us, we won't be any worse than the other lot". 

11 hours ago, apelike said:

Maybe you could say what I am repeating as I have no idea. The media may be powerful but I don't base what I say or write solely on the media.

I am stating that I saw the same idea in the media recently, then you wrote it on here. We are all capable of doing that.

We should have been more prepared, we werent because they didnt want to spend the money, even though there has been close calls with bird flu and SARS.

We are not experts, but the Government have experts advising them.

2 hours ago, El Cid said:

I am stating that I saw the same idea in the media recently, then you wrote it on here.

We are all capable of doing that.

As stated what specific idea are you talking about as what I put in my post was not just read and then copied from the media but comes from my research on scientific websites. Where does the media get their data from... those very same sources. Unless the just make it up of course which is not unknown to happen.

We should have been more prepared, we werent because they didnt want to spend the money, even though there has been close calls with bird flu and SARS.

Yes the government could have been more prepared but they weren't, why is a different matter Those are the sort of detail that will be forthcoming when the government's inquiry takes place. They weren't close call either as neither materialised and money was wasted on them. It was the media that created the tension and attention to a report by a professor I think that millions would die.

We are not experts, but the Government have experts advising them.

Yes they do but it seems that when the governments do listen to those so called experts people are still not happy. Re bird flu for instance and spending money on being prepared.

5 hours ago, Delbow said:

I don't want to make this Covid specific either. My beef is with the defence used by governments and their supporters of being marginally better or no worse than another lot.

Unfortunately it's a defense that even local authorities of any colour use to justify their decisions so it's not just government specific. It's simple, if you don't like a political party in power then vote them out at the next election. That's why we have democracy, to allow us to do just that.

12 minutes ago, apelike said:

Unfortunately it's a defense that even local authorities of any colour use to justify their decisions so it's not just government specific. It's simple, if you don't like a political party in power then vote them out at the next election. That's why we have democracy, to allow us to do just that.

It would be great if we had a way of voting someone out.

Problem is, we are only allowed to vote politicians IN so nothing we can do when they are both rubbish except waste a vote.

The form of democracy we have doesn't really work all that well and both Labour & the Tories don't want to change our system because it favours them.

18 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

It would be great if we had a way of voting someone out.

Problem is, we are only allowed to vote politicians IN so nothing we can do when they are both rubbish except waste a vote.

The form of democracy we have doesn't really work all that well and both Labour & the Tories don't want to change our system because it favours them.

Unfortunately I have to agree. Personally I would prefer a full system of PR and so did the Lib/Dems till Clegg was somehow persuaded by Cameron to hold a referendum on AV. But we have what we have and need to deal with it for now. I doubt I will be here by the time anything changes so I don't, like some here, worry now about what it could be like I leave that to the upcoming young.

So the Government has settled with Sir Philip Ruttnam, an out of court settlement of £340,000 (+ legal costs) at a cost to the taxpayer so bully Patel can keep her job. Sir Alex Allan who was commissioned to conduct an independent inquiry by Johnson to find out if she did indeed bully. He found that she did. Johnson then, bravely and with complete integrity, ignored Sir Alex Allan who then felt he had to resign.

Taxpayers money well spent to save the skin of a cowardly bully who has TWICE broken the Ministerial Code?

Priti Patel reaches £340,000 settlement with ex-Home Office chief Philip Rutnam | Civil service | The Guardian

I wonder if the press will report on this with the same zeal as they have reported on Meghan Markle's apparent bullying? 

Edited by Mister M

Good to see that the PM is sticking to his guns and lying again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56281934

Looks like all his cronyism is being protected - the illegal contracts that were illegally issued by Hancock have still not been published, but Mr Boshambles just lies and lies and lies...

4 hours ago, Litotes said:

Good to see that the PM is sticking to his guns and lying again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56281934

Looks like all his cronyism is being protected - the illegal contracts that were illegally issued by Hancock have still not been published, but Mr Boshambles just lies and lies and lies...

Just to point out and be pedantic they weren't illegally issued.

4 minutes ago, apelike said:

Just to point out and be pedantic they weren't illegally issued.

Let's wait and see..

5 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

Let's wait and see..

We don't need to as they were ruled to have been awarded unlawfully.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

We don't need to as they were ruled to have been awarded unlawfully.

It will make no difference at the next election.  Boris and Co. will still win as they have offered the north exactly what they want.