The Conservative Party - Part Two.

On 27/01/2021 at 17:00, apelike said:

The whole world was not prepared for this, not just our Conservative government and that was the problem. 

rubbish. A number of Asian countries were prepared and have done well.

1 hour ago, nightrider said:

rubbish. A number of Asian countries were prepared and have done well.

OK so maybe not the whole world....  but the reasons they were prepared..... They were already geared up for dealing with it better because of their past histories in dealing with viral infections and epidemics, as most originate from Asia with Africa being second. The UK and European governments have fared far worse simply because they have no past history to go on so were left wanting. Same goes for the USA as well.

Edited by apelike

2 hours ago, apelike said:

OK so maybe not the whole world....  but the reasons they were prepared..... They were already geared up for dealing with it better because of their past histories in dealing with viral infections and epidemics, as most originate from Asia with Africa being second. The UK and European governments have fared far worse simply because they have no past history to go on so were left wanting. Same goes for the USA as well.

But the UK government were warned about an underprepared NHS and the possibilities of a predicted pandemic in a report three years ago and chose do nothing about it.

didnt we have a pandemic "audit" a few years ago, with emergency service  tests etc..........our government failed to act on the failures so yeah, we were unprepared

no past history yes. But we did have a pandemic report which told us many things to do and which the government ignored because of their fixation on Austerity. Well all that money saved is turning to be a great investment isn't it given the hundreds of billions in QE owe have apparently needed in the last year!

42 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

But the UK government were warned about an underprepared NHS and the possibilities of a predicted pandemic in a report three years ago and chose do nothing about it.

And when they got prepared and spent millions on antivirals that were never used for a bird flu pandemic that never materialised they got slated for wasting money!

42 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

Not sure about that one. I know about Exercise Cygnus in 2016 and the subsequent report and recommendations on that. 

38 minutes ago, melthebell said:

didnt we have a pandemic "audit" a few years ago, with emergency service  tests etc..........our government failed to act on the failures so yeah, we were unprepared

I agree on that.

But as already pointed out the whole of Europe and the USA were also not prepared either.  

Edited by apelike

Boris not bothering to turn up for the first five Emergency Covid meetings didn't help much either...

On 02/03/2021 at 17:58, apelike said:

But as already pointed out the whole of Europe and the USA were also not prepared either.  

I'm struggling to see how this is the point. It's not the point is it. Also, I don't think it's accurate to say that all of Europe wasn't prepared, some countries have done significantly better.

2 hours ago, Delbow said:

I'm struggling to see how this is the point. It's not the point is it. Also, I don't think it's accurate to say that all of Europe wasn't prepared, some countries have done significantly better.

Without going too off topic and making this another coronavirus rant... Just because a few other countries governments in Europe have fared better than the conservatives here does not mean they were prepared.   

Yes the UK pandemic simulations found us lacking in certain aspects and that I agree with but those simulations were also based on a flu type pandemic situation which is entirely different to what we have got. We could have had more PPE in reserve and that would have helped marginally but that is date stamped with a use by date so stocking up is problematic. We could have had more spare NHS beds but again that is problematic. The main problem with the NHS at the start of this pandemic was the rapid increase in hospitalisations and a lack of ventilators which caused so many deaths and not the lack of PPE or nursing staff.  It's called a novel virus for a reason, it's a respiratory disease and not in the same league as flu so it was impossible to plan for, hence the problems with the EU also needing to source ventilators as well. I'm not excusing the conservatives in this just just pointing out the logistics and that's why I say most of the word was not prepared including Europe and the USA.

But it's easier to listen to the media, blame the conservatives and get fixated on what Cummings did or didn't do.

Edited by apelike

22 minutes ago, apelike said:

Without going too off topic and making this another coronavirus rant... Just because a few other countries governments in Europe have fared better than the conservatives here does not mean they were prepared.   

Yes the UK pandemic simulations found us lacking in certain aspects and that I agree with but those simulations were also based on a flu type pandemic situation which is entirely different to what we have got.

But it's easier to listen to the media, blame the conservatives and get fixated on what Cummings did or didn't do.

Do you think they would know before hand what to base it on?

But you are just repeating what has been said in the media, the media are so powerfull.

We have done very poorly, the FTSE is below what it was 12 months ago, stock markets around the world are increasing and the LSE was overtaken by Amsterdams stock market.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/amsterdam-has-overtaken-london-as-europes-biggest-trading-centre/

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Do you think they would know before hand what to base it on?

No, that's why it could not have been planned for!

But you are just repeating what has been said in the media, the media are so powerfull.

Maybe you could say what I am repeating as I have no idea. The media may be powerful but I don't base what I say or write solely on the media. I'm very much BBC online orientated as far as the media is concerned and learn most of my stuff from non media orientated sources. I don't buy newspapers or read them online so I can parrot what they say and I don't watch TV.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

We have done very poorly, the FTSE is below what it was 12 months ago, stock markets around the world are increasing and the LSE was overtaken by Amsterdams stock market.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/amsterdam-has-overtaken-london-as-europes-biggest-trading-centre/

Me bolded.... Yes it is but that was before lockdown was announced. On 23rd March and after the announcement it closed at 4,993.89.  Exactly a year ago it closed 6,815.59 and today it was 6,613.75. So despite coronavirus it's not as bad as the media, or you make out. 

But just to lighten thing up.... as the normal disclaimers go, "Don't forget that the price of your share can go down as well as up."

According to a research paper by parliament published 01/02/2021

Quote:

"The data so far suggests that jobs and business has been lost to other financial centres as a result of the UK leaving the European single market, but the impact may not be as big as initially feared by some. It will take time before the full impact, as well as the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, is fully known."

Amsterdam may have overtaken London but we are still up there riding high.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn06193/#:~:text=In 2019%2C the financial services,proportion of national economic output.

Edited by apelike

6 hours ago, apelike said:

No, that's why it could not have been planned for!

Maybe you could say what I am repeating as I have no idea. The media may be powerful but I don't base what I say or write solely on the media. I'm very much BBC online orientated as far as the media is concerned and learn most of my stuff from non media orientated sources. I don't buy newspapers or read them online so I can parrot what they say and I don't watch TV.

Me bolded.... Yes it is but that was before lockdown was announced. On 23rd March and after the announcement it closed at 4,993.89.  Exactly a year ago it closed 6,815.59 and today it was 6,613.75. So despite coronavirus it's not as bad as the media, or you make out. 

But just to lighten thing up.... as the normal disclaimers go, "Don't forget that the price of your share can go down as well as up."

According to a research paper by parliament published 01/02/2021

Quote:

"The data so far suggests that jobs and business has been lost to other financial centres as a result of the UK leaving the European single market, but the impact may not be as big as initially feared by some. It will take time before the full impact, as well as the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, is fully known."

Amsterdam may have overtaken London but we are still up there riding high.

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn06193/#:~:text=In 2019%2C the financial services,proportion of national economic output.

But the BBC is little more than a propaganda machine, see here.....

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/w/bbc-chiefs-deny-propaganda-role-as-papers-reveal-links-to-intelligence-services

it states....

BBC bosses denied that the organisation was still involved in propaganda against governments in Latin America and the Middle East today after a report revealed its involvement in a secret anti-communist plot in the 1960s.

Declassified government papers in the National Archives have revealed that the state broadcaster colluded with British intelligence to control international media during the 1960s and 1970s.

In an elaborate scheme, the British government paid newswire service Reuters to set up a reporting service in the Middle East, funding it covertly via the BBC.

It was devised in 1969 by the Information Research Department (IRD), a secretive Foreign Office department set-up in 1948. It produced anti-communist material to fight a propaganda war with the Soviet Union.