The Conservative Party - Part Two.

2 hours ago, RJRB said:

It’s a fact that political change in a democracy is a slow process.

This lot are in for another 3 years or so and the best that some of us can hope for is that Johnson is ousted together with his low calibre ministers.

I think that they would make up a good cast for a sit com based on a third rate public school.

Boris the bumbling head,Raab the gym teacher, and Shapps,Williamson,Hancock Sunak As house masters .I will give some thought to the house names but suggestions welcome.

Priti Patel would of course be the matron,and Dominic Cummings the scheming janitor.

So unless we roll out the tumbrels that’s the way it is,unless you have some advice for us.

Sorry, but no.  No more. 4+ years of it, now I’m all out. And tired. And disinvested. 

Just watching the bin fire from afar, shaking my head every now and then (eg at Dan Hannan’s peerage today) and not even bothering with the popcorn these days.

Just more and more Tory politicians I wouldn’t p*** on if they were on fire. And that’s not good for my blood pressure, so I’m weaning myself from it all ever so gradually (- you may be glad to hear 😉).

But I am looking forward to take stock of the Conservatives’ eventual legacy in a few years’ time. Gibraltar is looking to be joining Schengen within days, and I’d call that a result, however unintentional it may be. I expect Scotland and NI to follow well within the decade.

Edited by L00b

As well as UNICEF providing food to hungry children in the poorest areas of London, another Non Governmental Organisation more associated with providing humanitarian aid in disaster areas and civil conflict zones around the world, has stepped in to feed the 3,000 + people stuck on the M20 at Dover.

Can't rely on the throbbers at the top of this rancid Government to organise anything, apart from lucrative PPE contracts for their mates, of course.

Edited by Mister M

42 minutes ago, Mister M said:

As well as UNICEF providing food to hungry children in the poorest areas of London, another Non Governmental Organisation more associated with providing humanitarian aid in disaster areas and civil conflict zones around the world, has stepped in to feed the 3,000 + people stuck on the M20 at Dover.

Can't rely on the throbbers at the top of this rancid Government to organise anything, apart from lucrative PPE contracts for their mates, of course.

Just where exactly do you expect the government to pull out 3000 meals?  Who exactly is expected to pay for that?  Who exactly do you feel is responsible and liable for the virus mutating? What part of the government's so-called incompetence do you feel is to blame for the France choosing to close their border with little warning.  

The borders were closed on Sunday  In one working day they have had to bring in contingencies to hold the vehicles stuck, arrange police and marshalling, source and deliver temporary sanitation facilities and get on with negotiating with the the French counterparts to aim to get the border reopened as soon as possible..... which based on the latest news tonight is now happening in certain circumstances.

So what if the Salutation Army has had to get in involved and offer some support.  Its no different to the lots of other organisations to have provided assistance during covid.   Just like the whole UNICEF argument, they are there to provide support in a crisis. This is an unprecedented crisis.

I've seen some of the interviews with the drivers and the nice hatchet job in the Guardian today.   I am not completely unsympathetic to their situation and frustrations but some of their comments were almost unbelievable. One of them demanding that there should have been toilets provided every so many yards, another complaining how it's disgraceful he's been unable to get any shower in the past 30 hours, one other demanding to know why there weren't people there handing out cups of tea for everybody...... honestly do some of these people think there's a magic wand that suddenly gets waived. 

What about long-distance drivers taking some responsibility for their own contingencies.  

Delays and setbacks in any kind of long-distance haulage or supposed to be Commonplace.  Even more so in the middle of a pandemic with the regular pattern of little notice rule changes,  and lockdown.

I'd like to see old captain hindsight or some of the media talking heads deal with the situation and better.  Any idiot can sit on the sidelines pointing fingers. Not so easy when you're the one actually having to make the decisions

Edited by ECCOnoob

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Just where exactly do you expect the government to pull out 3000 meals?  Who exactly is expected to pay for that?  Who exactly do you feel is responsible and liable for the virus mutating? What part of the government's so-called incompetence do you feel is to blame for the France choosing to close their border with little warning.  

The borders were closed on Sunday night.  It has been a day.  In that day they have had to bring in contingencies to hold the vehicles stuck, arrange police and marshalling, source and deliver temporary sanitation facilities and get on with negotiating with the the French counterparts to aim to get the border reopened as soon as possible..... which based on the latest news is now happening in certain circumstances.

So what if the Salutation Army has had to get in involved and offer some support.  Its no different to the lots of other organisations to have provided assistance during covid.   Just like the whole UNICEF argument, they are there to provide support in a crisis. This is an unprecedented crisis.

I've seen some of the interviews with the drivers and the nice hatchet job in the Guardian today.   I am not completely unsympathetic to their situation and frustrations but some of their comments were almost unbelievable. One of them demanding that there should have been toilets provided every so many yards, another complaining how it's disgraceful he's been unable to get any shower in the past 30 hours, one other demanding to know why there weren't people there handing out cups of tea for everybody...... honestly do some of these people think there's a magic wand that suddenly gets waived. 

What about long-distance drivers taking some responsibility for their own contingencies.  

Delays and setbacks in any kind of long-distance haulage or supposed to be Commonplace.  Even more so in the middle of a pandemic with the regular pattern of little notice rule changes,  and lockdown.

I'd like to see old captain hindsight or some of the media talking heads deal with the situation and better.  Any idiot can sit on the sidelines pointing fingers. Not so easy when you're the one actually having to make the decisions

What about HMG accepting some responsibility for the situation in the country instead of Patel's absurd claims that they have always been ahead of the curve?

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Gibraltar is looking to be joining Schengen within days, and I’d call that a result, however unintentional it may be. I expect Scotland and NI to follow well within the decade.

Gibraltar cant do so unilaterally as it first needs UK Government and parliamentary approval as it is not an independent state, and so far no recent statement by this government about it has been made. What has happened though is that Spain, unsurprisingly, is pushing for Gibraltar to join and has been doing that for ages. Scotland and NI cant decide to unilaterally do that either as again it needs Government and parliamentary approval to do so.

7 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

The borders were closed on Sunday  In one working day they have had to bring in contingencies to hold the vehicles stuck, arrange police and marshalling, source and deliver temporary sanitation facilities and get on with negotiating with the the French counterparts to aim to get the border reopened as soon as possible..... which based on the latest news tonight is now happening in certain circumstances.

Oh behave, there are things in place in conjunction with charities and councils in many cases, you just need a government to pull it all together. Not even that, just stop lying about the numbers. It's pathetic.

Many truckers have some contingencies but the M20 is lacking at the best of times (as is the M2 from experience). But what, exactly, is at Manston?

9 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Oh behave, there are things in place in conjunction with charities and councils in many cases, you just need a government to pull it all together. Not even that, just stop lying about the numbers. It's pathetic.

Many truckers have some contingencies but the M20 is lacking at the best of times (as is the M2 from experience). But what, exactly, is at Manston?

A long strip of Tarmac.

32 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Just where exactly do you expect the government to pull out 3000 meals?  Who exactly is expected to pay for that? 

Well, we all lose many billions of £ to tax evasion each year. Much of it tolerated by our political overlords.

Maybe we could ask Apple/Vodaphone/Google/EBAY to cough up for those meals. 

A gesture of goodwill, if you like.

Or a down payment on the money they owe all of us.

43 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Demanding toilets, cleaning facilities, cups of tea....Where will the madness end? Next they'll be asking for blankets to keep them warm!

27 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Demanding toilets, cleaning facilities, cups of tea....Where will the madness end? Next they'll be asking for blankets to keep them warm!

They won't need blankets, most cabs have night heaters.

None of them are en suite.

31 minutes ago, Mister M said:

The madness never started.

The drivers are all going home.

The lesson is taught. 

The U.K. government is about to fall into line.

45 minutes ago, Mister M said:

And places to fill up with diesel.