The Conservative Party - Part Two.

On 18/12/2020 at 19:47, steved32 said:

All will be fine.  Boris will ensure the interests of the "Briddish peepoo" and sovereignty will prevail.  Yeah...just like his "oven-ready" Brexit deal.

Clown.  He'll be super-rich when he charges thousands to speak at "dinners"...although his autobiography will be on the reduced pile in "The Works" within weeks of publication.

If's a competition to see who can be the biggest Tory "B" ever.

Thatcher took milk from kids.

Duncan Smith took benefits from disabled people

Boris has taken Christmas from millions.

On 19/12/2020 at 00:16, Pettytom said:

You should tell us more about that. 

The U.K. media is claiming that this is the first time ever that UNICEF has funded the feeding of hungry children in the U.K. 

Perhaps you could tell us about the other work that they’ve done here. Some decent sources would be nice too.

how about this?

https://www.unicef.org.uk/what-we-do/our-uk-work/

this may be the first time they have funded the feeding of hungry children but they do plenty more

and a linkwhich  caught my eye about the past

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/dec/20/naked-and-starving-letters-tell-how-english-paupers-fought-for-rights-200-years-ago

Much of London is awash with money, it shouldn't require UNICEF to feed children even in a year as exceptional as this one, this is a failure to redistribute wealth by anywhere near enough. 

5 hours ago, Delbow said:

Much of London is awash with money, it shouldn't require UNICEF to feed children even in a year as exceptional as this one, this is a failure to redistribute wealth by anywhere near enough. 

i'm not sure that much of London is awash with money, a few small parts are very awash with money, i'd guess the majority is probably not much different from up here but also on the faced with the additional load which the higher cost of living imposes on them,  

though you are quite correct, unicef shouldn't have to fund feeding children in the uk, anyone who has been in governement over the last 20-30 years should feel ashamed that they are having too. Given his professed faith, someone should be pointing Mr Rees-Mogg to Deuteronomy 15:11

For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’

https://www.openbible.info/topics/helping_others

19 hours ago, andyofborg said:

i'm not sure that much of London is awash with money, a few small parts are very awash with money, i'd guess the majority is probably not much different from up here 

A lot of it really is. Yes, it has your Peckhams and North Kensingtons, but so many low income people have been cleansed into the margins now. There are plenty of people in London who could figuratively find the £25k down the back of their £25k sofas.

We could just turn this woman upside down and see what falls out of her pockets, then we wouldn't need anything from UNICEF

Edited by Delbow

I don't know if anyone watched the Government's Coronavirus briefing today, but even by his own very poor standards, it was a shocking performance by Johnson.

He was late, again. He looked disheveled, like he'd slept in his suit for the last 2 days. He smirked most of the way through the ordeal, and let's not forget we're talking about a deadly disease that has killed tens of thousands of people in this country alone.

He didn't even bother to respond to journalist's questions in a meaningful manner that would be recognised as answers. 

Used his "alas" catchphrase a few times to pander to the Tory base 

At the end of it, he said "is that it" as if he had just been given a telling off by a teacher.

I was cringing for him. And I'm not even a Tory!

I'd love it if the BBC went back to those red wall areas to do more vox pops in places like Blythe or Mansfield  which they did to death before the last election.

Edited by Mister M

15 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I don't know if anyone watched the Government's Coronavirus briefing today, but even by his own very poor standards, it was a shocking performance by Johnson.

He was late, again. He looked disheveled, like he'd slept in his suit for the last 2 days. He smirked most of the way through the ordeal, and let's not forget we're talking about a deadly disease that has killed tens of thousands of people in this country alone.

He didn't even bother to respond to journalist's questions in a meaningful manner that would be recognised as answers. 

At the end of it, he said "is that it" as if he had just been given a telling off by a teacher.

I'd love it if the BBC went back to those red wall areas to do more vox pops in places like Blythe or Mansfield  which they did to death before the last election.

He was awful in every way, and as you point out, failed to answer any questions. Even journalists were trying to follow up questions from other journos and he just kept ignoring them. He's utterly useless.

I...I...I...I...um...well...like I said...I...I..I ...er...errr...let us not forget [wave fist about]...I...I...I...ahhhhh...over to Professor Whitty

42 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Hate burst the bubble.

Already posted something similar yesterday on the Labour Party thread so here's a bit of re-edit. 

I'd recommend reading the excellent book, 'Beyond The Red Wall: Why Labour Post, How The Conservatives Won And What Will Happen Next?' by Deborah Mattinson.

The author interviewed many previous, long-standing Labour across Labour's Northern heartlands as to why they voted Conservative at the last election, turning their backs on Labour & it wasn't just because of Corbyn.  

I saw Mattinson, once dubbed, 'Gordon Brown' s favourite pollster', being interviewed on Sky last week, regarding Brexit issues but she was asked about other areas of politics, including Starmer & how people in these Northern constituencies view how Labour / the Conservative, Starmer & Johnson are viewed at present in regards to the COVID pandemic? 

Ms Mattinson is still doing her polling work in those Northern heartlands & according to her, 'Labour is seen less as a Party of pints & pies, more of a Party of quinoa', under Starmer.

Johnson is seen as a capable leader with regards to the pandemic, especially as he also other such issues on his plate such as Brexit.  The vast majority of Northern voters in those once Labour constituencies, just see that it's unfortunate that he has the pandemic to additionally deal with.  Many apparently have a great deal of sympathy for his current plight.  So very few have actually changed their minds about his abilities.  Maybe the Northern voters are not as cynical as the London based media, always out for a 'Gotcha' headline? 

Starmer on the other hand, is seen as ineffective, even in his criticism of Jonhson's handling of the pandemic.  Starmer is also viewed in lacking any credible alternative responses as to how he would have responded to the pandemic, other than his  constant criticism, which is an apparent turn off, even for those once Labour voters.   People appear to be turned off by those who just constantly criticise.

As Ms Mattison also said in the interview, "The (Labour) Party, remains London-centric to Northerners, with many unable to relate to him, (Starmer), yet many are still willingly supporting a man who's middle name is 'de Pfeffel."

42 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Edited by Baron99
Amended as same response posted twice

7 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Hate burst the bubble.

Already posted something similar yesterday on the Labour Party thread so here's a bit of re-edit. 

I'd recommend reading the excellent book, 'Beyond The Red Wall: Why Labour Post, How The Conservatives Won And What Will Happen Next?' by Deborah Mattinson.

The author interviewed many previous, long-standing Labour across Labour's Northern heartlands as to why they voted Conservative at the last election, turning their backs on Labour & it wasn't just because of Corbyn.  

I saw Mattinson, once dubbed, 'Gordon Brown' s favourite pollster', being interviewed on Sky last week, regarding Brexit issues but she was asked about other areas of politics, including Starmer & how people in these Northern constituencies view how Labour / the Conservative, Starmer & Johnson are viewed at present in regards to the COVID pandemic? 

Ms Mattinson is still doing her polling work in those Northern heartlands & according to her, 'Labour is seen less as a Party of pints & pies, more of a Party of quinoa', under Starmer.

Johnson is seen as a capable leader with regards to the pandemic, especially as he also other such issues on his plate such as Brexit.  The vast majority of Northern voters in those once Labour constituencies, just see that it's unfortunate that he has the pandemic to additionally deal with.  Many apparently have a great deal of sympathy for his current plight.  So very few have actually changed their minds about his abilities.  Maybe the Northern voters are not as cynical as the London based media, always out for a 'Gotcha' headline? 

Starmer on the other hand, is seen as ineffective, even in his criticism of Jonhson's handling of the pandemic.  Starmer is also viewed in lacking any credible alternative responses as to how he would have responded to the pandemic, other than his  constant criticism, which is an apparent turn off, even for those once Labour voters.   People appear to be turned off by those who just constantly criticise.

As Ms Mattison also said in the interview, "The (Labour) Party, remains London-centric to Northerners, with many unable to relate to him, (Starmer), yet many are still willingly supporting a man who's middle name is 'de Pfeffel."

Sounds like those red wall voters and Johnson and his Government deserve each other.

8 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Sounds like those red wall voters and Johnson and his Government deserve each other.

Only reporting the truth from a respected pollster who continues to carry out her work.  And a Labour supporter herself to boot, apparently. 

Aren't facts fantastic?

Edited by Baron99

12 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Only reporting the truth from a respected pollster who continues to carry out her work.  And a Labour supporter herself to boot, apparently. 

Aren't facts fantastic?

Just trying to verify a couple more facts. Apparently, at the time when Boris said there was 170 trucks sat on the M20 outside Dover, there was actually 945.