The Conservative Party - Part Two.

1 hour ago, Magilla said:

"Taken together, about half of that $22 billion went to companies with political connections, no prior experience or histories of controversy."

If the response to COVID had gone well, it would be excuseable.

20 hours ago, apelike said:

I think you need to understand how it all works as UNICEF didn't give the UK aid. What UNICEF do is give out community based grants from £5,000 to £25,000 which are applied for by the charities concerned. As with most grants (including what the EU give) the charity/organisation applies for them first and in this case they gave a grant of £25,000 to a charity in London. They also do the same in many other countries including many EU ones as well.

https://www.unicef.org.uk/what-we-do/our-uk-work/

A quote from the above:

"Food Power for Generation Covid is focused on providing small scale grants (£5,000 – £25,000) to community based food banks, food pantries and other similar organisations to ensure children and families have access to the food they need during the crisis period.

Since the summer we have awarded funding to 30 organisations across England, Scotland and Wales, which will reach up to 15,000 vulnerable children until the end of February 2021."

Good job somebody is making sure the kids get fed because the Tories sure aren't.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/dec/17/free-school-meals-scheme-one-uk-poorest-areas-faces-axe-newham-london

"A pioneering scheme providing free school meals to all primary school pupils in one of the UK’s poorest boroughs faces the axe as a result of funding cuts, leaving thousands of deprived youngsters at risk of missing out on a nutritious dinner."

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

Surely it saves the Government some money, what is wrong in that?

In other news, Priti Patel accuses senior Tory MP of breaking Covid rules at dinner attended by Tobias Ellwood.

I thought those two were both in the same party!

Not paying Cummings could have saved some money, not protecting the bully Patel could have saved the  Government some money, not delaying covid response could have save the Government some money (and the country some lives) - what is wrong in that? LOADS. I can't believe that people are being so selfish.

I stand by my previous comment that:

Has the world gone mad that anybody thinks there is a rational explanation of the UK requiring UNICEF aid?

It would appear so from some of the comments in here. On the plus side, if mental gymnastics ever became an olympic sport we'd be a shoe in looking at the apologists on here.

10 hours ago, Litotes said:

Not paying Cummings could have saved some money, not protecting the bully Patel could have saved the  Government some money, not delaying covid response could have save the Government some money (and the country some lives) - what is wrong in that? LOADS. I can't believe that people are being so selfish.

Don't forget the 'extravagant'houses of parliament bar and resteraunt

2 hours ago, melthebell said:

Don't forget the 'extravagant'houses of parliament bar and resteraunt

How could we forget?

Stephen Unwin on Twitter: "The House of Commons' subsidised dining room menu.…  "

Not including generous  allowances to cover the costs of running an office and employing staff, and maintaining a constituency residence or a residence in London, MPs salary is C£82,000.  Jacob Rees Mogg's basic salary is about £120,000.

The sauce of Mogg complaining about UNICEF donating a relatively paltry sum of money towards food banks feeding hungry children is just astonishing. 

If this was 1789 France, Mogg would be first to be led to the guillotine.

14 hours ago, whiteowl said:

I stand by my previous comment that:

Has the world gone mad that anybody thinks there is a rational explanation of the UK requiring UNICEF aid?

It would appear so from some of the comments in here. On the plus side, if mental gymnastics ever became an olympic sport we'd be a shoe in looking at the apologists on here.

UNICEF has been funding different schemes in the UK since at least 1994.

1 hour ago, the_bloke said:

That I didn't know. What have they done?

3 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

That I didn't know. What have they done?

did a quick google and while i cant find a quick and easy way to view these "schemes" theyve been doing since 1994 i did find the following about them in the UK

https://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/uk_5862.html

and all the news links state its the FIRST TIME in the organisations More than 70 year HISTORY, theyve stepped in to feed the poorest / hungriest children in the UK

https://news.un.org/en/story/2020/12/1080282

so whatever excuses the working class "tories" above spin, charity is now helping the poorest in THIS once great country while their masters that they voted for throw billions hand over fist over to their rich mates to make them even richer

Edited by melthebell

All will be fine.  Boris will ensure the interests of the "Briddish peepoo" and sovereignty will prevail.  Yeah...just like his "oven-ready" Brexit deal.

Clown.  He'll be super-rich when he charges thousands to speak at "dinners"...although his autobiography will be on the reduced pile in "The Works" within weeks of publication.

'''' wrong post ""

Edited by Dromedary

10 hours ago, the_bloke said:

You should tell us more about that. 

The U.K. media is claiming that this is the first time ever that UNICEF has funded the feeding of hungry children in the U.K. 

Perhaps you could tell us about the other work that they’ve done here. Some decent sources would be nice too.