The Conservative Party - Part Two.

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

In 2019, the UK had more foodbanks (>2000 ext.) than McDonald and Burger King (1249 + 500) restaurants.

In 2019, the UK turned down £22m of EU aid offered to help funding food banks.

At end 2019, the British electorate returned Tories to governance for the 4th time running since 2010, with a stonking 80 seat majority and Boris Johnson at the top.

That is all.

If Government Minister's families relied on food banks, I'm sure they wouldn't have been so quick to turn their noses up to the EU's offer of help.

Edited by Mister M

8 minutes ago, L00b said:

In 2019, the UK had more foodbanks (1200 official by Trussell Trust, est.2/3rds of UK FBs = 1800 est.) than McDonald and Burger King (1249 + 500) restaurants.

In 2019, the UK turned down £22m of EU aid offered to help funding food banks.

At end 2019, the British electorate returned Tories to governance for the 4th time running since 2010, with a stonking 80 seat majority and Boris Johnson at the top.

That is all.

When I was growing up in the 70’s and early 80’s I often heard this country being referred to as the “Sick man of Europe”. I think we are now the deranged man of Europe.

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

How many times have they had to provide aid to the U.K. in the past?

Food has been offered before and been turned down (in 2014 I think during Austerity drive.) I remember reading about it. Maybe other times too.

And the Russians sent food parcels to the starving miners during the 1983- 84 Miner's strike.

Of course it's embarrassing for the Conservative governments so you don't get to hear about it much

Edited by Anna B

19 minutes ago, West 77 said:

I don't know the answer to your question.  All I know is that last year the UK was the second highest contributor giving $494 million to UNICEF's budget. Only the USA contributed more to the UNICEF budget than the UK did with last year. 

UNICEF isn't a bank account where we throw in a few quid and get it when we need it. We are the 6th largest economy in the world and we need charity. 

Worth pointing out that £1.3bn has been dished to Tory doners and friends in the form of PPE contracts, with no tenders or parliamentary oversight.

5 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Get a grip. UNICEF donated  just £25,000 to one London borough and received the second highest donation of  $494 from the 5th largest economy in the World last year.  The question you should be asking is why aren't China, Germany and Japan who have larger economies than the UK contributing more to the UNICEF budget than us.

No, I really don't. It doesn't matter if it's £25 to one borough. We shouldn't be in a position to need it. 

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

I don't know the answer to your question.  

I do.

The answer is zero. 

For the first time ever, parts of our country are so broken that UNICEF are giving us aid.

Ten years of mean spirited, Tory austerity coming home to roost. 

What a disgrace.

Why is it such a disgrace to you??

We've been paying into the thing for decades and we have faced, like the rest of the world, unprecedented demands on our country's resources due to a global pandemic.

The amount of aid provided by the organisation is negligible compared to the millions paid in by our taxes each year.     It might not make the headlines as much as a poor starving african children but UNICEF have always worked in a multitude of countries across the world including many so called westernised,  civilised, moneyed ones - so why the hell shouldn't we occasionally have access to it when we ourselves need support.

They are there to provide aid in a crisis. This is a crisis.

Austerity is nothing to do with it. Somebody has to make the difficult decisions and balance the books and nobody anticipated such a devastating global pandemic to come along putting everybody in lockdown and potentially damaging certain sectors of the economy for decades.

Talk about making a drama out of nothing. Any excuse for a bit of tory bashing.

5 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

We've been paying into the thing for decades and we have faced, like the rest of the world, unprecedented demands on our country's resources due to a global pandemic.

The amount of aid provided by the organisation is negligible compared to the millions paid in by our taxes each year.     It might not make the headlines as much as a poor starving african children but UNICEF have always worked in a multitude of countries across the world including many so called westernised,  civilised, moneyed ones - so why the hell shouldn't we occasionally have access to it when we ourselves need support.

Austerity is nothing to do with it. Somebody has to make the difficult decisions and balance the books and nobody anticipated such a devastating global pandemic to come along putting everybody in lockdown and potentially damaging certain sectors of the economy for decades.

Of course austerity has something to do with it!

28 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Has the world gone mad that people think this is a rational explanation of the UK requiring UNICEF aid?

We are one of the richest countries in the world and are relying on charity?

I suppose you think spunking 12 billion up the wall on a failing track and trace system, amongst all the other wasted money in the last year, is money well spent and that the end result of us needing charity is justified or something?

The mind boggles.

43 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

It’s not Tory bashing at all. UNICEF isn’t a bank that you pay into and make withdrawals from. It’s a charity that supports children in extreme circumstances. The U.K. is the fifth richest nation on Earth, we shouldn’t have children in extreme circumstances. That is a disgraceful failure of government.

I guess I could bash Labour about it, or the BBC, or Manchester United. But none of those have been in charge of the country for the last ten years, so I’ll aim my disgust at the Tories instead.

If we weren’t doing this:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/nov/29/covid-pandemic-tory-chumocracy-cronyism-spin

Maybe we could ensure our children were well fed and safe. That’s not too much to ask from a mature democracy.

Well done for not quoting me in your reply, by the way. We’re you trying to avoid me replying to you? 

Edited by Pettytom

37 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Sorry, but Austerity has everything to do with it. I remember watching a Panorama programme years ago that named areas in the North as amongst the poorest areas in Europe. Thatcher was into 'savings' in the economy years ago and it has never stopped. I've been pointing it out for years.

You can't deplete funding year after year and it not have any effect amongst the already hardest pressed. The NHS was ill prepared for a pandemic in spite of repeated warnings from the WHO due to lack of funds,  and you only have to look at the crisis in home care and the elderly, which has not been dealt with for 10 years to see it is now at a dangerous life threatening level, and that's before adding in covid.

The poorest and most vulnerable were deliberately villified and labled as 'scroungers' etc in an attempt to justify cutting benefits, and by the time Austerity kicked in they quite simply had no resources left.  It's no wonder the suicide rate and death from poverty issues are rising exponentially. 

We might be the 5th/6th richest country in the world, but that wealth is all concentrated at the top end and no longer 'trickles down, so  we have a massive discrepency between the richest and the poorest. Why are people prepared to believe it of countries like India and Africa, but not of Britain?

Yeah yeah blah blah heard it all before..... still nothing to do coronavirus which is everything  to do with the purpose of the UNICEF aid.  

For goodness sakes even UNICEF themselves have specifically stated that the cause of the hardship and the need for this aid has arisen as a result of the coronavirus pandemic. Not Tory politics, not austerity, not the super rich, not Thatcher, not the bankers, not capitalism - coronavirus.

Like I said. The usual suspects, the usual mouthpiece opposition MPs, the usual left wing newspaper rags all using this story to jump on the bandwagon and trying to do a bit of Tory bashing.

These are absolutely unprecedented times with huge demands on our resources and public money is. It's an extremely difficult balancing act with most sensible people realising something has to give.

The organisation is there to provide aid in a crisis to those who need it. In this global crisis it is clear that in some aspects we do. I certainly have no shame in our country taking back a tiny drop of what they have contributed to for decades.

Edited by ECCOnoob