The Conservative Party - Part Two.

1 hour ago, enntee said:

What pay rise?

This one in April

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/mp-pay-rise-parliament-average-basic-salary-boris-johnson-government-a9377776.html

Annual increase of 3.1 per cent is in line with public sector average but well above the CPI inflation rate of 1.8 per cent

and this is proposed for next April

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/09/mps-to-get-3300-pay-rise-as-coronavirus-puts-millions-of-jobs-at-risk-13395702/

The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) proposed their wages should continue to be linked to the public sector three-month annual growth figure of 4.1%, which is likely to exceed inflation. This means MPs, some of whom are working from home, will get an additional £3,360 on top of their salary of £81,932

Edited by Joe-b-1

11 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Lovely to see that the Chumocracy is alive and kicking:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/26/matt-hancock-former-neighbour-won-covid-test-kit-contract-after-whatsapp-message?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

When this is over the public inquiry is going to be spectacular.

3096.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=9c55fd614ea457ad5e4ee7ebf8e000c7

17 hours ago, whiteowl said:

It was actually a Lib Dem policy in the coalition that was instrumental in the big increases to personal allowances, a £10,000 starting point for income tax was the Lib Dems flagship policy at the 2010 election. The tories have always tried to claim credit for it though, even when Cameron was arguing against it 🙄

A fairer comparison is perhaps :

Last 5 years of Labour - increase of 32%

5 years of coalition - increase of 54%

5 years of Tory - increase of 25%

In respect to tax allowances I'd suggest it's the Lib Dems that support the lower paid workers more.

Historical list of personal allowances :

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/882237/Table-a1.pdf

Fair point well made, however it was still a Tory led government within the coalition. You can’t use 5 years of labour to meet the point though, they had 13 years

You could put it another way 

13 years of Labour - £2,430 uplift (£186/yr)

Last 5 years of Labour - £1580 uplift (£316/yr)

5 years Conservative led coalition - £4,125 uplift (£825/yr)

5 years Conservative govt - £1900 (£475/yr)

Thats the better way in terms of real cash in the pocket.

Dont forget as well that if you worked for the full labour govt but you were married then the actual overall increase in tax allowance was £460 over 13 years (or £35/year) due to Labour removing the married persons allowance of £1970 in 1999-2000.

Labour - the party of the working class married people!

Edited by sheffbag

I notice Gove has crawled out from under his stone after being silent post-Cummings.  What a reprehensible creature.  Education wrecking ball and architect of Brexit untruths.

14 minutes ago, steved32 said:

I notice Gove has crawled out from under his stone after being silent post-Cummings.  What a reprehensible creature.  Education wrecking ball and architect of Brexit untruths.

He really is a Chameleon.  :suspect:

26 minutes ago, steved32 said:

Despite how unpalatable he is, I find Gove to be useful. He's a good barometer of what's going to happen - if he says something is or isn't going to happen then it's pretty much nailed on that the opposite will happen.

For example, a few days before the rules that masks had to be worn in shops came out, he was on telly saying that it wouldn't happen.

It's about his only use though 😂

On 28/11/2020 at 13:12, whiteowl said:

Despite how unpalatable he is, I find Gove to be useful. He's a good barometer of what's going to happen - if he says something is or isn't going to happen then it's pretty much nailed on that the opposite will happen.

For example, a few days before the rules that masks had to be worn in shops came out, he was on telly saying that it wouldn't happen.

It's about his only use though 😂

Speaking of which....

Piers Morgan - The UK has the worst death toll compared to any other comparable country... do you accept it's been an abject failure?

Michael Gove -  No

PM - The UK death toll is heading over 70,000... that's more than the entire number of civilians who died in the UK during WW2

Can Michael Gove Finally Confirm if a Scotch Egg Is a Substantial Meal? | Good Morning Britain - YouTube

From 6.41 onwards

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

Speaking of which....

Piers Morgan - The UK has the worst death toll compared to any other comparable country... do you accept it's been an abject failure?

Michael Gove -  No

PM - The UK death toll is heading over 70,000... that's more than the entire number of civilians who died in the UK during WW2

Can Michael Gove Finally Confirm if a Scotch Egg Is a Substantial Meal? | Good Morning Britain - YouTube

From 6.41 onwards

I don't know if you or others remember, but when it was clear that Covid was on its way, Johnson and Hancock said that if the deaths were kept to 20,000 we (i.e. they) would have "done well". Now we're at 70,000+, were you to ask them how they've done, they would of course say they've "done well". Because they decided long ago to never, ever take any personal responsibility for anything that goes badly. Personal responsibility is for the Little People.

2 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I don't know if you or others remember, but when it was clear that Covid was on its way, Johnson and Hancock said that if the deaths were kept to 20,000 we (i.e. they) would have "done well". Now we're at 70,000+, were you to ask them how they've done, they would of course say they've "done well". Because they decided long ago to never, ever take any personal responsibility for anything that goes badly. Personal responsibility is for the Little People.

I think it was Patrick Vallance who said that, to be fair.  But otherwise I agree about taking responsibility.

Edited by Arnold_Lane

Thanks for clarifying, I hadn't meant to spread fake news

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

It is ironic because the Conservative Party have always claimed that they are the party of personal responsibility, and when they c0ck up, they try to shift the blame to others.

Edited by Mister M

David Dimbleby says that present government is the worst since he was born

Krishnan Guru-Murthy - How would you rate the current government?

David Dimbleby - "Very, very low... the lowest... the lowest since I was born in 1938... it's not a government one would be proud of..."

#C4News - Twitter Search / Twitter

I'm surprised as David Dimbleby always seemed a bit of a Tory , whereas his younger brother Jonathan was a bit more to the left....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 22/11/2020 at 18:05, Pettytom said:

Do you mean this time she was investigated, or last time?

Because in both cases she was found to have breached the ministerial code. That’s automatic resignation/ sacking territory for any  government, willing to uphold standards in public life. 

Theresa May had the moral fibre to sack Patel. Johnson didn’t. 

Not so long ago, you were happy to accept the findings of the EHRC report, in order to have a go at Jeremy Corbyn. You don’t seem  as keen to accept the findings of Sir Alex Allen. Does it not suit your political outlook?

Johnson has behaved as disgracefully as Patel. Sadly, we are stuck with both of them

for now. We deserve better.

Amber Rudd also agrees:

Former Home Secretary Amber Rudd says she ‘wasn’t surprised’ by Priti Patel bullying allegations

Sir Philip Rutnam’s tribunal for constructive dismissal from the Home Office next year could make things ‘more difficult’ for the Home Secretary
Amber Rudd has said she ‘wasn’t surprised’ by the Priti Patel bullying allegations, and suggested that her position as Home Secretary could be under threat if more information comes out during former Home Office permanent secretary Sir Philip Rutnam’s tribunal for constructive dismissal next year.

Ahead of the tribunal, set to be held next September, Ms Rudd said: “I do know more information will come out. If that produces really damaging stuff, that will make things more difficult for her.”

In an interview with The Sunday Times, Theresa May’s former Home Secretary said: “I’m not surprised Priti has done this because she already had a reputation.
“People who know Priti and her reputation in three different departments will know that she does shout and swear at people.”

She continued: “It’s not totally unusual that someone is entirely charming and thoughtful to their contemporaries and has a bad temper towards people who work for them.”

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/home-secretary-amber-rudd-priti-patel-bullying-allegations-785135?ito=twitter_share_article-top

Edited by Mister M