The Conservative Party - Part Two.

5 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Wow.  

There is nothing set in stone that a cabinet minister has to resign or be sacked for breaching the ministerial code. Priti Patel will receive a written warning and has already made an apology.

All you really need to know is that as the sole arbiter of the rules, the prime minister decides if there has been a breach of the ministerial code. The prime minister has decided that Priti Patel hasn't breached the ministerial code.

Fair enough

It’s very telling that there are quite a few of our Tory contributors who seem to be totally at ease with workplace bullying. I’d like to say I was surprised, but I’m not.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

I've only stated what happens in the real World.  What difference does it make whether I employ people or not. 

I'm not saying it's right only that it happens. 

In this post you're conflating 'acting tough' with bullying, the two are not the same. You trivialise bullying by belittling the victims calling them 'wimps' who don't like being demeaned by a 'little woman'. Wow.

On 20/11/2020 at 10:28, West 77 said:

It's a sad reflection of the snowflake society we live him that grown men in important highly paid jobs are complaining a little woman has bullied them. The position of Home Secretary is a role for someone that acts tough. We need more  strong leaders in the cabinet like Pritti Patel and less wimps working in Government departments. 

Someone who posted that isn't condemning bullying behaviour either.

And of course that's your right to do so, but I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that kind of behaviour. Would you?

Edited by Mister M

2 hours ago, West 77 said:

I've only stated what happens in the real World.  What difference does it make whether I employ people or not. 

I'm not saying it's right only that it happens. 

Yes I agree.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Boris Johnson's proposed 'Space Command' centre in outer space, so far costed at £16 and a half Billion. 

I thought we were already in debt for getting on for £2.5 Trillion, a figure so worrying, that we must anticipate a severe wage freeze and are about to enter a major tax grab regime to redeem some of it?

If he's got spare cash to splash or needs a project, what about the 'levelling up' for the North that he promised after the election, with something like cross rail, linking up Hull with Liverpool? Or maybe he could try some investment in our shabby forgotten Northern towns and cities of his 'red wall'? Or he could even try sorting out the care for the elderly chaos which has been held in abeyance for the best part of 10 years?

Does he just doodle these ideas in the back of fag packets and then anounce them, or is it to divert attention away from something else, do you think?

Boris loves a daft project, the England-Ireland tunnel was another one.

It went under the radar on the news a bit this week due to everything else that’s going off, but the Chancellors announcement that they are re-writing the investment rules for the Treasury is the biggest thing they can change in the long-term to give more investment to the regions.

At the moment the rules state they need to put investment where it generates the best return for the taxpayer, usually the South East.

Now they can target spending to where it’s needed.

TBF this was a Labour manifesto pledge at the last election, a regional investment bank would be another good policy for the Tories to take from that.

4 hours ago, Anna B said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Boris Johnson's proposed 'Space Command' centre in outer space, so far costed at £16 and a half Billion. 

(...)

Does he just doodle these ideas in the back of fag packets and then anounce them, or is it to divert attention away from something else, do you think?

Both of course.

The recent annoucement in big bold letters that the UK was going to spend on Defence like it hasn't in decades, and 'Make the Navy Great Again' had a tiny, blink-and-you'll-miss-it factoid attached to it in font size 1: the Army is being downsized (80k to 72k), with battalions getting merged and tanks getting mothballed.

Like just about every spending commitment announced by Johnson government over the past year, it's not new spending, either.

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

I thought we were already in debt for getting on for £2.5 Trillion, a figure so worrying, that we must anticipate a severe wage freeze and are about to enter a major tax grab regime to redeem some of it?

If he's got spare cash to splash or needs a project, what about the 'levelling up' for the North that he promised after the election, with something like cross rail, linking up Hull with Liverpool? Or maybe he could try some investment in our shabby forgotten Northern towns and cities of his 'red wall'? Or he could even try sorting out the care for the elderly chaos which has been held in abeyance for the best part of 10 years?

Boris is already on a different Planet. :roll:

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

In "outer space"?

I know Scotland is far away but as far as I'm aware, its North, not up.

https://www.holyrood.com/news/view,boris-johnson-to-announce-space-command-in-scotland

Its quite sad that we have to blow all this money on it though when we had a pretty good deal with being part of the ESA.

On 23/11/2020 at 03:25, Anna B said:

it's going to be built on saddlworth moor because it's in the north and also being quite high it's closer to space than most places so rockets won't be as expensive to launch. 

i'm not entirely sure what's planned but in principle it's not that bad an idea, the uk space sector is quite a large one and provides loads of high tech jobs something we need badly. If this enhances the industry then it's a good things and will help fund all sorts of good things. 

of course, it all depends on the implementation but we can hope.... 

2 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

it's going to be built on saddlworth moor because it's in the north and also being quite high it's closer to space than most places so rockets won't be as expensive to launch. 

i'm not entirely sure what's planned but in principle it's not that bad an idea, the uk space sector is quite a large one and provides loads of high tech jobs something we need badly. If this enhances the industry then it's a good things and will help fund all sorts of good things. 

of course, it all depends on the implementation but we can hope.... 

IF it happens.... but it's a big if.    Boris is very good at announcing things with great fanfare that never go any further. 

And as long as it isn't to the detriment of other Northern projects that we desperately need. But I suspect it will all probably go the way of 'the Northern Powerhouse.'

The Conservatives are true to what they always do, they have broken their election promise and they are reducing foreign  aid, from 0.7% to 0.5%

Going against their principles, they are bringing in another public sector pay freeze, I thought Conservatives were a party of freedom.

Surely with local authorities being so broke, pay rises would be kept low and comparable to the private sector.

26 minutes ago, West 77 said:

These are unprecedented times. When the Conservatives made their 2019 General Election manifesto they had no idea there was a Global pandemic just around the corner which would require record borrowing from the UK Government to fight. 

That's like saying Labour didn't know the 2008 economic crash was on the way.

The WHO had been warning of a major pandemic for at least 3 years, even providing lists of the PPE and equipment that would be needed. 

We subsequently spent more on panic buying, dishing out contracts to pals which weren't up to standard, and generally cocking it up, and we still had the highest death rate in Europe.

There will be an expensive public enquiry to follow, and that will probably be a whitewash as well.