The Conservative Party - Part Two.

2 minutes ago, West 77 said:

He's been appointed to advise the British government on trade and I support his appointment. I also wouldn't have a problem if he also advised the British government on immigration and how to deal with the migrant problem.

Why do you support his appointment? Can you point to some trade deals he has negotiated?

Maybe the appointment was made just to wind up the keyboard warriors and hand wringers. It's not as if he's being paid for the job.

33 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Why do you support his appointment? Can you point to some trade deals he has negotiated?

China, Japan and South Korea apparently.

13 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

Thank you!

I was really hoping he'd done something vaguely connected with the job in hand rather than just being a mate of somebody in Tory high command.

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Thank you!

I was really hoping he'd done something vaguely connected with the job in hand rather than just being a mate of somebody in Tory high command.

Considering that another appointment is Patricia Hewitt who has been accused of sexual discrimination, cash for questions and general bungling in the past, Tony Abbott is in good company.

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

I support his appointment because he was a Prime Minister of country that has conducted their own trade negotiations unlike the UK which have been in the EU for nearly 50 years.  The government employ the services of a number of trade advisers  and have obviously added Tony Abbott to the team because they value his input. I'm not an expert in Australia trade deals or need to be one to support his appointment because I trust the judgement of the Conservative government. 

If you read the article I linked you to,  you might see how little he had to do with any trade negotiations.

He’s really not there for his expertise in negotiating trade deals. He’s yet another piece of Cummings misdirection.

1 hour ago, the_bloke said:

Maybe the appointment was made just to wind up the keyboard warriors and hand wringers. It's not as if he's being paid for the job.

See above. Mostly done and dusted before he took power.

46 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

Considering that another appointment is Patricia Hewitt who has been accused of sexual discrimination, cash for questions and general bungling in the past, Tony Abbott is in good company.

It seems that the weirdos and misfits get everywhere these days.

Just now, West 77 said:

The role of trade advisor will include advising the British government on good people to appoint to do trade negotiations. He will have knowledge of the people who were involved in the Australian negotiations and the tactics used. If Boris had appointed Dame Edna Everage and Rowlf Harris to advice the government on trade deals then I would agree with you about misdirection and that they had little to do with any trade negotiations. The appointment of Tony Abbott is a no brainer but the anti Tory brigade will still look to find criticism because they just can't help themselves.

So, he’s an overpaid recruitment consultant then?

You do talk some nonsense 

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

He's an unpaid trade advisor and former Prime Minister of Australia who are very experienced in arranging and negotiating their own trade deals.

I'm not the one talking nonsense.

You want to hear my (Australian) son on the subject of Tony Abbott.....

Not exactly a fan.

36 minutes ago, West 77 said:

That's the nature of politics.  All current World leaders and former World leaders have their detractors.  Tony Abbott hasn't been appointed because he is popular but because Australia have negotiated numerous free trade agreement during the last few decades and his knowledge could be useful to the UK for when we are negotiating our own trade deals.

https://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/agreements/Pages/trade-agreements

What knowledge? As Australian PM he didn't do any of the negotiating. Even the deals that came to fruition whilst he was PM were staffed and largely negotiated before he became PM. Before becoming PM his background had not been trade related - he was never a trade minister, only holding domestic portfolios, and even during his 2 years as PM he focussed on domestic issues. He simply doesn't have relevant knowledge or experience.

36 minutes ago, altus said:

What knowledge? As Australian PM he didn't do any of the negotiating. Even the deals that came to fruition whilst he was PM were staffed and largely negotiated before he became PM. Before becoming PM his background had not been trade related - he was never a trade minister, only holding domestic portfolios, and even during his 2 years as PM he focussed on domestic issues. He simply doesn't have relevant knowledge or experience.

He does know how to sign the bottom of them, once they are done.

That will put him in a class of his own amongst our existing buffoons.

9 hours ago, West 77 said:

He's been appointed because he has experience in negotiating trade deals when he was Australian Prime Minister. It seems a sensible appointment because Britain haven't had British people negotiating our own trade deals for nearly 50 years.

Was he Australias trade minister, surely the Prime Minister would have underlings to do trade deals?

Just like Boris Johnson has Liz Truss to organise trade deals.

Edited by El Cid

23 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Was he Australias trade minister, surely the Prime Minister would have underlings to do trade deals?

Just like Boris Johnson has Liz Truss to organise trade deals.

I think we're up to our necks in deep doo doo. And the appointment of Abbott implies we'll keep on digging.

Perhaps Johnson got the short lived PM from the land of Oz mixed up with Russ Abbot.

Edited by Longcol

53 minutes ago, Longcol said:

I think we're up to our necks in deep doo doo. And the appointment of Abbott implies we'll keep on digging.

Perhaps Johnson got the short lived PM from the land of Oz mixed up with Russ Abbot.

Truss and Abbott.

That should generate an Atmosphere.