The Conservative Party - Part Two.

3 hours ago, the_bloke said:

The Lords should only be composed of ex MPs IMO.

At least hereditary peerages don't exist anymore.

At least his brother is an ex mp having fallen out with Boris at least twice when he was an MP. 

4 hours ago, Sidonica said:

At least his brother is an ex mp having fallen out with Boris at least twice when he was an MP. 

Indeed.

Joe Johnson will be a valuable addition to the Lords.

I don’t think that you could say the same about Phillip May, Ian Botham, or some of the other oddballs that have been proposed.

***Breaking News***

Another Naughty Tory - Its just like watching 'Mrs America'. Do they think they own the people they employ?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/01/former-minister-arrested-sexual-assault-charge

Edited by Flanker7
more

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

We don't know whether the Tory MP is naughty. Like everyone else in this country the Tory MP is innocent until proven guilty.

Let’s just talk about Charlie Elphicke for now, then.

Or Michael Fallon.

Or  Christopher Pincher.

Or Damien Green.

Or Andrew Griffiths.

Of course everyone charged with an offence is innocent until proven guilty. Many people in  similar positions withdraw from public life until the matter is sorted out. Charlie Elphicke, 49, the former Conservative MP for Dover, stood down shortly before he was charged in July 2019.

He was in the same position for many, many months. He was suspended by the Conservatives when "serious allegations" were passed to police in November 2017, but the whip was restored ahead of a confidence vote against then-Prime Minister Theresa May in 2018. He was again suspended after being charged with three counts of sexual assault on 22 July 2019. Mrs Elphicke, a Conservative party worker for many years, succeeded her husband as the MP for Dover in the General Election of 2-19.

Then the verdict was handed down and at that point , and not before, his wife said “Today’s verdict is one that brings profound sorrow. It ends my 25 year marriage to the only man I have ever loved.”

Of course the Conservative party, their then leader and Elphicke’s wife have faith in British Justice. Maybe I am cynical but, the above shenanigans, IMO, show  calculated attempts to minimise damage - which failed. Furthermore, was a moral stand taken at any point?

The current scandal is another opportunity for the Conservatives to show us their moral compass. Not the guilt or innocence of anyone.

The initial details are not encouraging with the revelation that the Chief Whip knew about the allegations a month ago.**

** Correction -- The Sunday Times reported that a fellow Conservative MP first raised the woman’s allegation with Mark Spencer, the Tory chief whip, and Jacob Rees-Mogg, the leader of the House of Commons, after speaking to the alleged victim a month ago. The Press Association said that Spencer had advised her to make a formal complaint.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/01/former-minister-arrested-sexual-assault-charge

Not quite the same thing.

Why are the Press Association speaking for Spencer?

Edited by Flanker7
Correction & more.

Tory MP's continue to show unknown "talents" - Here's Tatton MP Esther McVey driving an invisible car.........................

22 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Tory MP's continue to show unknown "talents" - Here's Tatton MP Esther McVey driving an invisible car.........................

You’ve done exceptionally well to find any talent in dear old Esther.

She’s so incompetent that even Johnson didn’t stick by her.

11 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It's irrelevant that Charlie Elphicke stood down before he was charged. Why should an unnamed or named MP stand down or withdraw from public life because allegations have been made against him or her and the police are investigating the matter?  False allegations for political reasons  or vendetta motives would most likely increase if MPs were forced to withdraw from public life after allegation are made against them until the matter is sorted out.  

In many professions, if someone is accused of a serious sexual offence, they would be immediately suspended until everything was sorted out. I don’t see why that shouldn’t happen to an MP.

14 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

In many professions, if someone is accused of a serious sexual offence, they would be immediately suspended until everything was sorted out. I don’t see why that shouldn’t happen to an MP.

Indeed. Not sure if West77 would like a teacher charged with child sex offences still teaching their offspring. But it might be a vendetta so...

1 hour ago, West 77 said:

The Tory party who are in a better position than you to make a judgement have decided not to withdraw the whip from the unnamed MP.  If you are unhappy with the situation regarding MPs accused with serious  sexual offences then I suggest you write a letter to your local MP. I am happy for the law and house of commons procedure to continue to work  as it it does regarding criminal allegation towards serving MPs.

It’s fine. I’m quite happy to let the media shine a spotlight on the Tories as a party who tolerate sex offenders.

They were happy to restore the whip to the sexual assailant Elphicke when they were desperate for a vote or two.

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

The Tory party who are in a better position than you to make a judgement have decided not to withdraw the whip from the unnamed MP.  If you are unhappy with the situation regarding MPs accused with serious  sexual offences then I suggest you write a letter to your local MP. I am happy for the law and house of commons procedure to continue to work  as it it does regarding criminal allegation towards serving MPs.

The Tory Party withdrew the Whip from Charlie Elphicke as a result of 'serious allegations'. This as it turned out this did not include rape. Todays relevations do include allegations of rape, obviously a more serious offence. I want to know what are the differences between then and now. This will run and run until the public are told more about these 'allegations'. 

There is an obvious lack of consistancy here.  Some people are tractable and will 'tug the forelock' when told to do so. 

I for one am not prepared to accept that my so called 'betters' know better.