Coronavirus - Part Two.

13 minutes ago, butlers said:

BBC News - Kendal Covid conspiracy brothers jailed for buying pistol
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-59274090

But the trouble with these conspiracies is they will be thought of as conspiracies created to bring down the truthseekers, it's a never ending cycle of nonsense

7 minutes ago, melthebell said:

But the trouble with these conspiracies is they will be thought of as conspiracies created to bring down the truthseekers, it's a never ending cycle of nonsense

Suppose for a moment you were a conspiracy theorist ...

You're very sceptical of the MSM and the government. I understand this and share some of the scepticism. You're very sceptical of national statistical offices and other sources of data. I'm struggling with this step but I can imagine where it leads. Ok, so you're hyper-sceptical and you make the choice to carry on as far as possible as you were pre-pandemic because your knowledge of the World has not changed.

But now here's the step that I do not understand: you're hyper-sceptical which means you don't know stuff how does that lead you to trust social media and other dubious sources so that you know stuff, from my point of view nonsensical stuff?

43 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Suppose for a moment you were a conspiracy theorist ...

You're very sceptical of the MSM and the government. I understand this and share some of the scepticism. You're very sceptical of national statistical offices and other sources of data. I'm struggling with this step but I can imagine where it leads. Ok, so you're hyper-sceptical and you make the choice to carry on as far as possible as you were pre-pandemic because your knowledge of the World has not changed.

But now here's the step that I do not understand: you're hyper-sceptical which means you don't know stuff how does that lead you to trust social media and other dubious sources so that you know stuff, from my point of view nonsensical stuff?

The human brain is wired to seek patterns in what it senses -it 'needs an explanation'.

Some brains find it easier to  only accept 'full' explanations, rejecting the more complex, incomplete  and counter intuitive.

In some this leads to certain behaviour patterns which includes only accepting sources that confirm the belief and rejecting  all others no matter how rational.

Undermining rational sources, creating enemies in the form of people and organizations were there are none, attaching derogatory labels to people in an effort to sustain a belief and a special understanding.

Historically the effects on society were marginal and not worthy of a response. However the nature of the beliefs in this case is potential very harmful to health.

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The human brain is wired to seek patterns in what it senses -it 'needs an explanation'.

Some brains find it easier to  only accept 'full' explanations, rejecting the more complex, incomplete  and counter intuitive.

In some this leads to certain behaviour patterns which includes only accepting sources that confirm the belief and rejecting  all others no matter how rational.

Undermining rational sources, creating enemies in the form of people and organizations were there are none, attaching derogatory labels to people in an effort to sustain a belief and a special understanding.

Maybe, although pops and tops are hardly keen to offer an explanation, half-baked or otherwise, of the workings of the global conspiracy which they clearly feel confident is behind all the supposed misinformation.

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Historically the effects on society were marginal and not worthy of a response. However the nature of the beliefs in this case is potential very harmful to health.

I did a back of the envelope calculation of some of the costs of covid scepticism. Towards the end of May, the US and the UK had similar proportions of their populations vaccinated. Thereafter, the US's vaccination programme slowed quite quickly while the UK's continued strongly. So ... I tried applying the UK's case fatality rate to the US' case count for the period from late May onwards. Had the US had our case fatality rate for this period they would have had roughly 100 000 fewer deaths*. Now there are some problems with the method but I think this gives a sense of just how much damage the propagation of these conspiracy theories has done.

* You can check my working using data from Our World in Data.

21 hours ago, RJRB said:

Some more statistics for you to forensically analyse.

If you read nothing more please see the sentence near the end which basically states that the majority of deaths and hospitalisations throughout Europe are amongst the unvaccinated.

Fortunately most people of sound mind will continue to follow the sensible path.https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59273273

Using the BBC as evidence, good grief!!!

21 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Your first sentence. Why would you do that ?  You are callous and I am being polite

Callous is using the tragic death of a baby in an article to further a cause, absolutely disgraceful and shows the desperate lengths they'll go to to keep this nonsense going, despicable.

2 minutes ago, top4718 said:

So show us where you get your facts from. 

20 hours ago, Longcol said:

Yup - Sweden has a higher death rate per million (1,478) than Germany (1,166).

Sweden has a far higher death rate than all its Scandinavian neighbours.

Success!

I think the aim for most countries is to put an end to the pandemic and get back to some normality, in that respect Sweden is a success yes, if the infection rate in Germany carries on as it is the death rate will also rise and they still have the problem, Sweden has also kept pretty much open so will also not have the collateral damage that the likes of the UK will have going forward, unfortunately your Covid obsessed mind won't be able to comprehend that other health issues particularly cancers and mental health will increase due to the effects of lockdowns etc.

5 minutes ago, Longcol said:

So show us where you get your facts from. 

The Beano, its far more truthful than the BBC, and I've just noticed Neil Ferguson is in the article as well, someone who's been wrong at virtually every turn with his doom and gloom predictions and couldn't even stick to the restrictions himself. total clown.

Edited by top4718

9 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Callous is using the tragic death of a baby in an article to further a cause, absolutely disgraceful and shows the desperate lengths they'll go to to keep this nonsense going, despicable.

Callous is also suggesting that everyone should just take a lemsip for a virus that causes lung damage

1 minute ago, top4718 said:

I think the aim for most countries is to put an end to the pandemic and get back to some normality, in that respect Sweden is a success yes, if the infection rate in Germany carries on as it is the death rate will also rise and they still have the problem, Sweden has also kept pretty much open so will also not have the collateral damage that the likes of the UK will have going forward, unfortunately your Covid obsessed mind won't be able to comprehend that other health issues particularly cancers and mental health will increase due to the effects of lockdowns etc.

Lockdowns are pretty much over. Health services have spent most of the summer playing catch up. 

My wife was diagnosed with cancer in August and has been undergoing treatment since September.

Sweden has taken an almighty hammering compared to its Scandinavian neighbours, Is it any nearer "normality" than Norway, Denmark and Finland?

9 minutes ago, top4718 said:

The information comes from several sources as mentioned in the article and reported in this case by the BBC.

i.e.the evidence is not provided by the BBC.There is a difference.

However if you can provide more unbiased sources of information,please share.

Just now, Delayed said:

Callous is also suggesting that everyone should just take a lemsip for a virus that causes lung damage

I don't know a single person with lung damage from it. If your lungs are already damaged it might do you some harm though possibly, a work colleague of mine has COPD and is over 60, he caught the virus pre-vaccination and is absolutely fine, he was classed as being high risk and had just come back to work after shielding when he contracted it. Paracetemol and rest will easily get rid of it for the majority of us.

3 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Lockdowns are pretty much over. Health services have spent most of the summer playing catch up. 

My wife was diagnosed with cancer in August and has been undergoing treatment since September.

Sweden has taken an almighty hammering compared to its Scandinavian neighbours, Is it any nearer "normality" than Norway, Denmark and Finland?

They are nowhere near catching up, that oracle of truth The Guardian quoted a backlog figure of 5.7m a few days ago, as you will well know as you are sadly living with a cancer sufferer early diagnosis is key.

All the Scandi countries are doing well in getting over the virus and moving forward without restrictions.

1 minute ago, top4718 said:

I don't know a single person with lung damage from it. If your lungs are already damaged it might do you some harm though possibly, a work colleague of mine has COPD and is over 60, he caught the virus pre-vaccination and is absolutely fine, he was classed as being high risk and had just come back to work after shielding when he contracted it. Paracetemol and rest will easily get rid of it for the majority of us.

My friend had covid almost a year ago. She’s still struggling with breathlessness and now has reduced lung capacity.