Coronavirus - Part Two.

Well I take contact details at work for the track and trace (just a name, number, date and time) and had my first conspiracy idiot today.

Flatly refused so got the manager to issue a refund on the card machine.

He mentioned selling, giving the government his details to track him. When I told him they just get locked in a cupboard in the office for 21 days, we only phone if there's an outbreak, he scoffed and muttered something about there not being an outbreak. We just smiled sweetly, gave him his refund and he went on his merry tin foil hatted way.

Sigh

Edited by melthebell

18 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Well I take contact details at work for the track and trace (just a name, number, date and time) and had my first conspiracy idiot today.

Flatly refused so got the manager to issue a refund on the card machine.

He mentioned selling, giving the government his details to track him. When I told him they just get locked in a cupboard in the office for 21 days, we only phone if there's an outbreak, he scoffed and muttered something about there not being an outbreak. We just smiled sweetly, gave him his refund and he went on his merry tin foil hatted way.

Sigh

I think "conspiracy idiot" is a bit harsh!

Many people dislike giving details away, as they are well aware that the more personal details they do give away, the more likely they are to falling foul of scams / identity theft etc.  All it would need is for someone to copy those details and pass them on.  I've always been reluctant to give information away, as I have seen that the more open you are, the more likely you are to be the victim of crime.  This particularly affects the elderly, so we cannot really on one hand expect people to willingly pass their details to businesses without understanding the unwillingness of some to do so.

Yes, I know there is track and trace, and those run by companies are likely to be far more efficient that the government versions. 

The problem is that once the data has been gathered, it can't be "clawed back" IF the pandemic is over.  Frankly, I'm avoiding track and trace, where I can.  I'm making do with home cooked food, and saving a lot in the process!

This is a very good article on where we are now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53951764

I think it needs to be put into perspective as its been around for over 6 months now and yet less than a million have died worldwide from it. I believe this time next year, with or without a virus, people will look back on all that has happened and just think we panicked!

10 minutes ago, apelike said:

I think it needs to be put into perspective as its been around for over 6 months now and yet less than a million have died worldwide from it. I believe this time next year, with or without a virus, people will look back on all that has happened and just think we panicked!

You obviously haven't lost a loved one.

Another "I'm all right Jack, blow you" character.

6 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

As much as someone losing a loved one is always tragic, and if you have I’m sorry, but they are correct that it needs to be put in proportion. 

5 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

People lose loved ones all the time.... every day... every hour.... for a multitude of reasons.   It never stops being distressing to the people affected.

However we are talking about government decisions which could be applied to the entire nation and affect millions of people at once.   That has to be considered with far more rationality and statistical analysis of risk over and above some emotive response.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but that is a factual reality. Apelike makes a valid point.  What is the real impact of this virus in terms of numerical fatalities against the potential catastrophic effects of a hard lockdown in terms of the wider national economy, education, and lifestyle of everybody else.

21 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Good God this thread just goes in circles. 

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

Actually I have lost a family member this year since this all started but it was not due to the virus but age related and unfortunately another one will pass soon also age related so the inevitable just keeps going on.

BTW have you lost a loved one to this? If you have then you have my sincere condolences.

Just as a correction I also meant to say in my post "with or without a vaccine" but mistakenly put virus instead.

2 hours ago, apelike said:

I’m not sure that we have panicked. If you look at the US and Brazil, two places that didn’t lockdown properly  the figure are horrendous. Or compare Sweden and Denmark. Not locking down would have been a disaster for the UK.

What I think we have got wrong, is the perception of the disease. The government deliberately set out to scare us all into compliance in the early phase of the disease, and that has seriously affected opening back up now.

We do need to get on with stuff, but not at any cost. Maybe we will look back and say that we over estimated the illness and over reacted to it. But that’s not the same as panicking. 

35 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I’m not sure that we have panicked. If you look at the US and Brazil, two places that didn’t lockdown properly  the figure are horrendous. Or compare Sweden and Denmark. Not locking down would have been a disaster for the UK.

What I think we have got wrong, is the perception of the disease. The government deliberately set out to scare us all into compliance in the early phase of the disease, and that has seriously affected opening back up now.

We do need to get on with stuff, but not at any cost. Maybe we will look back and say that we over estimated the illness and over reacted to it. But that’s not the same as panicking. 

I agree mostly but it was panicking, but that was maybe understandable at the time - it’s not anymore.

I don’t think the comparisons with other countries are relevant.

what isn’t good is the complete lack of leadership in coming out of it.

telling people to go back to work and school cos its safe and you don’t even need to wear a mask whilst saying you have to wear one to go supermarket whilst saying you don’t have to wear one when you go pub is just confusing nonsense.

the Swedish model is clearly the best but we are where we are now - a frightened public.

The lockdown initially, for the first 3 weeks made sense.

they should have gathered their thoughts and thought about how we could relax things faster.

the delay has crippled us.

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

The population of the USA and Brazil add up to 538 million, compare that to the population of Sweden and Denmark which is 15 million.

So when you read about COVID, it is going to appear much worse with a population of 538 million. I am not saying that they handled it well, but the media will make it look worse than it is.