Coronavirus - Part Two.

On 26/08/2020 at 00:37, Pettytom said:

You could always pass their names on to

the relevant authorities. Then they might check.

It would be in everybody else’s interest 

I agree but I have to live alongside these people and if the authorities can’t do their bit why should I put my head above the parapet and would it make any difference?  There’s so many breaches of restrictions- my son had an ‘ Eat Out government discount’ restaurant booking, he arrived on time, told of a slight delay so bought  an over priced bottled drink. As time progressed and another drink later he became aware that social distancing in the bar was become comprised and asked about his table and told another hour to wait. He and his companions left and ended up in a fast food place. Some businesses just don’t deserve support 

7 hours ago, Sheffield Monks said:

There has been much talk this week about working from home.

Just wondering how workers in Sheffield are  feeling about it. Many of you are working from home, and now after many months how you are finding it and if you want to return to the office?

I work in a school and since lockdown in March have been mainly working from home, but I must admit that I am ready to return to work next week  so I can get back into a routine and plus i miss the interaction between colleagues and the students.

Do you miss your colleagues, the office banter? Do you miss popping out at lunchtime for a walk to buy a sandwich? 

Are you happy to carry on working from home because you don't miss the commute?

Well not everyone in the workforce is going to be able to work from home of course, it is mainly those who are office based but isn't that the way working practices were heading, & the pandemic has just refocused & speeded how businesses were intending to operate, giving their workforce more flexibility in how they work? 

Working practices that would probably taken a decade to implement, in normal times, have been implemented in 6 months & allowed many businesses to carry on & survive & allowed central & local government depts to keep providing services.  People should be giving themselves a big pat on the back for how they have adapted. 

Homeworking however, is not a new thing for many.  I have a grandchild who works for the Home Office in Sheffield & he & many of his colleagues were issued with laptops a good 2 years ago & many were already spending days away from the office, using the technology that we've all suddenly become accustomed too, so for him & many of his colleagues, nothing has changed.  He likes the flexibility that homeworking gives him & work productivity over the past few years, hasn't changed from the days when he & his colleagues were spending 5 days a week in the office. There are many bonuses of course, not least time spent on the daily commute. 

However, I was listening to an interesting debate on the subject of homeworking a few weeks ago.  While the vast majority of those who can work from home were in favour, someone threw a spanner in the works by suggesting that if homeworking does become the norm, saving many businesses the money of not having to have large premises, other savings might be looked at?   

Why would a business want to pay Steve from Sheffield £25k per year to do his work from home, when they could have the equally qualified & competent, Svetlana doing the same job on her laptop for £15k by logging on from Minsk? 

Remember that at one time, all UK businesses' call centres were all based in the UK?

Edited by Baron99

33 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Well not everyone in the workforce is going to be able to work from home of course, it is mainly those who are office based but isn't that the way working practices were heading, & the pandemic has just refocused & speeded how businesses were intending to operate, giving their workforce more flexibility in how they work? 

Working practices that would probably taken a decade to implement, in normal times, have been implemented in 6 months & allowed many businesses to carry on & survive & allowed central & local government depts to keep providing services.  People should be giving themselves a big pat on the back for how they have adapted. 

Homeworking however, is not a new thing for many.  I have a grandchild who works for the Home Office in Sheffield & he & many of his colleagues were issued with laptops a good 2 years ago & many were already spending days away from the office, using the technology that we've all suddenly become accustomed too, so for him & many of his colleagues, nothing has changed.  He likes the flexibility that homeworking gives him & work productivity over the past few years, hasn't changed from the days when he & his colleagues were spending 5 days a week in the office. There are many bonuses of course, not least time spent on the daily commute. 

However, I was listening to an interesting debate on the subject of homeworking a few weeks ago.  While the vast majority of those who can work from home were in favour, someone threw a spanner in the works by suggesting that if homeworking does become the norm, saving many businesses the money of not having to have large premises, other savings might be looked at?   

Why would a business want to pay Steve from Sheffield £25k per year to do his work from home, when they could have the equally qualified & competent, Svetlana doing the same job on her laptop for £15k by logging on from Minsk? 

Remember that at one time, all UK businesses' call centres were all based in the UK?

I understand that a lot of the overseas call centre operations have since been inshored.  Companies found these were unpopular with their customers as the quality of work undertaken was not to the same standard. I have seen companies using ‘UK call centres’ as a selling point.

Edited by redruby

Still working from home and still hating it. First couple of months I was working with laptop on my lap and that was awful. Realising that home working was going to continue obviously I had to purchase a suitable desk which made the situation better and improved my productivity. However, I know my productivity is still down in comparison to being in the office and tbh my main interactions with other people Mon - Fri came from the office environment so I have missed that. 

Edited by saywhatnow

3 hours ago, saywhatnow said:

Still working from home and still hating it. First couple of months I was working with laptop on my lap and that was awful. Realising that home working was going to continue obviously I had to purchase a suitable desk which made the situation better and improved my productivity. However, I know my productivity is still down in comparison to being in the office and tbh my main interactions with other people Mon - Fri came from the office environment so I have missed that. 

Each to their own. Going forward companies offering the opportunity for remote working (at least on part time basis) where appropriate and for those that want it is likely to be here to stay. Benefits are to had on both sides.

1 hour ago, Easy livin said:

anyone who is an accountant, a software engineer,  a customer service rep.    can be replaced by a cheaper version in a cheaper country.

This is happening now

2 hours ago, Easy livin said:

The biggest benefits will be to the companies

Once they realise they can communicate with their staff from home, they will look for cost cutting measures.

anyone who is an accountant, a software engineer,  a customer service rep.    can be replaced by a cheaper version in a cheaper country.

look how quickly  the call centres where outsourced.

there are going to be a lot of smug home workers  looking for work in the next few years

A lot call centres have been inshored now- see my earlier post about this.

The quality of service provided is often second rate and companies lose business as a result.

47 minutes ago, Easy livin said:

a very old link.  but  one that will become more relevant soon

https://www.theverge.com/2013/1/16/3882900/verizon-software-engineer-outsourced-his-entire-job-to-china

Whatever happens it’s too late to put the genie back in the bottle now. If work can be outsourced effectively it will happen whatever. I was simply pointing out that it CAN be a false economy for employers. 

Another side to this discussion is the learning "on the job" that goes on through interaction with colleagues.  That is where you learn through seeing how experienced colleagues deal with things.  As well as formal personnel training, a lot goes on this way that is equally beneficial.  How can you do that if you are working from a laptop in your bedroom?

Yes, many jobs CAN be done from home, and perhaps technology will mean in future that more work is done from home.  I would also suggest that the lack of colleagues interaction will lead to more social isolation, causing more stress to individuals, and without the release of workplace chat and banter it could even have mental health implications for some.

Well at least HMG have sorted out testing in care homes................................

not

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/aug/29/uk-care-homes-still-denied-covid-tests-despite-hancock-pledge-officials-warn

How long does it take - this is not rocket science - it's basic competence - or incompetence with this government.

2 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Another side to this discussion is the learning "on the job" that goes on through interaction with colleagues.  That is where you learn through seeing how experienced colleagues deal with things.  As well as formal personnel training, a lot goes on this way that is equally beneficial.  How can you do that if you are working from a laptop in your bedroom?

Yes, many jobs CAN be done from home, and perhaps technology will mean in future that more work is done from home.  I would also suggest that the lack of colleagues interaction will lead to more social isolation, causing more stress to individuals, and without the release of workplace chat and banter it could even have mental health implications for some.

The WPP chief executive recently stated the he didn’t think it was sustainable long term to have 99% of staff working remotely.  However he also thought 99% return to the office was equally unfeasible.  Which pretty much sums it up. 

On 26/08/2020 at 11:40, West 77 said:

There will always be those looking for loop holes. The quarantine should include anyone who has visited France recently  It would be harder for people to find loops holes if the Schengen area didn't exist.

Am I reading this right?

"Quarantine" is enforced by a phone call asking people if they are self isolating. And if they say "yes" then it's OK.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/aug/28/how-is-quarantine-enforced-for-uk-arrivals-travel-questions-answered

Doesn't need someone with an IQ of lukewarm (think Grayling, Williamson) to see how this might not work...................