Coronavirus - Part Two.

Guest sibon
7 minutes ago, apelike said:

Can you put some figures to the above as a rise in percentages only means the percentages have changed and does not give any details of actual numbers for comparison.

The Guardian do a very useful data section, updated daily. It’s fair to say that the numbers aren’t exactly reassuring at the moment.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/28/covid-uk-coronavirus-cases-deaths-and-vaccinations-today?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

3 minutes ago, sibon said:

The Guardian do a very useful data section, updated daily. It’s fair to say that the numbers aren’t exactly reassuring at the moment.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/28/covid-uk-coronavirus-cases-deaths-and-vaccinations-today?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Thanks....

It's the mortality rate that I am interested is as that to me is the best guide. It seems that it is a very low 19 which I think is actually reassuring and shows that percentages are not the best guide, shock, horror deaths are now up 53% sort of thing.

Guest sibon
3 minutes ago, apelike said:

Thanks....

It's the mortality rate that I am interested is as that to me is the best guide. It seems that it is a very low 19 which I think is actually reassuring and shows that percentages are not the best guide, shock, horror deaths are now up 53% sort of thing.

Yes. But.

Do remember that deaths lag infections by about four to six weeks. The infection figure has been rising steadily for a month. Hospitalisation has climbed in the last few weeks and now deaths have started to move upwards.

Who knows what happens next. I think that’s the reason behind the delay to total unlocking.

The government chooses the trend by its choice of restrictions. Last summer/ autumn the government chose a set of restrictions, (codename: 'normal by Christmas') based on the low numbers and persisted with it until the trend which was the flip-side of what they had chosen made them stop. Or at least the trend would have made them stop if a new variant had not interposed to accelerate the imposition of a severe lockdown.

The situation is different now, we are counting on the trend being stopped by herd immunity before we are overwhelmed. Let's hope the modellers are right.

Those who argue for looser restrictions are asking for a trend of faster growth, one in which infection (and death) provides more of the herd immunity relative to vaccination. They are also arguing for a greater risk of a severe lockdown should progression along the trend in hospitalization demand it.

Edited by Carbuncle

8 hours ago, apelike said:

The governments and businesses that's who. Most people are just like you and me and fed up with the end of the world scenario and scare mongering in the press, yes and also the crazy restrictions and laws.

Not according to the 'experts' on here. I agree both those groups you mention appear to be 'panicking' - but for different reasons. The government because they can't do right for doing wrong' - typical administrative inertia/lack of co-ordination, and businesses because they can see that stopping normal economic activity will cripple them (and the country).

Guest makapaka
9 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

panic meanwhile has killed nobody ... unless that is (when you all calm down) you can tell me otherwise.

You sure about that are you?

Anybody know why daily vaccination rates are dropping? Shortage of vaccine? Shortage of people wanting to be vaccinated?

- I am looking at Our World in Data for daily vaccination rates.

3 minutes ago, Carbuncle said:

Anybody know why daily vaccination rates are dropping? Shortage of vaccine? Shortage of people wanting to be vaccinated?

Lower numbers needing vaccination as a priority?

Guest makapaka
4 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

Was looking at testing data - we’ve tested 4.2m people in the last 4 days.

Edited by makapaka

16 hours ago, Carbuncle said:

Went for my 2nd jab last week at a GP practice. Nurses there seemed a bit downbeat - it was very quiet, 19 people had not attended after booking it. 

Had my first AZ jab in that brief period where is was fine for someone in their 30s to have it, seems people have been crying off going back in for their 2nd, really dont see the logic, you are more likely to get run over and killed outside the GP surgery than get a blood clot from it for crying out loud, just have it and get the course finished.

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Went for my 2nd jab last week at a GP practice. Nurses there seemed a bit downbeat - it was very quiet, 19 people had not attended after booking it. 

Had my first AZ jab in that brief period where is was fine for someone in their 30s to have it, seems people have been crying off going back in for their 2nd, really dont see the logic, you are more likely to get run over and killed outside the GP surgery than get a blood clot from it for crying out loud, just have it and get the course finished.

It is unlikely that their motivation for not having the 2nd is blood clots, otherwise they'd not have had the first one.

13 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

It is unlikely that their motivation for not having the 2nd is blood clots, otherwise they'd not have had the first one.

It was in that brief period where it was deemed fine for a 30 something to have it, people will blindly lap up the scare stories.

Edited by HeHasRisen