Jump to content


Coronavirus - Part Two.

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, top4718 said:

 

 

Can I ask the people who think this is all above board why any good new is rarely broadcast, NYC has dropped 99% restrictions, one of the most famous cities in the world and it doesn't even warrant a mention on MSM, odd. The BBC was also pushing the situation in India with around four stories a day not things have levelled off and are falling not a mention, does no one find this even a little bit strange?

No-because sadly, bad news sells.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carbuncle said:

Hmmm ... there is a famous quote in modelling made by statistician, George Box that "All models are wrong, some are useful." I would say it gives a pretty clear steer on how to think about science.

Mathematical models are an approximation of the real world in numbers.

Newtons' model  and Einsteins' model  are radically different.

To build HS2 you only need Newtons' Model.

To get to Mars we will need Einsteins' Model.

Both models are "right" and both models are "wrong", the statistician won't  know why, the scientist will.

The Conspiracy Theorist doesn't know how a  scientific theory and a mathematical model interact.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

In science 'mostly right' =  start again from scratch.

The epidemiology modellers know their models are wrong, they are not trying to hide it. Their models do however contain insight. At the moment, that is in their last submissions to SPI-M-O and SAGE, it is clear that they feel uncertainty is particularly high at the moment. Not only are they signalling this with wide credible intervals ('known unknowns') but they are also signalling low confidence in their models ('unknown unknowns'). Government policy is to allow rates of infection to explode albeit not as rapidly as would have happened had the last restrictions been released on the 21st. The models suggest we will probably be ok (ie hospitals probably not over-run, deaths in the low 10,000s in the reasonable worse case) but we are going to be very vulnerable to any kind of unpleasant surprise (not captured in the models) emerging around the peak of the third wave.

 

Being an expert means having some sense of how much faith to place in your models. Being 'mostly right' does not mean they have to 'start again from scratch'. Their models are wrong but useful.

 

The news media is currently focusing on the relatively low current covid numbers and the possibility of business failures. They are not overstating the threat from covid, they are mostly ignoring the coming peak and speaking as if the possibility of a third wave is still a matter of conjecture when it actually started at least a month ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been on C4 that the nhs is putting planing in place for the 3rd wave to be half the size if the first.

 

As to letting go of restrictions like some were strongly calling for last autumn,more people died in care homes in the 2nd wave than the first despite testing being available and knowledge gained 

It seems a bit of a myth that " sheltering " the  vunerable would really have worked as well as some seem to believe.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, top4718 said:

To be fair the conspiracy theorists have been mostly right so far.

They can't make up their mind if covid is real or caused by 5G phone masts and whether vaccines are used to kill us in our millions or implant us all with a microchip to control us.

 

But just like 9/11 etc they'll all unite round "it can't possibly  be what the MSM says....................."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horizon special just starting now on the development of the Covid vaccine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The Government are planning to legislate that all care staff in the residential care sector will have to be vaccinated.

 

I support them in that. I know that persuading people is always preferable, but apparently there is a significant minority who are refusing to be vaccinated and are not persuadable.

Edited by Mister M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carbuncle said:

 

The epidemiology modellers know their models are wrong, they are not trying to hide it. Their models do however contain insight. At the moment, that is in their last submissions to SPI-M-O and SAGE, it is clear that they feel uncertainty is particularly high at the moment. Not only are they signalling this with wide credible intervals ('known unknowns') but they are also signalling low confidence in their models ('unknown unknowns'). Government policy is to allow rates of infection to explode albeit not as rapidly as would have happened had the last restrictions been released on the 21st. The models suggest we will probably be ok (ie hospitals probably not over-run, deaths in the low 10,000s in the reasonable worse case) but we are going to be very vulnerable to any kind of unpleasant surprise (not captured in the models) emerging around the peak of the third wave.

 

Being an expert means having some sense of how much faith to place in your models. Being 'mostly right' does not mean they have to 'start again from scratch'. Their models are wrong but useful.

 

The news media is currently focusing on the relatively low current covid numbers and the possibility of business failures. They are not overstating the threat from covid, they are mostly ignoring the coming peak and speaking as if the possibility of a third wave is still a matter of conjecture when it actually started at least a month ago.

I have been involved  over several post with someone discussing our very different views on the impact of corovirus. 

The 'mostly right' bit is a quote from them. I admit to playing on the phrase.

I made no link between 'mostly right' and the use of models which you introduced.

 

Modelling usually supports the the ability to make predictions and test them.

Medical science, theoretical physics, climate, environmental, behavioural etc., where the absence of evidence and the limited possibility of experimentation leads to statistical modelling techniques being used and accepted as the major source of evidence. This is risky and models are often repeatedly tweaked to give "better" outcomes that fit observations. As this is risky the majority of scientific research sticks to the orthodox method which will likely identify numerous 'dead ends'.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, butlers said:

Horizon special just starting now on the development of the Covid vaccine

Please stop watching main stream media on this situation, they are paid to feed you absolute garbage, Lord Haw Haw would be proud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Longcol said:

They can't make up their mind if covid is real or caused by 5G phone masts and whether vaccines are used to kill us in our millions or implant us all with a microchip to control us.

 

But just like 9/11 etc they'll all unite round "it can't possibly  be what the MSM says....................."

The lad @top4718 has some valid points but has done what a lot of people do and take an extreme viewpoint whereby any counter is disregarded.

 

there’s definitely a valid argument that we’re storing up a different type of health crisis. There’s a definite argument that the impact on the young is not being considered.

 

it’s clear however that the virus has the ability to overrun healthcare systems if left unchecked, and does kill people, so arguing that it’s anything over than that is daft. Plus the conspiracy stuff is  nonsense.

 

I personally think we’ve backed ourselves into a bit of a corner where we seem to be pursuing a zero tolerance to the virus whilst simultaneously trying to encourage a return to normality.

 

massive mixed message which is why we have stupid rules that make no sense - like allowing a pub to fill up with people drinking and not wearing masks but then putting one on to walk to the toilet etc - just makes people question the narrative.

 

a proper government would come out and provide real explanations of risk and why certain restrictions / guidance was in place - but we don’t have it.

 

for example I’m happy to wear a mask in a busy train carriage from Birmingham to Sheffield - i think it’s a joke I have to wear one to stand at the entrance to a pub which when I get in I can take off etc 

 

 

Edited by makapaka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Please stop watching main stream media on this situation, they are paid to feed you absolute garbage, Lord Haw Haw would be proud.

Read the David Icke Forum and turn your brain to mush.................................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Longcol said:

Read the David Icke Forum and turn your brain to mush.................................

Read it? 
 

He wrote it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

X