Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 minute ago, Carbuncle said:

I wasn't suggesting a bot with the purpose of persuading people to believe it's conspiracies rather I was wondering whether a conspiracy bot might be an easy way to redirect a thread away from meaningful discussion by filling it with garbage.

Conspiracy theorists are eminently capable of that in my experience..

Look at this from last night - Covid to Aliens in a couple of posts.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/473199-coronavirus-part-two/page/518/?tab=comments#comment-8426186

Lot to be said for the above.

4 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Conspiracy theorists are eminently capable of that in my experience..

Look at this from last night - Covid to Aliens in a couple of posts.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/473199-coronavirus-part-two/page/518/?tab=comments#comment-8426186

Pretty amazing but swarfendor is strictly hit and run whereas top<<<< manages to engage even in vacuity.

Does swarfendor actually post anything but links?

1 minute ago, Carbuncle said:

Pretty amazing but swarfendor is strictly hit and run whereas top<<<< manages to engage even in vacuity.

But importantly he hasn't found a single supporter - from personal experience they tend to "recruit" if unchallenged.

8 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Same as I always challenged 9/11 truthers etc 10 years or so back - point out obvious stupid errors and they lose credibility to the undecided. We had a real glut of conspiracy theories for a few years.

Eventually most resort to personal abuse or move on.

Isn't it also in the interests of residents and their well being?

Yes, I think my first point alluded to that from a resident/relative point of view. However there are many occurrences where ‘caring’ organisations have prioritised finances over appropriate provision. Just today a private provider of secure accommodation for young people has been closed after keeping children isolated for 23 hours per day during the pandemic and citing staff shortages 

11 minutes ago, catmiss said:

There are a couple of important points for care home owners:

*having all staff vaccinated will make them more attractive to potential residents/relatives 

*having unvaccinated staff could leave them vulnerable to legal action, possibly without insurance cover, if residents contract Covid. 

Although I ‘m not entirely comfortable with compulsory vaccination I think commercial interests may well prevail 

Well, me too if it is for every single person.

Things change.

This virus even with vaccine, is still dangerous to certain groups, and at the moment we know for sure this is old people, and especially old people with health problems - which is basically almost everyone in a home. 

And let's remember that like all vaccinations, nothing is 100%

But if my relative was in a care home where staff refused vaccination, then I would look to move them. Insurance things of course are an issue, but my primary concern would be for my relative. 

NHS staff have to have vaccinations to work with certain people, so it's not much different. We have to have jabs to go on holidays in certain countries. 

Times change. We are living in different times now, and this isn't going to go away. 

I don't entirely agree that this is commercial interest, I think people will make choices, and if AnnaB says she would be happy for her relative to go into a home where everyone refused the vaccine, then I'll have to rethink. 

She won't answer though. As will no one else who is anti-government

4 minutes ago, butlers said:

Does swarfendor actually post anything but links?

I haven't seen anything but links.

3 minutes ago, Longcol said:

But importantly he hasn't found a single supporter - from personal experience they tend to "recruit" if unchallenged.

True. I read the MAC 33 flat Earth stuff. It felt like MAC 33 had to work for the attention. When I set up my troll farm in St Petersburg I am go to stock it with top<<<< bots and I am not going to bother with swarfendors (too little response) or MAC 33 s (too much effort).

Of course this is not just about commercial interest, there are a lot of ethical issues involved but, as some people have eluded to, they would opt for care provided by fully vaccinated staff and home owners will see the commercial advantage of this

If we as a country closed all our ports and stopped anybody from coming into the country for ever, AND we forced everybody to be vaccinated AND we didn't miss a single human being AND we couldn't catch covid from pets etc AND the vaccines were all 100% proof in keeping us safe from Covid AND everybody was medically able to take the vaccines..... perhaps we as a country could be safe from it.

We have regular visitors delivering our food (with real or fake covid certification of course)

We can't stop illegal immigration or much of other travel

None of the vaccines are 100% effective

Some people can't take the vaccines

Many people will refuse and fight against vaccination, for all sorts of reasons

We can always make reasons for targetting minorities ... then go for another minority  target... until we get our way.  Countries have started that way and turned into Dictatorships as a result since the dawn of time.

Perhaps we all agree Care Home staff should be vaccinated.....the all the NHS.... then teachers.... then....

If/when Covid is over, someone says we should all........starting with......and so on

Once we start forcing people to do things, we start a very big ball rolling, and we all get squashed someway down the road. 

Think twice before agreeing we should start making things mandatory!

After a day thinking about it and in light of more vunerable in care homes died this winter gone than the initial outbreak,I think vaccination should be mandatory .

Something approaching 1/4 of all deaths gave been in care homes.

I would think the uptake of vaccine has already been very high rather like the nhs .

You might want to reconsider if you're planning to holiday in Europe later this Summer. In contrast to the situation just a few weeks ago, the UK is now registering more cases per day than any of the EU member states. Further our daily case counts are rising rapidly in contrast to numbers in the EU. This divergence is in accord with the government's plan to let things (vaccinations but also infections) run until herd immunity brings our portion of the epidemic under control. Hopefully this will work out for us but it would be better if we didn't export our infections to the less vaccinated EU population and if they have any sense they will increasingly clamp down on travel from the UK as we approach the anticipated (by SAGE) peak in July or perhaps August.

If you want to check my statements on the numbers and trends in cases you can do so at https://ourworldindata.org/