Coronavirus - Part Two.

9 hours ago, top4718 said:

What is very interesting from this is the fact that there were only 30k more deaths in this pandemic year than in 1996 despite a leap of 9m in population hmmmmmm.

So you can’t explain it then and have answered a question with a question.

Why did we suddenly got 80,000 more deaths between March and December last year if it wasn’t caused by Covid?

What do you think caused it?

27 minutes ago, makapaka said:

So you can’t explain it then and have answered a question with a question.

Why did we suddenly got 80,000 more deaths between March and December last year if it wasn’t caused by Covid?

What do you think caused it?

I didn't say Covid didn't exist I said its impact had been exaggerated, I asked if the age range of the dead was available, they are not indispensable but are much easier to target for protection whilst the majority carry on with normality, like we do with flu season. Once the majority of the vulnerable were vaccinated restrictions should have been lifted.

12 hours ago, top4718 said:

Incidentally he also published the graph that showed no excess deaths

So why did you quote this fella who said there were no excess deaths - I assume you agree he’s talking rubbish then.

if it’s clear that there were excess deaths last year and that they were caused by Covid?

10 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Once the majority of the vulnerable were vaccinated restrictions should have been lifted.

This is a different argument altogether to whether or not there were excess deaths.

Edited by makapaka

7 minutes ago, makapaka said:

So why did you quote this fella who said there were no excess deaths - I assume you agree he’s talking rubbish then.

if it’s clear that there were excess deaths last year and that they were caused by Covid?

This is a different argument altogether to whether or not there were excess deaths.

I'd prefer to see the data he used again first (which I can't find) you have to be very careful what you believe, what caused the excess deaths in '96 do you think?

It is a different argument but its a question that begs to answered.

11 minutes ago, top4718 said:

what caused the excess deaths in '96 do you think?

The number of deaths and percentage mortality in 96 was consistent with the previous 6 years and the following 6 years.

there was no sudden jump of 80,000 deaths from the previous year after a new virus had been identified.

so  what other plausible explanation is there for 80000 more people dying this year than last year?

4 minutes ago, makapaka said:

The number of deaths and percentage mortality in 96 was consistent with the previous 6 years and the following 6 years.

there was no sudden jump of 80,000 deaths from the previous year after a new virus had been identified.

so  what other plausible explanation is there for 80000 more people dying this year than last year?

Its still a very high figure compared to this year with 9m people less.

1 hour ago, top4718 said:

It's 25 years ago, treatments for many things have improved since then leading to more people surviving things like cancer - just look at the increase in lifespan  (about 5 years extra now compared to 1995) https://www.statista.com/statistics/1040159/life-expectancy-united-kingdom-all-time/ 

For anyone interested here's a link to the mortality numbers from 1838 - there's a similar spike in 1918, although more pronounced due to the smaller population (you need to be able to read an xls file)

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/adhocs/12735annualdeathsandmortalityrates1938to2020provisional

2 hours ago, top4718 said:

Whiteowl has given you a probable explanation above - don’t know why  you are so obsessed with 1996 anyway.

so why do you think deaths leapt in the space of a single year by 80,0000 at the exact same time a new virus emerged?

The ONS when comparing year to year take the previous 5 as an average..

Edited by butlers

16 minutes ago, butlers said:

The ONS when comparing year to year take the previous 5 as an average..

And what?

48 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Whiteowl has given you a probable explanation above - don’t know why  you are so obsessed with 1996 anyway.

so why do you think deaths leapt in the space of a single year by 80,0000 at the exact same time a new virus emerged?

Your missing the point, I’ve never said Covid doesn’t exist but the threat to anyone who is old/vulnerable is virtually nil, it’s like stopping everyone driving to prevent car accidents 

28 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Your missing the point, I’ve never said Covid doesn’t exist but the threat to anyone who is old/vulnerable is virtually nil, it’s like stopping everyone driving to prevent car accidents 

That wasn’t the point you made though - you challenged whether there had ever been excess deaths.

presumably you agree then that there has been excess deaths from Covid and a good indicator of the amount would be the 80,000 leap we got in the space of 9 months when the Covid pandemic started?