We’re excited to announce the forum is under new management! Details to follow.

Coronavirus - Part Two.

17 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Many disabled people who are exempt from wearing masks would feel extremely threated and challenged if 'politely' asked why they are not wearing a mask.

But I also feel threatened by the presence of people who refuse to take simple precautions to protect public health. It makes me anxious to be amongst people who refuse to wear face coverings where they are required to do so. 

I understand that some people can’t, particularly those with autism, but they are not the only people with needs here.

The solution is simple though. Those who are exempt could wear an indication of that exemption. Then there would be no need to politely ask them about their lack of a face covering.

21 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

Many disabled people who are exempt from wearing masks would feel extremely threated and challenged if 'politely' asked why they are not wearing a mask.

I've previously described how 2 people I know no longer use public transport and now limit their shopping, despite being exempt from mask wearing, as they are very anxious about how some members of the public are hostile towards people with hidden disabilities not wearing masks.

How does the silent judging work when you can't tell the difference between the 2?

Why don't  the people you know wear a face visor instead of a mask?  I've seen shoppers wearing face visors.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Why don't  the people you know wear a face visor instead of a mask?  I've seen shoppers wearing face visors.

Visors are pretty pointless without a mask. 

If you are exempt though I suppose a visor could be felt to be better than nothing.

Edited by nikki-red

16 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

Visors are pretty pointless without a mask. 

If you are exempt though I suppose a visor could be felt to be better than nothing.

Why are visors pointless?

They help to prevent droplets spreading.

2 hours ago, andyofborg said:

You dont need to wear a mask at the barbers

I understand that now but that then makes a mockery of having laws for shoppers and transport but none for other close contact businesses such as a barbers where they are much less than a meter away. and in breathing distance. As I have previously pointed out I wear a mask when shopping now because it is against the law not to and not because it makes a difference. 

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Why are visors pointless?

They help to prevent droplets spreading.

Face coverings need to cover the mouth and nose, with no gaps. Theyre supposed to protect people from the wearer as well as the other way round.

Covid spreads through microscopic droplets that can easily get around the open sides of a visor.
We wear them in certain circumstances at work, but always with a mask.

Theyre probably better than nothing at all tho, as I said.

Edited by nikki-red

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, onewheeldave said:

I've previously described how 2 people I know no longer use public transport and now limit their shopping, despite being exempt from mask wearing, as they are very anxious about how some members of the public are hostile towards people with hidden disabilities not wearing masks.

How does the silent judging work when you can't tell the difference between the 2?

Absolutely. I can’t imagine how distressing it must be to have a disability that prevents wearing a mask and be ‘silently judged’ or having to constantly justify oneself  when ‘politely’ asked about it, let alone being challenged more aggressively.

We all need to step back and put ourselves in the shoes of others sometimes.

Just now, redruby said:

Edited by redruby

5 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Northern lockdown rules have banned sex in homes if you do not live together - although hotel romps will be allowed. Has Boris employed someone just to think these crazy ideas up, how on earth can they enforce it? :confused:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/northern-lockdown-rules-sex-banned-22469304

Hotel romps. 😂😂

5 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Hotel romps. 😂😂

I'm sure Boris is a an expert - well he's got to be half decent at something.

Posted (edited)

Good news.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/roll-out-of-2-new-rapid-coronavirus-tests-ahead-of-winter#:~:text=5%2C000%20DNA%20'Nudgebox'%20machines%2C,the%20need%

Innovation. The lab is miniaturised and the test administered on the spot.

The test could possibly be made available to the public over the counter. Employers could utilise it  and test their employees.

Edited by petemcewan