Coronavirus - Part Two.

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

And that's the problem.  Even if people have had 2 jabs, it doesn't stop you catching the virus or carrying it asymptomatically,......

The current evidence at the moment suggests that vaccination also helps stop transmission by between 40-60% which means the likelihood of passing any infection on is basically halved. There is also evidence that the mRNA vaccines also reduces asymptomatic transmission as well.

then there's the opportunity for the virus to continue mutating in the host body & someone passing on an entirely new variant for which we have no protection, despite an excellent vaccination programme.  Then its back to square one again. 

At the moment all the vaccines seem to be effective against the variants as well so it not all bad news.

No more 'Kent' or 'Indian' variants anymore.  WHO to assign Greek letters to variants to stop countries being stigmatised. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-57308592

I can't read greek

32 minutes ago, altus said:

haha

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, GabrielC said:

In Vietnam they have found that the Indian variant and the UK variant have mutated to create an new stronger variant lets hope flights are stopped not holding my breath on that one.

Super-hydrid-mutant-hero variant?

Guest makapaka

No more 'Kent' or 'Indian' variants anymore.  WHO to assign Greek letters to variants to stop countries being stigmatised. 

To be fair the country of Kent has had some hammer.

I suppose it make a little bit more sense especially as we are already using ancient Greek at the moment to describe what's happening. Pandemic for instance has the Greek God Pan as its root.

8 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Seems like a good idea. Thank goodness Greek letters aren't associated with any particular country.

Guest makapaka
1 minute ago, apelike said:

I suppose it make a little bit more sense especially as we are already using ancient Greek at the moment to describe what's happening. Pandemic for instance has the Greek God Pan as its root.

Perfect sense......

5 minutes ago, apelike said:

Was there a Greek God Epi?

why not just use numbers like the professionals?

We all use numbers. Aren't people bright enough these days to put a few numbers together?

I'm sure numbers aren't racist/countryist

Edited by *_ash_*

Cripes, the Peruvians have just changed their death toll figures. They already had high per capita death rates (eg higher than UK) but after review have increased them by a factor of two and a half. Its good that they are being transparent but still its a crushing number.