Jump to content


Coronavirus - Part Two.

Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

She might be an expert on 'lecturing about' civil engineering, but has she done any?

im not questioning her knowledge of civil engineering - more why I should take notice of her in respect of a pandemic.

 

I’m a chartered civil engineering surveyor as it happens - I don’t expect a platform on the national news telling people what to do or not to do with their lives.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, makapaka said:

im not questioning her knowledge of civil engineering - more why I should take notice of her in respect of a pandemic.

 

I’m a chartered civil engineering surveyor as it happens - I don’t expect a platform on the national news telling people what to do or not to do with their lives.

Yep - I understand that entirely,  and the only reason I queried her practical ability was that I wondered where it fitted in with 'advising on hugging'? The medias' choice of interviewee's makes me scratch my head sometimes.

 

Well said in your second paragraph. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advice on next phase is at best unclear, but better described as ....er, extremely unclear.  Data, not dates?  That's been binned.

 

Johnson dubs his opposition as "Captain Hindsight."  A spot of foresight by his government wouldn't go amiss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, steved32 said:

Advice on next phase is at best unclear, but better described as ....er, extremely unclear.  Data, not dates?  That's been binned.

 

Johnson dubs his opposition as "Captain Hindsight."  A spot of foresight by his government wouldn't go amiss.

I think if they had foresight now it would be that holidays abroad would bring back lots more variants, so ban them for now.  Giving dates for possible further easing would excite the press and people and gives false hope, so don't give dates. 

 

If they did both of these, presumably you'd be happy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Traffic lights, but then don't travel?  Erm..."Travelling is not for this year."

 

Quote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...and does Amber mean don't go, or prepare to go?

 

Boris bumbling buffoonery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just seen on Newsnight bbc2 that passengers arriving at Heathrow from Red, Green and Amber countries were mixing together, as there was no seperation at arrival!

 

Clearly, nobody is safe from the variant when using Heathrow!

 

Is it safe to travel abroad at present?  errr...... NO!

Edited by Thirsty Relic
clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Yep - I understand that entirely,  and the only reason I queried her practical ability was that I wondered where it fitted in with 'advising on hugging'? The medias' choice of interviewee's makes me scratch my head sometimes.

 

Well said in your second paragraph. 👍

I’ve been sick of hearing about all the hugging nonsense in the media personally. Especially ‘hugging with caution and restraint’ 😂

The person you are talking about though is presumably Prof Cath Noakes.  I’ve heard her talking about the importance of ventilation of buildings during the pandemic and below is some info on her research interests from a quick search.
 

Noakes specialises in airborne infections and the transport of airborne pathogens. During the COVID-19 pandemic, Noakes served on the Government of the United Kingdom Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE).

Research interests: Ventilation, CFD, Indoor Air, Airborne Infection

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, steved32 said:

...and does Amber mean don't go, or prepare to go?

 

Boris bumbling buffoonery.

Agreed  on what you say about not going on Hols this year,  Pardon the Pun but its all up in the air at the moment. I also agree about Boris, he is a complete Buffoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Just seen on Newsnight bbc2 that passengers arriving at Heathrow from Red, Green and Amber countries were mixing together, as there was no seperation at arrival!

 

Clearly, nobody is safe from the variant when using Heathrow!

 

Is it safe to travel abroad at present?  errr...... NO!

It's all the faff with the testing that really puts us off.  As I understand stand it from looking at the news, even those going to & from such as Portugal, you need a negative test on the way out, then you have to take another test over in Portugal a couple of days before you're allowed to get on the plane back to the UK.  Then you have to take a third test when you get back here. 

 

I don't know how much a pcr test costs over in Portugal but a local chemist here in Sheffield is charging £99 per test with the results in around 30 mins. 

 

If that's the going rate, then we'd be adding around another £600 to the cost of a holiday?

 

At the moment, Spain is on the UK's 'Amber' list, so you're not supposed to travel there.  I wonder if any of those who have travelled to Portugal  have decided to just slip over the border which is open between Portugal & Spain?

Edited by Baron99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redruby said:

I’ve been sick of hearing about all the hugging nonsense in the media personally. Especially ‘hugging with caution and restraint’ 😂

The person you are talking about though is presumably Prof Cath Noakes.  I’ve heard her talking about the importance of ventilation of buildings during the pandemic and below is some info on her research interests from a quick search.
 

Noakes specialises in airborne infections and the transport of airborne pathogens. During the COVID-19 pandemic, Noakes served on the Government of the United Kingdom Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE).

Research interests: Ventilation, CFD, Indoor Air, Airborne Infection

So her specialisation makes her a really suitable person to advise on 'hugging'? - someone is having a laugh, and it isn't me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The EU countries have agreed to open up all of their borders in the coming weeks to travellers who can prove they are fully vaccinated. 

 

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20210519-covid-19-eu-to-reopen-borders-to-travelers-who-are-fully-vaccinated

 

However, before anyone rushes to book a holiday, according to the BBC this afternoon, this is a reciprocal agreement, so if the UK keeps any EU countries on our 'Amber or Red' lists, then UK tourist won't be allowed into those countries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.