Coronavirus - Part Two.

Guest makapaka
8 hours ago, sibon said:

I’ve a lot of sympathy for your point of view. But I do believe that this is a different case.

If you smoke/rock climb/ bungee jump, the risk is your own.

If you refuse the vaccine, the risk becomes more than your own. Unvaccinated people use up more resources and contribute to greater community transmission.

So, if vaccinated you and unvaccinated me were both needing the last ventilator, who gets it?

8 hours ago, sibon said:

Maybe we should get everyone to take out insurance against Covid. Then the market could decide the price for a vaccinated individual vs an unvaccinated one.

How do you think that would turn out?

I think it’s a terrible idea.  

The Indian variant is an double mutation we don't know if the vaccines will work on it for sure I hope so personally but we must be very careful. The government is more interested in dates than data and their desire to get the economy moving again many in the Tory Party are very anti restriction. We will soon find out if cases start to rise nationally my own personal view is we need vaccinate everyone with both doses first. Also we will have to learn to live with Covid it's here to stay.  I recommend Dr John Campbell on YouTube for an more detailed in depth information on the pandemic. 

Guest makapaka
54 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

Link

The government are making an announcement on the 14th of June apparently, but up to now they're saying the Vaccine works on the new Indian variant of Covid-19 so all should go according to plan to let us out of "Prison" the week after.

Thoughts? I normally think Johnson talks out of his trousers but I trust him on this one.

No chance. 

expect the lifting we have had today to be reversed before then.

12 hours ago, redruby said:

A couple weeks or so as stated before. 

The important point is that the end is in sight but until we get to the point of getting enough people vaccinated to stop exponential growth it would incredibly stupid to create a third wave by opening up just a few weeks too early after all we’ve gone through so far.  I think most people would prefer to ride out restrictions a bit longer than take a gamble now. 

As for new variants, a great way to develop more of those is to let the virus rip through unvaccinated and partially vaccinated people.  Once most people are vaccinated the development of new variants reduces and booster vaccinations can be given for greater protection against variants.

The initial lockdown was said to be in order to buy time for a vaccine to be developed, especially for the 85's and over and those with serious pre-existing conditions - these together formed 95% of those in hospital or dying.  That has been done, and deaths and hospitalisations have dropped impressively as a result.  We can't stop people dying from Covid (the vaccines are far from 100% effective anyway), like we can't stop everybody dying of flu, or pneumonia, or cancer etc etc.

We have to resume our lives, and our economy, and the figures bear out that we are on track for the suggested date of 21st of June.  The cost of any further delays (so that the over 30's, or over 20's, or over 10's etc can be vaccinated) will be measured in job losses and lives lost to delaying operations for other illnesses. 

Shagger Boris is notorious for promising the moon on a stick, then reversing the decision at the last minute.

Give him credit, it's won him several elections.

As for me, I'll believe that lockdown is over when it's over.

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

The initial lockdown was said to be in order to buy time for a vaccine to be developed, especially for the 85's and over and those with serious pre-existing conditions - these together formed 95% of those in hospital or dying.  That has been done, and deaths and hospitalisations have dropped impressively as a result.  We can't stop people dying from Covid (the vaccines are far from 100% effective anyway), like we can't stop everybody dying of flu, or pneumonia, or cancer etc etc.

We have to resume our lives, and our economy, and the figures bear out that we are on track for the suggested date of 21st of June.  The cost of any further delays (so that the over 30's, or over 20's, or over 10's etc can be vaccinated) will be measured in job losses and lives lost to delaying operations for other illnesses. 

Thanks, @Thirsty Relic - good points.

I don't think the general public  will stand for another lockdown unless hospital admissions and deaths are about to go through the roof again, the fact a fair few young people are catching the Indian version in a  few Northern towns is irrelevant  on its own unless it translates to hospital and deaths.

Oh and another lockdown would probably mark the end of Boris Johnson. So maybe it wouldnt be too bad.

Edited by HeHasRisen

Guest makapaka
22 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Totally Agree.

20,000 people have flown in from India before the government decided to close the route down according to interview on GMTV. So I'm not holding my breath. But personally, I think it's time to take our chances post 21st June. I don't think people can take much more.

2 hours ago, Mr Allen said:

Link

The government are making an announcement on the 14th of June apparently, but up to now they're saying the Vaccine works on the new Indian variant of Covid-19 so all should go according to plan to let us out of "Prison" the week after.

Thoughts? I normally think Johnson talks out of his trousers but I trust him on this one.

I hope you are right.  I agree with Anna, people have had enough and it’s time to live with it.  I feel sorry for all of those people who have had their operations cancelled and put back for months because of the virus.  

6 hours ago, RollingJ said:

At what point are 'enough people vaccinated'? I would have thought, based on current reports, that we have very nearly reached that point, and as we really do need to - slowly, I agree, move back to normal life I personally cannot see why a gradual reduction in restrictions cannot take place now.

Your approach, with respect, would see a totally destroyed economy, massive unemployment - possibly worse than anything we have seen before (and people are already complaining loudly and correctly about the current figures), not to mention the physical and mental stress this is imposing on many.

You are possibly basing your opinion on the 'models' regularly trotted out by researchers, but based on the previous wildly inaccurate ones, I'm sorry, I won't.

The target is for all adults to be vaccinated is 31 July 2021.

It is now 17 May 2021.

Those few weeks between those dates are critically important particularly with the risks from Indian variant.

Why rush things, now of all times, when we are in the brink of getting over this and potentially setting us back again?  I don’t think people would stand for another lockdown if this goes wrong again. And rightly so.

I think some people haven’t quite understood that we are in a very different position to last year as we now have vaccines and we are getting close to the point of preventing exponential growth. But we are not there QUITE YET!

It not about being locked down  indefinitely!!

There will be minority who do not take up the opportunity for a vaccine but they are too few to stop the vaccine programme working effectively once it has been fully rolled out.

The UK came close to getting Covid under control last summer but blew with it with foreign holidays, eat out to help out etc. 

The fallout from that caused so much more damage to the economy with subsequent lockdowns last autumn and winter that anything I’ve suggested. I wouldn’t even be in the position of suggesting it in the first place if these mistakes hadn’t happened. We would probably be open now with minimal restrictions.

Edited by redruby

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Oh and another lockdown would probably mark the end of Boris Johnson.

I dunno, the alternatives (slimy Gove, Hunt, Hancock and Raab) are somehow less appealing than Shagger Boris