Coronavirus - Part Two.

20 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Building on the Open University?

Yes, and all the new exciting tech. 

Regarding the opening up of travelling & going abroad this year with the published 'Green' list of countries.  I was listening to a Border Force spokeswoman who works at Gatwick Airport being interviewed on the radio yesterday. 

She was explaining the process in place for people arriving in the UK & what they expect to happen when you return from your holidays.  I presume something similar will also take place when you arrive at your holiday destination & have to go through their immigration control at the start of your holiday as well?

Travellers will have to show the relevant COVID documentation that they've been tested, etc in order to enter the UK.  If you don't have it, you'll be issued with a letter of intent that you'll receive a fine & you'll be dealt with accordingly, depending if the country you've arrived from is on the Green, Amber or Red lists. 

Questioned how long this checking would take, the spokeswoman said trials had been run & 'IF' travellers arrived at immigration with all the documentation ready to present, then it would be around 5 MINS per traveller.   

5 MINS & that's if things go smoothly.  The spokeswoman anticipated long delays & warned travellers that they WOULD be held in long arrival queues, that seating, (in Gatwick at least, had been removed), so advised anyone who had difficulty standing for long periods, should arrange for a wheelchair prior to landing & parents should be prepared to find something that will occupy their children while they queue.

All sounds a bit of a nightmare, especially if this is going to occur at both your holiday arrival destination as well?  Think we'll be forgoing a holiday abroad this year.  

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

All sounds a bit of a nightmare, especially if this is going to occur at both your holiday arrival destination as well?  

The experience at both ends shouldn't be easy to deter travel. We've seen over and over again with this that travel spreads it around, and now you will most likely be spreading more contagious and less susceptible to the current vaccine variants. 

I appreciate there are people who really do have to travel, but if the number who don't have to travel is minimal, their experience shouldn't be too bad. I also understand the damage to the sector by keeping numbers low, but do we burn the entire economy just to save one bit?

When more of the world catches up with us in terms infection rates and vaccination then maybe we make it a bit easier, until then it's Skegvegas.  

7 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

When more of the world catches up with us in terms infection rates and vaccination then maybe we make it a bit easier, until then it's Skegvegas.  

Think it will be around Scarbados for us. 

On 06/05/2021 at 11:57, Bargepole23 said:

All of it. Meeting new people and doing new things. They have been given online lectures, sometimes prerecorded, and nothing else. No practical work, no lab work, no group work.

Not true. Lab work has been allowed to be carried out to some extent, depending on the subject and when in the various lockdowns.

Breaking new if you have not already heard it.

Boris has announced that there will be a full public enquiry into the handling of the coronavirus pandemic held in spring 2022.

2 minutes ago, apelike said:

Breaking new if you have not already heard it.

Boris has announced that there will be a full public enquiry into the handling of the coronavirus pandemic held in spring 2022.

I predict 3 things.

It will cost a huge amount of taxpayers  money.

It will take a ridiculous amount of time to complete.

Nothing will be learnt from it.

2 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

I predict 3 things.

Yep.

But at least it should please many on here who have been crying out loud for one.

Maybe they could model this enquiry on the Grenfell Tower one. That seems to be doing such a good job of uncovering the truth, holding people to account and allowing the victims to move on with their lives.

(For the avoidance of doubt, I was being heavily sarcastic)

3 hours ago, Fudbeer said:

I predict 3 things.

You forgot one thing......

"No action will be taken to prevent it happening again" 

This is one of main fundamental problems with people in power, they talk a lot but doing very little to solve any issue.

They love wasting money and valuable time...

3 hours ago, apelike said:

But at least it should please many on here who have been crying out loud for one.

Does he deserve a medal for condescending to allow an inquiry into just how 150,000 of his citizens lost their lives to the pandemic? One of the worst death tolls of any country in the world. 

I mean it's not as if we're an island country, and Johnson wasn't elected on a ticket of 'getting Brexit done' that our borders were left wide open to the disease; that he and his ministers are relaxed about claiming credit for workers in the NHS organising people's vaccinations; that the track and trace was so woefully inadequate; that his ministers only excelled in ensuring their mates were awarded juicy PPE contracts irrespective of their experience in producing PPE; or even that he ignored scientific advice and locked down too late, or raised people's hopes about Christmas, only to see a spike in cases just after Christmas.