Coronavirus - Part Two.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Many South Koreans and some provinces of China eat cats.  If you don't like my source, Google it and look it up for yourselves.

Yeah but last time I checked, South Korea and China aren't in the UK! :lol:

Also, your source was the BBC, they think Leeds is the centre of the Universe! :loopy:

Edited by Mr Allen
More detail.

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Many South Koreans and some provinces of China eat cats.  If you don't like my source, Google it and look it up for yourselves.

I am aware, @Thirsty Relic- my laughs were more re: your 'reliable sources' comment.

9 minutes ago, Mr Allen said:

Yeah but last time I checked, South Korea and China aren't in the UK! :lol:

Also, your source was the BBC, they think Leeds is the centre of the Universe! :loopy:

OK - I get your point about the BBC, but then you are free to Google it and find other sources. 

Although South Korea and China are not in the UK (I never suggested that they were), we may be an island, but that does not stop us getting any disease or virus  strains originating in other countries (as we all know to our cost).

Don't see why it should be, the vaccine seems to be working, cases, deaths, severe problems seem to be falling, and I don't always trust the doom-mongers.

On 28/04/2021 at 13:32, RollingJ said:

OK - let us know how it goes,  though.:wink:

As promised....got there bang on 3pm, about 50 people queuing down the road. Got to the front and the lady managing the queue had just done a count and said it was over 100. Back home now with it done, all sorted.  She did say the uptake in the 40-49 age range in the S2 area had been poor, hence the expansion to the 30s.

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

As promised....got there bang on 3pm, about 50 people queuing down the road. Got to the front and the lady managing the queue had just done a count and said it was over 100. Back home now with it done, all sorted.  She did say the uptake in the 40-49 age range in the S2 area had been poor, hence the expansion to the 30s.

Glad you got sorted. 👍 Weird how some age groups in some areas seem reluctant to help themselves help others.

Posted (edited)

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-mps-urge-ministers-to-maintain-ban-on-foreign-holidays-after-17-may-amid-variant-fears-1229377

"But we can only permit it if it is done safely, which is why the Global Travel Task force has produced the traffic light system allowing us to manage the risk from imported cases by varying restrictions depending on the risk of travel from a specific location.

Are we ever going to be able to travel abroad?

As far as importing new variants. Well, they are already here. The virus spews them  out interminably.

Edited by petemcewan

6 hours ago, petemcewan said:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-mps-urge-ministers-to-maintain-ban-on-foreign-holidays-after-17-may-amid-variant-fears-1229377

As far as importing new variants. Well, they are already here. The virus spews them  out interminably.

You’ll do what your told which is pretty much the norm now.

they’re talking about letting you hug someone now which is nice of them.

6 hours ago, petemcewan said:

As I've been saying for ages, our leaders have given the green light for foreign travel ages ago, by allowing the travel companies to advertise and sell such holidays, despite the Government not having given the final OK to such travel. 

Do you really think that now they are going to keep the ban in place when many of their .....  voters(!) ...... have already booked such holidays?

Expect to wave off many to sunny destinations, then happily welcome them back, wondering what exotic variants they'll have brought back for us!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

As I've been saying for ages, our leaders have given the green light for foreign travel ages ago, by allowing the travel companies to advertise and sell such holidays, despite the Government not having given the final OK to such travel. 

Do you really think that now they are going to keep the ban in place when many of their .....  voters(!) ...... have already booked such holidays?

Expect to wave off many to sunny destinations, then happily welcome them back, wondering what exotic variants they'll have brought back for us!

So what's your suggestions then?

How long is reasonable for restrictions to remain in place, at what point are you ever going to deem it suitable for them to be lifted. Viruses like this mutate all the time. We may never be in a position where it will be 100% guaranteed that someone will not bring some variant back. What do you propose - ban all travel outside of the borders forever?

In the meantime, do we just let all the Airlines, hotels, travel companies, tour companies and their thousands and thousands of employees just collapse and become jobless?  What about the counter impact on the economy, public finances, overseas trade....

People want and need to travel. They cannot be imprisoned in their own borders indefinitely. There has to be a reasonable and calculated balance of risk.

Somebody has to make this very difficult decision and not be swayed by the multitude of polarised armchair critics all arguing the toss on anything between complete and unconditional bans through to complete open and unimpeded movement.

Edited by ECCOnoob