Coronavirus - Part Two.

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

What issue ?

Hillsboro - although that’s not what this thread is about so I’ll leave it there.

Edited by makapaka

10 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Looks like our scheduled easing of lockdowns may be at risk  Boris is speaking to us all at 5pm about the Indian variant:

https://www.cityam.com/latest-news/

This is India's prime minister and chief Muslim hater Narendra Modi, from January 2020

“Friends, I have brought the message of confidence, positivity and hope from 1.3 billion Indians amid these times of apprehension … It was predicted that India would be the most affected country from corona all over the world. It was said that there would be a tsunami of corona infections in India, somebody said 700-800 million Indians would get infected while others said 2 million Indians would die.”

“Friends, it would not be advisable to judge India’s success with that of another country. In a country which is home to 18% of the world population, that country has saved humanity from a big disaster by containing corona effectively.”

Now look at India. The really, really important thing to note here is that Modi is politically very similar to Jair Bolsonaro in Brazil and Donald Trump. All have gained political power not through competence in government, but by shouting loudly about their opponents or just the people they hate - Trump bashed Democrats, Black activists, progressives, anyone whose world view didn't accord with his; Bolsonaro the same, with added bashing of indigenous people, LGBT people, anyone who doesn't look or think like him; Modi is only in power through a Hindu nationalist hatred of Muslims.

All have utterly failed the people of their respective countries against the ravages of Covid. They have been too busy with their paranoid, hate-based fantasies to protect ordinary people from death. There's an important lesson here - do not vote for people based on the prejudices they share with you, vote for them base on how competent they are going to be when you really need someone to come up with effective decisions to keep everyone safe.

Looking at the pandemic terminology.  Here in the UK we have the boring old 'Lockdown'.  Just read that the Portuguese are extending their 'State of Calamity' for a few more weeks. 

6 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Looking at the pandemic terminology.  Here in the UK we have the boring old 'Lockdown'.  Just read that the Portuguese are extending their 'State of Calamity' for a few more weeks. 

I love that!

It's worth noting that the Portuguese don't have the Indian variant yet. I've a feeling that will change soon. 

Still can't believe we left India off the red list for as long as we did.

7 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I love that!

It's worth noting that the Portuguese don't have the Indian variant yet. I've a feeling that will change soon. 

Indeed and we don't need a multi million pound inquiry to tell us that was a staggering blunder!

Edited by Fudbeer

8 minutes ago, Fudbeer said:

Indeed and we don't need a multi million inquiry to tell us that was a staggering blunder!

But will it be in the enquiry? We've already had mat Hancock going on breakfast telly saying that there wasn't a national PPE shortage at all last year, just small localised supply issues.

Edited by tinfoilhat

11 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Is this the same Portugal that has stepped in to host thousands of English citizens for a football match -the same England where there is the Indian variant?

3 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Is this the same Portugal that has stepped in to host thousands of English citizens for a football match -the same England where there is the Indian variant?

Maybe that's why the Portuguese have extended their 'State of Calamity' by a number of weeks, on the off chance that they end up with a couple of variants brought over from England?  Although, presumably, anyone entering Portugal would have to show a negative test beforehand? 

If Portugal does end up with one of our current variants, I'm sure the people of Portugal will be chuffed at their Govt, being responsible for any new variant outbreak all because of a football match? 

Wonder what the next level up from 'State of Calamity' is?  'State of Aaaaaarrrrrrgh!', perhaps? 

10 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I love that!

I think if it was a week earlier, we would still have it as now, but 1 week later than now.

We've seen how quickly the first virus swept around the world, no one escaped it. This is more contagious it seems obvious, (and close to being proved)... there's no way we would have kept it out. And unlikely others will too. Especially once we are allowed to travel again - tests or not. 

Edited by *_ash_*
typo

Guest makapaka

Best thing you can do about this now - is just accept your not getting owt back anytime soon.

Remember the “new normal” - that’s what your living now and will be for god knows how long.

it won’t involve going down the pub and standing with your mates, or going the match or a gig or a club. Or not wearing a face mask.

or going on holiday when or where you want.

or having all your friends and mates round for a party or a wedding or a birthday.

that’s not the “new normal” so you ain’t getting it.

We live in a country of 66m where a (recorded) 4.4m people (prob treble that?) have had the virus and not died - 70% of the adult population have had a vaccine - 38% have had two shots of the vaccine.

but you’re still under - and will be for the foreseeable - strict restrictions on normal life.

the new normal.

Edited by makapaka

2 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Best thing you can do about this now - is just accept your not getting owt back anytime soon.

Remember the “new normal” - that’s what your living now and will be for god knows how long.

it won’t involve going down the pub and standing with your mates, or going the match or a gig or a club. Or not wearing a face mask.

or going on holiday when or where you want.

or having all your friends and mates round for a party or a wedding or a birthday.

that’s not the “new normal” so you ain’t getting it.

We live in a country where a (recorded) 4.4m people have had the virus and not died - 70% of the adult population have had a vaccine - 38% have had two shots of the vaccine.

but you’re still under - and will be for the foreseeable - strict restrictions on normal life.

the new normal.

I watched the news today (rare event) but I couldn't find the remote and it was ITV news, 

Some good experiments going on, and shows lessons learned from the first disastrous openings (I don't blame the govt for that, because I agreed with it at the time, it's only hindsight knowing I was wrong and the govt was wrong) - I knew it wasn't going to go away of course, I'm not stupid, but I didn't realise just how quickly things could get out of control. I've been vax'd, but doesn't mean I'm suddenly thinking it will all be over. 

Any new bad strain could f... everything up. 

I liked the news article about a race, where 2 races were held... 1 with social distancing, and 1 without, then they're all getting tested over next weeks.

This kind of thing is the best we can do I think. No one wants another lockdown, I think we're going in the right direction now. (but maybe next year, I'll be wrong, and again hindsight)

Guest makapaka
16 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

I watched the news today (rare event) but I couldn't find the remote and it was ITV news, 

Some good experiments going on, and shows lessons learned from the first disastrous openings (I don't blame the govt for that, because I agreed with it at the time, it's only hindsight knowing I was wrong and the govt was wrong) - I knew it wasn't going to go away of course, I'm not stupid, but I didn't realise just how quickly things could get out of control. I've been vax'd, but doesn't mean I'm suddenly thinking it will all be over. 

Any new bad strain could f... everything up. 

I liked the news article about a race, where 2 races were held... 1 with social distancing, and 1 without, then they're all getting tested over next weeks.

This kind of thing is the best we can do I think. No one wants another lockdown, I think we're going in the right direction now. (but maybe next year, I'll be wrong, and again hindsight)

We absolutely aren’t on the right path 

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n995