Coronavirus - Part Two.

Will our rollout be affected by the EU?

As an opening salvo, the EU, who have royally messed up their owm rollout of vaccines, are sueing Astra Zeneca.

Their lawyers are demanding UK made AZ vaccines be shipped to the EU (Although they have fridges full of it already, and don't want to use it)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-vaccine-lockdown-end-india/

Would any remainerslike to comment?

From what I've seen of the contracts, they don't have a leg to stand on.

EU = Extremely Useless. If they aren't going to use them, why do they want them? Playground bullies?

1 hour ago, convert said:

Will our rollout be affected by the EU?

As an opening salvo, the EU, who have royally messed up their owm rollout of vaccines, are sueing Astra Zeneca.

Their lawyers are demanding UK made AZ vaccines be shipped to the EU (Although they have fridges full of it already, and don't want to use it)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-vaccine-lockdown-end-india/

Would any remainerslike to comment?

From what I've seen of the contracts, they don't have a leg to stand on.

Not sure why remainer need to comment as such. EU have screwed it royally - I understand they're paying less per jab but took too long to get their arse in gear. Then alot of their leaders (macron especially) have trashed it so the uptake for it, particularly in France is really low. 

Storm in a teacup, it will either get turfed out of court quickly or it will drag on for ages. Had we stayed in the EU we could still be in the same position we are now, individual countries could make their own decisions on vaccines  - a few have, Hungary bought a load of the Russian one. I know daily express readers will get all hot under the collar with it!

It’s one thing messing things up, let’s face it the UK has messed quite a few things up re the pandemic.

However the EU are continuing to compound the error.

Why just take AZ to court, when all the suppliers have fallen behind on delivery schedules?

Why demand 130million UK produced doses, if they can’t give away the AZ does they already have?

4 minutes ago, convert said:

It’s one thing messing things up, let’s face it the UK has messed quite a few things up re the pandemic.

Why just take AZ to court, when all the suppliers have fallen behind on delivery schedules?

Why demand 130million UK produced doses, if they can’t give away the AZ does they already have?

Because they think it makes them look as though they are 'doing something'  - they are, like extending the problem.

Duplicate of a post I put in the tory thread by mistake......... 

I've been seeing more and more recently about these covid passports. I've got to say I think they are a terrible idea and will only end in tears. It's bad enough some people are being refused service in some places for not wearing a mask. Imagine what things will be like if we get to a point where you can't even go shopping without proving you've been vaccinated. 

4 hours ago, convert said:

The following is an extract of an interview with Jean-Claude Juncker in last weekend's 'i' newspaper. 

Juncker admits the stuttering rollout of vaccines across the bloc has damaged the EU’s reputation. “Yes, because the promises made at the beginning of the year, that it was ‘the hour of Europe’ – and it’s always the hour of Europe – and that everyone would be vaccinated before the deadline, well, those promises were not kept,” he says. “But in an extraordinary situation like this, it is inevitable that some mistakes will be made."

One of the few times, make that the only time, I think I've agreed with Juncker. 

3 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

The following is an extract of an interview with Jean-Claude Juncker in last weekend's 'i' newspaper. 

Juncker admits the stuttering rollout of vaccines across the bloc has damaged the EU’s reputation. “Yes, because the promises made at the beginning of the year, that it was ‘the hour of Europe’ – and it’s always the hour of Europe – and that everyone would be vaccinated before the deadline, well, those promises were not kept,” he says. “But in an extraordinary situation like this, it is inevitable that some mistakes will be made."

One of the few times, make that the only time, I think I've agreed with Juncker. 

Depends on the severity of the 'mistakes' though, don't you think?

I agree with the general opinion of Covid passports, they will only cause grief as various jobsworths demand to see them for no reason at all. However, the Government (of any hue) is in a bit of a dilemma. If another country - say Australia - mandates that all foreign persons entering that country show proof of vaccination, what do you do if you want to go?

You can either write furious letters to the Guardian and stage a sit down outside their Embassy, or pay for a certificate from an accredited body - someone like the WHO perhaps (which may be time consuming and costly), or go to Filey again. 

Alternatively, as the NHS administered the jabs, they could provide you with a loose page to put in your passport detailing the date and product (for a modest fee).

Does that sound reasonable? 

15 minutes ago, Cyclecar said:

I agree with the general opinion of Covid passports, they will only cause grief as various jobsworths demand to see them for no reason at all. However, the Government (of any hue) is in a bit of a dilemma. If another country - say Australia - mandates that all foreign persons entering that country show proof of vaccination, what do you do if you want to go?

You can either write furious letters to the Guardian and stage a sit down outside their Embassy, or pay for a certificate from an accredited body - someone like the WHO perhaps (which may be time consuming and costly), or go to Filey again. 

Alternatively, as the NHS administered the jabs, they could provide you with a loose page to put in your passport detailing the date and product (for a modest fee).

Does that sound reasonable? 

That's basically what they do here in France.

After we had our first jab we were given a "certificate" stating date, product (AZ in our case), signed and stamped by our GP who had given us the injection. Get the 2nd jab in 10 days and expect we'll get the same.

Think it could also be useful if we need a top-up injection in the autumn / winter.

Guest sibon
57 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Duplicate of a post I put in the tory thread by mistake......... 

I've been seeing more and more recently about these covid passports. I've got to say I think they are a terrible idea and will only end in tears. It's bad enough some people are being refused service in some places for not wearing a mask. Imagine what things will be like if we get to a point where you can't even go shopping without proving you've been vaccinated. 

I don’t think you’ll need a vaccine passport for pubs, or shops. I can see that you might need either a negative test, or a vaccine certificate to enter mass events, or to travel abroad. Hopefully that will just be a short  term thing whilst we fight the tail end of this pandemic. If that’s the price of getting things going again, then let’s do it.

I don’t think there is any comparison to be had between mask wearing and vaccination. Masks are simple to wear for almost everybody, It is reasonable to expect people to wear them.

Vaccination is different. Insisting that someone injects a substance into their body in order to take part in society is wrong. We shouldn’t tolerate that.

Edited by sibon

16 minutes ago, sibon said:

I don’t think you’ll need a vaccine passport for pubs, or shops. I can see that you might need either a negative test, or a vaccine certificate to enter mass events, or to travel abroad. Hopefully that will just be a short  term thing whilst we fight the tail end of this pandemic. If that’s the price of getting things going again, then let’s do it.

I don’t think there is any comparison to be had between mask wearing and vaccination. Masks are simple to wear for almost everybody, It is reasonable to expect people to wear them.

Vaccination is different. Insisting that someone injects a substance into their body in order to take part in society is wrong. We shouldn’t tolerate that.

I couldn't agree more with that 👍