Coronavirus - Part Two.

45 minutes ago, casualbystander said:

oh give over ! this is an unprecedented situation which to be fair without hindsight nobody could have got better, we have a small rise new infections and a that we know due to more testing, just admit it its PM you hate not his methods, hes stuck in the middle no matter what he does he wont please everyone? the poor guy has had it worse than most even contracting it himself and still leading the country. top man Boris.

Except the many places that did spectacularly better.

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

My God, it was only a few months ago when people were complaining that restrictions weren't being imposed fast enough. 

But surely the Government have a plan beforehand, that can be released to the media with the details?

56 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

They bring in hard and fast rules overnight because of a change of situation with the virus -  everybody slags them off for rushed implementation.....    

Scotland and Wales delayed the release of lockdown, perhaps England should have delayed to, maybe on a local basis?

My feeling is that the data is not reliable. Deaths in Leicester never went up, people with local knowledge say that the panic to bring in a local lockdown in Leicester was done so because they were doing more testing, which highlighted more cases.

39 minutes ago, Halibut said:

no they didnt it was that perception due to low population numbers and now we see where there is high density predominately  ethnic populations are where the rises are?

27 minutes ago, El Cid said:

But surely the Government have a plan beforehand, that can be released to the media with the details?

From what I saw that's pretty much what they did.  It was certainly all over the news broadcasts and websites as soon as it was announced.  

I know the tabloid media loves to get the human angle on these types of stories, but in my opinion if "Gav from Bolton" didn't know about it until the few hours before then that unfortunately is their issue.

Perhaps if said people stopped getting their "news" from social media and actually paid attention to what is going on they will be in a better position to react when things change. 

After all the government has made no secret that when they started to ease lockdown  they could  implement it back in place very rapidly on a local or national level.  They have certainly not tried to deny that this virus has gone away and have repeatedly told people that they need to take precautions and follow rules if and when they suddenly change.

It all flows back into that personal responsibility again.  I am sure for the people affected by this partial lockdown it is a disruption.  However on the media sources I've read many of them were not following the rules regarding visitors into homes so they've created their own situation.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

49 minutes ago, Halibut said:

And could you imagine the complaints if we had followed those countries who imposed a severe lockdown with massive fines, well above what the UK decided to impose & blind adheran to the rules?

13 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Scotland and Wales delayed the release of lockdown, perhaps England should have delayed to, maybe on a local basis?

My feeling is that the data is not reliable. Deaths in Leicester never went up, people with local knowledge say that the panic to bring in a local lockdown in Leicester was done so because they were doing more testing, which highlighted more cases.

That may be so.  But that's the problem with most of these covid statistics.  They are always accompanied with a load of caveats which are completely meaningless without full context.

However that doesn't stop people, including many on this very forum, cherry-picking and using such numbers to further their agenda.   

The fact remains that if there is a perceived increase its still increase - when that happens, what exactly is a government supposed to do?

As I said earlier, if there was a increasing number and they didn't do anything the public would be slagging them off for their inactivity.....

The government does something and now there is a concern and criticism that it was a knee jerk reaction to an increase that didn't actually exist.....

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

From what I saw that's pretty much what they did.  It was certainly all over the news broadcasts and websites as soon as it was announced. 

I recall I was watching Newsnight that night, they didnt have any info. They often discuss coronavirus and other issues, its rare that the Government put up a spokes person.

Are testing numbers now released, there was a target of 200,000 per day, but after criticism of how they counted the numbers tested, the governmnet stopping giving that information altogether.

2 hours ago, iansheff said:

Does Boris know what he is doing? Last week he brought quarantine in for people arriving from Spain in just a few hours, yesterday he announces people are going to have to wear masks in Churches and cinemas from the 8th August. Why is it another week when people already have to wear masks when in most enclosed places, surely it should have been within a few hours rather than waiting another 9 days.

The Tories are blaming Muslims for an increase in coronavirus, it couldnt be that there own policies were to blame?

The World Health Organisation Europe director says young people may be driving recent spikes in cases, not Muslims.

22 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I know the tabloid media loves to get the human angle on these types of stories, but in my opinion if "Gav from Bolton" didn't know about it until the few hours before then that unfortunately is their issue.

Perhaps if said people stopped getting their "news" from social media and actually paid attention to what is going on they will be in a better position to react when things change. 

After all the government has made no secret that when they started to ease lockdown  they could  implement it back in place very rapidly on a local or national level.  They have certainly not tried to deny that this virus has gone away and have repeatedly told people that they need to take precautions and follow rules if and when they suddenly change.

It all flows back into that personal responsibility again.  I am sure for the people affected by this partial lockdown it is a disruption.  However on the media sources I've read many of them were not following the rules regarding visitors into homes so they've created their own situation.  

If Gav from Bolton DID get his news on social media he'd have found out first. Hancock announced the Spanish measures on Twitter before anything else.

3 hours ago, iansheff said:

Does Boris know what he is doing? Last week he brought quarantine in for people arriving from Spain in just a few hours, yesterday he announces people are going to have to wear masks in Churches and cinemas from the 8th August. Why is it another week when people already have to wear masks when in most enclosed places, surely it should have been within a few hours rather than waiting another 9 days.

Probably the easiest question  ever asked on the Forum,  "does Boris know what he is doing,"  Answer.    NO,  :hihi:

49 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I recall I was watching Newsnight that night, they didnt have any info. They often discuss coronavirus and other issues, its rare that the Government put up a spokes person.

Are testing numbers now released, there was a target of 200,000 per day, but after criticism of how they counted the numbers tested, the governmnet stopping giving that information altogether.

The Tories are blaming Muslims for an increase in coronavirus, it couldnt be that there own policies were to blame?

The World Health Organisation Europe director says young people may be driving recent spikes in cases, not Muslims.

I’ve not heard anything where the government has blamed Muslims. But recent spikes do seem to be in areas where large Asian community’s live. Has the coronavirus affects people from these communities more severely it’s only right for now to impose further measures until cases start to fall.

15 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Probably the easiest question  ever asked on the Forum,  "does Boris know what he is doing,"  Answer.    NO,  :hihi:

When the government imposed restrictions in 24 hours people complain when they say it’s days people complain.

8 minutes ago, hobinfoot said:

I’ve not heard anything where the government has blamed Muslims. But recent spikes do seem to be in areas where large Asian community’s live. 

I read a couple of articles (I can’t remember where, sorry) that stated the rise in numbers is in predominantly poorer areas, where more than one family or multiple generations are living in the same house, in very close proximity to other similar households.