Coronavirus - Part Two.

14 hours ago, apelike said:

Me bold. Don't kid yourself that the vaccination program has been successful because of social-democratic principles. All of the above is funded from capitalism gained from that very neoliberal doctrine people seem to now complain about and would not have happened without it.

You paid a private company for your vaccine? I got mine free through the NHS, it was really well organised.

It's good to see that Ireland are going to benefit from the successful  UK vaccine program by an offer of 3.7 million spare UK doses.

4 hours ago, Delbow said:

You paid a private company for your vaccine? I got mine free through the NHS, it was really well organised.

Me bold. And just where did I state that? I also got mine free which was administered by the NHS as well.

3 hours ago, West 77 said:

It's good to see that Ireland are going to benefit from the successful  UK vaccine program by an offer of 3.7 million spare UK doses.

No such offer has been made and the UK government's position is that we aren't going to have any spare vaccines for some time. The UK government aren't going to be offering vaccines to anyone else until the whole of the adult UK population[1] have had their first doses at the very least. That's not predicted to happen before the end of July and it will be 12 weeks after that before everyone has had their second dose. That's longer away than we've been vaccinating people, who knows what the vaccine supply situation will be in the EU by then?

That Raab, Gove and Lewis have floated the idea now to get themselves in the papers in an attempt to embarrass the EU doesn't mean very much.

[1] Vaccine refuseniks aside.

On 26/03/2021 at 19:51, RJRB said:

Pick the “facts” as it suits,and also feel free to chose which ball you wish to play from the ensuing comments.

I have no idea what the various uptake is or will be when vaccine is available around the EU countries,but thus far in the U.K. the uptake is over 93% for 75 plus age group which seems pretty good to me.

I hope that there will be no delays in receiving the second jab by the due dates.

I have great sympathy for  those having to play catch up as a result of a more guarded initial approach by their medical advisers and political leaders,and I hope for more cooperation and less point scoring.

<sigh> x2

Well, the facts were (still are) plenty clear enough, however unpalatable some clearly find them to be. You don't need to "quote-mark" them.

The ball in play was (still is) the mooted export controls by the EU and India (in recent news and discussed in posts prior to mine), since the narrative in your MSM was (still is) rather light on context.

The intention was to inform that sub-debate with information providing that context (noting that the lack of exports was not UK-exclusive, the US is clearly worse in that respect given its production volume), and mitigating the shrill anti-EU narrative/divide-and-conquer crap, which the UK government is constantly pushing hard (like it did again today, with offering Dublin those non-existent 3.7m vaccine doses).

But you know what, what few regular posters still lurk on SF's General Topics instead of Facebook just see 'L00b', and automatically get the red mist no matter what these days: I could post that the sky is blue, and still they'd find something objectionable in that 😂

I echo the balance of your sentiments, and best of luck to you with the current and coming times, RJRB. You've been a gent 🙂

3 hours ago, apelike said:

Me bold. And just where did I state that? I also got mine free which was administered by the NHS as well.

Of course you got yours from the NHS, everyone has. That's my point - I was struggling to think of anything more social democratic than a publicly funded health service free at the point of use, which I think was Staunton's point.

7 hours ago, West 77 said:

Britain does not yet have a surplus of vaccine to give to Ireland, and the Irish government doesn't appear to have had wind of any offer.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/prospect-of-uk-sharing-vaccines-with-state-many-many-weeks-away-says-coveney-1.4522144

"An Irish Government source said there had been no outreach to Dublin ahead of the newspaper report, and questioned its timing as it came as Britain faced a supply shortage while deliveries to the Republic are about to ramp up.”

43 minutes ago, Magilla said:

Britain does not yet have a surplus of vaccine to give to Ireland, and the Irish government doesn't appear to have had wind of any offer.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/prospect-of-uk-sharing-vaccines-with-state-many-many-weeks-away-says-coveney-1.4522144

"An Irish Government source said there had been no outreach to Dublin ahead of the newspaper report, and questioned its timing as it came as Britain faced a supply shortage while deliveries to the Republic are about to ramp up.”

It was first reported in the Sunday Times today that the UK Government were offering the 3.7 million doses.   The situation will become clearer over the next few days.  

4 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It was first reported in the Sunday Times today that the UK Government were offering the 3.7 million doses.   The situation will become clearer over the next few days.  

The UK government hasn't made any such offer.

It's a currently just a proposal put forward by Arlene Foster.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Delbow said:

Of course you got yours from the NHS, everyone has. That's my point - I was struggling to think of anything more social democratic than a publicly funded health service free at the point of use, which I think was Staunton's point.

That was just one point that I can agree with. The other main point about the actual vaccine project being a Socially Democratic construct does not hold though as the link I provided in post#4631 shows.

Edited by apelike

1 hour ago, apelike said:

That was just one point that I can agree with. The other main point about the actual vaccine project being a Socially Democratic construct does not hold though as the link I provided in post#4631 shows.

You mean the link that shows that  large amounts of start up costs (£65.5 million) come from the public purse?

Not to mention the the £336 million down payment from the EU.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/manufacturing/az-nets-396m-downpayment-for-300m-plus-eu-vaccine-doses

25 minutes ago, Longcol said:

You mean the link that shows that  large amounts of start up costs (£65.5 million) come from the public purse?

Yep and that money is also helping a private company in the end to bolster its own profits.

Quote:

"Oxford University has received £65.5m of funding from the Vaccines Taskforce, leaving it open to criticism that public funds are boosting private profits."

25 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Not to mention the the £336 million down payment from the EU.

https://www.fiercepharma.com/manufacturing/az-nets-396m-downpayment-for-300m-plus-eu-vaccine-doses

A different matter entirely.