Coronavirus - Part Two.

A deadly virus for a small proportion of the population - combined with initial panic and then a complicated mixture of under and over reaction by a confused public and useless government - has in the space of 12 months - completely and irreversibly done for us.

I fully expect things to get much worse from here.

Edited by Fictional Pulp

2 minutes ago, Fictional Pulp said:

A deadly virus for a small proportion of the population - combined with initial panic and then a complicated mixture of under and over reaction by a confused public and useless government - has in the space of 12 months - completely and irreversibly done for us.

I fully expect things to get much worse from here.

Given the number of hospital admissions for this virus, I wouldn't call it a 'small proportion of the population'.

Guest makapaka
11 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Given the number of hospital admissions for this virus, I wouldn't call it a 'small proportion of the population'.

Deadly for a small population.

It can obviously make lots of people ill.

4 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Deadly for a small population.

It can obviously make lots of people ill.

OK - point accepted. BUT untreated, probably deadly for a larger proportion.

Guest sibon
1 hour ago, West 77 said:

It's good to see the media (newspaper headlines) are all united in encouraging people to still get a covid-19 vaccine.

That’s essential to continue the roll out.

I’d expect the AZ vaccine to

fade slowly into the background as newer vaccines are approved. It’s going to be a hard sell to get people to take it now.

Hopefully, other vaccines won’t hit the same sort of problems as the ones that have dogged the AZ.

Some now see getting the jab & getting a blood clot as akin to playing Russian roulette.  Well that would be like putting a single bullet in an enormous gun with a multi-million barrel & giving it a spin. 

Guest makapaka

If they wanted to increase potential hesitancy in AZ vaccine take up yesterday was the way to do it.

live television conference with various whys and wherefores put to an already confused populate.

Why didn’t they just release a simple statement with the key facts.

I have just seen a photo on the BBC of the Sun newspaper headline and it reads...

"0.000095% chance of a killer clot after the AZ vaccine"

Being the media I am not sure how accurate it is though.

Guest sibon
38 minutes ago, West 77 said:

It's not a hard sell for me to take the second AZ in June which is my appointment date.  The main  problems for AZ have been created by irresponsible foreign politicians such as Macron.  The decision to offer the under 30's an alternative vaccine is based on statistical unproven risk.  At the moment covid-19 infection rates are low in the UK and that together with evidence that the under 30's are unlikely to die with covid-19 means any possible unproven risk is almost the same to individuals under 30 not being vaccinated.  An increase in covid-19 infections in the UK would make the benefit of having  the AZ far greater than not being vaccinated for the under 30's.   All people are more at risk during a long car journey than any unproven risk associated with taking any covid-19 vaccine.  People who take long car journeys are not going to stop taking long car journeys and likewise people shouldn't refuse the AZ vaccine if offered to them.

I’ll be having my second AZ jab too. I’ll be advising my two kids to have a different vaccine. 

Unfortunately, the links to blood clots are there, they are real and they will affect take up. The advice for the under 30s to be offered an alternative jab is precisely because the risk/benefit ratio doesn’t justify them having the AZ jab. Don’t forget that covid is very low risk to young people.

Trying to compare the risk of the jab to a car journey is very misleading. The risk of the jab depends upon the health and age of the patient. A car journey depends on the driver, the other driver, the road, the time of year etc. You can’t compare things in that way. Those that do are often trying to muddy the waters.

The only thing that ultimately matters is whether people will take the jab. Once alternatives are readily available, the AZ will be binned, for just that reason.

Guest sibon
9 minutes ago, apelike said:

I have just seen a photo on the BBC of the Sun newspaper headline and it reads...

"0.000095% chance of a killer clot after the AZ vaccine"

Being the media I am not sure how accurate it is though.

There have been about 90 occurrences of blood clots. That’s about 0.0004% of vaccinated people going on to get blood clots.

Of course, that’s not the whole story. The percentage for young women is higher and for old men, it is lower.

It’s not very big for either though

Edited by sibon

I had my second AZ jab yesterday and never gave a second thought about doing so.

Baron99,

If you hadn't been too lazy to look up your own facts, I would have never bothered entering the thread at all. I quoted a government website, hardly a "dodgy news feed"

Before you disappear too far up your own ladder, you should know that every single assumption you made about my position is wrong, quite a feat.  You certainly took one little comment and ran with it. The equivalent of assuming everyone with a beer in their hand is an alcoholic.

Insults don't bother me, carry on if you need the human interaction. Suggesting people are lying without any evidence is a bit stupid though.

Various countries including our own have postponed using the AZ vaccine on certain age groups - using your fantasy extrapolations, that makes them anti-vax, anti-mask etc. There are 8 vaccines that may be in used in our country, and possibly many more in the pipeline. They are not all going to be safe, and we don't have a choice currently which one we get.

Don't quote me,  go for a walk or something.  I'm done.