Coronavirus - Part Two.

6 hours ago, El Cid said:

Shares in AstraZeneca plc are lower now than in Jan 2020 before all this started, many non-medical shares are down,  but AstraZeneca plc is by no means doing really well.

I think that at the moment it is too soon to judge just how well any are doing and any downturn may be due to the way some countries and some EU member states have put out negative statements regarding the AstraZeneca vaccine. The main thing to watch for is how much the profits are up in around a years time.

Let's remind ourselves that the promised world-beating, outsourced track and trace system turned out to be a dismal failure.

However, that's not how big business sees it, because those outsourcing companies are enjoying astonishing profits. The cost of this failed strategy is counted in lives lost. It's also counted in public money, which means the money we pay in taxes, handed over to these companies, which lacked any of the required skills or past experience of the critical tasks they were contracted to undertake. How much money? £37 billion, that's thirty seven thousand million pounds.

The NHS had the necessary skills, the infrastructure and the personnel to undertake such a role, but they were ignored. That is neoliberalism at work - private sector profit before public service, instead of public service.

Neoliberals know how to market their lies, they are aware that the 'NHS' label is trusted, so they stuck it on the front of their villainous charade. Meanwhile the party behind this shocking scandal are sticking to their claim that a below inflation 1% pay rise is all that's affordable for the NHS staff who really did work tirelessly round the clock to save lives.

Headlines

A real-world study finds that approved vaccines are highly effective as drugmakers work to expand access

Earlier this week, the Centers for Disease Control published results from a study that found that the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines appear 90 percent effective at protecting against Covid-19 in the real world. The data is yet another promising indicator that these vaccines work really well, but, importantly, this doesn’t mean that they offer complete protection—masking and distancing in public are important even if you’ve received both shots. As the last year has made eminently clear, our understanding of this disease, and how to fend it off, is constantly evolving, so it’s important for everyone to continue taking all the precautions that we know to be effective.

This is certainly good news.However, are we ever going to see the removal of restriction?  Will politicians and public health officials ever let this crisis go ?

There isn't a vaccine in the world that offers"complete protection". But will that fact be used to keep us in measures indefinitely?

The only way out of measures-as far as I can see-

is updated vaccines,annual vaccination-and boosters- and the embracing  of the concept of  societal acceptable risk of infection .

The youth are already getting restless against measures.

19 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

This is certainly good news.However, are we ever going to see the removal of restriction?  Will politicians and public health officials ever let this crisis go ?

There isn't a vaccine in the world that offers"complete protection". But will that fact be used to keep us in measures indefinitely?

The only way out of measures-as far as I can see-

is updated vaccines,annual vaccination-and boosters- and the embracing  of the concept of  societal acceptable risk of infection .

The youth are already getting restless against measures.

We have a plan which will see most of the restrictions removed in the next few weeks.  Some things like masks and some social distancing may remain a bit longer but for most they are hardly onerous. 

Restrictions on some foreign travel and the requirements for quarantine may remain a bit longer but they are quite sensible and will stop people importing and spreading varients. 

All that is needed is a little patence and some common sense. 

My neighbour is 55 years old, and is on his GPs list for his first vaccination for the Coronavirus. However they seem to be stringing him along. I was told that you can book a free vaccination online with the NHS. Also that when you book this they also give you an appointment for your second jab at the same time. Is this true ? Has anyone actually done this ? Also if he did it this way, how long is the waiting list online with the NHS.? Could he also leave his name on his GPs list to see which date is first ? Any information would be much appreciated as this man is very shy and quiet, and will not complain if he has to wait too long.

5 minutes ago, pattricia said:

My neighbour is 55 years old, and is on his GPs list for his first vaccination for the Coronavirus. However they seem to be stringing him along. I was told that you can book a free vaccination online with the NHS. Also that when you book this they also give you an appointment for your second jab at the same time. Is this true ? Has anyone actually done this ? Also if he did it this way, how long is the waiting list online with the NHS.? Could he also leave his name on his GPs list to see which date is first ? Any information would be much appreciated as this man is very shy and quiet, and will not complain if he has to wait too long.

I booked my stepdads online, and yes you do get your second appointment at the same time.

The website kept offering appointments at Wakefield and Mansfield but I kept refreshing the page till one came up for the week after at Sheffield Arena.

It would be fine to leave his name down with his GP too, as long as if he gets offered 2 appointments he personally cancels the one he doesn’t want, as the 2 services aren’t linked up.

The website to book through is here...

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

15 minutes ago, nikki-red said:

I booked my stepdads online, and yes you do get your second appointment at the same time.

The website kept offering appointments at Wakefield and Mansfield but I kept refreshing the page till one came up for the week after at Sheffield Arena.

It would be fine to leave his name down with his GP too, as long as if he gets offered 2 appointments he personally cancels the one he doesn’t want, as the 2 services aren’t linked up.

The website to book through is here...

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/

Thank you nikki, your advice is very helpful.xxxx

If the documents-digital or otherwise- can be faked. Then the real ones have no value whatsoever.

It had to happen-it's the kind of world we live in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-56489574

Edited by petemcewan

On 02/04/2021 at 18:55, Staunton said:

Let's remind ourselves that the promised world-beating, outsourced track and trace system turned out to be a dismal failure.

However, that's not how big business sees it, because those outsourcing companies are enjoying astonishing profits. The cost of this failed strategy is counted in lives lost. It's also counted in public money, which means the money we pay in taxes, handed over to these companies, which lacked any of the required skills or past experience of the critical tasks they were contracted to undertake. How much money? £37 billion, that's thirty seven thousand million pounds.

The NHS had the necessary skills, the infrastructure and the personnel to undertake such a role, but they were ignored. That is neoliberalism at work - private sector profit before public service, instead of public service.

Neoliberals know how to market their lies, they are aware that the 'NHS' label is trusted, so they stuck it on the front of their villainous charade. Meanwhile the party behind this shocking scandal are sticking to their claim that a below inflation 1% pay rise is all that's affordable for the NHS staff who really did work tirelessly round the clock to save lives.

Excellent post.

People do not realise the extent to which the NHS is being privatised, and that's in spite of Boris's bare faced lies that it would be otherwise.

You're right; stick 'NHS' on it and people assume it's the public service we all know and love; it's not. The Track and trace debacle is an excellent example; allowing private companies to try and reinvent the wheel at great expense, to do what the NHS already had the means to do as part of the system. Then to add insult to injury, the perpetrators get rich on the proceeds of failure. Disgraceful, but as you say, neoliberalism at its best.

This is also exactly the sort of thing Jeremy Corbyn wanted to put an end to, but now Tory stooge the neoliberal Starmer is in charge of Labour, the privatisation of the NHS will no doubt continue apace. No wonder the Tories were desperate to ensure Corbyn wasn't elected...

In spite of claims that our successful vaccination programme (the best in the world) was to be the way out of lockdown, it seems that the AstraZenica jab is now proving to be only 31% efficient in preventing transmission of the disease, and may not be able to deal with new variants, and there might be another serious wave in July / August, possibly requiring further lockdowns....

We will not be allowed to fly abroad this summer (fair enough,) but after 12 months of covid, we still haven't managed to effectively seal our borders and up to 8,000 tourists a day are entering the country without proper checks: Nor are they being made to quarantine in hotels, though we must at a cost of £1,700. We can still not gather inside in any numbers, but 'Schools must stay open,' though they are known to be amongst the biggest spreaders. Workers are allowed on public transport and into work, but not allowed inside a pub afterwards, and we may well need 'passports' when we can. And so on.... it's nuts.

Well I'm sorry, but I've had enough. This quite simply can't go on. There are too many lies/inconsistencies flying around for me to take anything the government says seriously anymore.

If people haven't yet realised our way of life and freedoms are being curtailed for the sake of it, with no real logic behind it, they need to think again.

Personally I think the best way to rid us of Covid is to stop all the briefings, sack all the Advisors and experts, and it will vanish overnight.  

Edited by Anna B

25 minutes ago, Anna B said:

In spite of claims that our successful vaccination programme (the best in the world) was to be the way out of lockdown, it seems that the AstraZenica jab is now proving to be only 31% efficient in preventing transmission of the disease, and may not be able to deal with new variants, and there might be another serious wave in July / August, possibly requiring further lockdowns....

The coronavirus vaccines are not administered to prevent transmission of the virus and are administered to prevent infection in the person having the vaccine, so the 31% is a bit of a red herring. Not sure why you have posted that or where you got the idea from. It's one of the reasons why people who have been vaccinated are still advised to do the hands, face and space dance!

Sorry its just a big sigh from me for the rest of the post.

Edited by apelike

Anyone considering a Covid vaccine any time soon? Here's some information from the NHS website:

Up to and including 6th April, the numbers of people in the UK reporting adverse reactions to Covid-19 vaccinations are as follows:
Astra Zenica: 377,487
Pfizer:  116,626

The number of deaths attributed to Covid-19 vaccinations are as follows
Astra Zenica:  421
Pfizer:  283

In total therefore, 494,114 adverse reactions and 704 deaths have been recorded in the UK due to Covid-19 vaccinations (NHS's statistics, not mine!) Needless to say, Boris made no reference to these statistics during Monday's press statement... But I think you should know!