Coronavirus - Part Two.

4 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Annie Bynnol

Mutewitness asked a question in 4451.

Live Attenuated ,Inactivated or mRNA.In your opinion ,which one of them is best at dealing with mutations ?

I woudn't dare try and give an opinion as events, discoveries, distribution, innovations, techniques and a myriad of other considerations come to play when trying to protect a population. 

The question you ask  is unanswerable as " ...best..." cannot be defined.

E.g. does "...best..." mean for the survival of an  individual, an age group, for a geographical area, globally, speed, cost, time, economy etc., etc.

Like the Johnson & Johnson, the combining of established and new techniques are delivering impressive results. More will follow.

What I do say is that we need to keep up to date with information from reliable sources at a level that we can understand.

The British Society for Immunology section on Coronavirus provides information at many levels. You can follow the latest developments in an abridged form in Nature before they become mangled by the media.

The report on Exercise Cygnus, the simulation of a fictitious influenza pandemic, warned that “the UK’s preparedness and response, in terms of its plans, policies, and capability, is currently not sufficient to cope with the extreme demands of a severe pandemic that will have a nationwide impact across all sectors.”

46 minutes ago, MrAllen2K21 said:

My Family and I had our first vaccine jabs a month yesterday ago.

Despite being in lockdown and all the vulnerable having been vaccinated months ago; deaths are still happening.

Are these deaths because because they have been ill for months?

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

Despite being in lockdown and all the vulnerable having been vaccinated months ago; deaths are still happening.

My Parents are both over 70 and classed as vulnerable, and I'm also classed as vulnerable due to being on the cusp of type 2 Diabetes.

I was hoping to get my  vaccination done in Rotherham, but cannot extablish if there are any centres doing it. I phoned the number from the letter and they don`t have details of centres of this area.

20 minutes ago, Janus said:

I was hoping to get my  vaccination done in Rotherham, but cannot extablish if there are any centres doing it. I phoned the number from the letter and they don`t have details of centres of this area.

The letter should state that your registered doctors surgery should be in touch offering the jab there if you have not already had one. I take it that is where you live, in Rotherham. My local surgery got in touch last week and I'm booked in for mine there on Monday.

Hi, yes I live in Rotherham. 

It says on the letter "if you are not able to travel to the vaccination centre, your local  services will be in contact  with you to make arrangements".

I can travel, but I was hoping to get it done in Rotherham. I am unsure if the GP surgery will phone me. I could phone them on Monday.

11 hours ago, El Cid said:

In the case of Tony my next door neighbour yes. He died a week ago and I still can't quite believe it. He was a very fit 68 year-old who went to the gym every week and out cycling every few days. He suddenly developed a digestive problem that needed treatment just before Xmas. He was admitted to hospital where his problem was misdiagnosed and he received insufficient surgical treatment such that an internal infection took hold. He was tested several times for Covid before & after admission and was negative each time but then all the patients in his GI ward suddenly tested positive after one of the patients who had been discharged tested positive at home. Tony was then sent to Manchester Royal for more appropriate GI treatment (despite his positive test) where they found out his gall bladder had burst. They then sent him home to get his strength back ready for a further operation. His wife (Covid negative) had to go and get him in the car the day before she was due her first vaccination jab. You really couldn't write the script! He lasted 2 weeks at home before being taken back into hospital as an emergency. A week later he was gone. 

10 hours ago, Victor Meldrew said:

In the case of Tony my next door neighbour yes. He died a week ago and I still can't quite believe it. He was a very fit 68 year-old who went to the gym every week and out cycling every few days. He suddenly developed a digestive problem that needed treatment just before Xmas. He was admitted to hospital where his problem was misdiagnosed and he received insufficient surgical treatment such that an internal infection took hold. He was tested several times for Covid before & after admission and was negative each time but then all the patients in his GI ward suddenly tested positive after one of the patients who had been discharged tested positive at home. Tony was then sent to Manchester Royal for more appropriate GI treatment (despite his positive test) where they found out his gall bladder had burst. They then sent him home to get his strength back ready for a further operation. His wife (Covid negative) had to go and get him in the car the day before she was due her first vaccination jab. You really couldn't write the script! He lasted 2 weeks at home before being taken back into hospital as an emergency. A week later he was gone. 

I'm really sorry to read this, VM.
May I ask whether he died of Covid or of the complications resulting from, what appears to be, less-than-ideal treatment of his GI issues?

7 hours ago, enntee said:

I'm really sorry to read this, VM.
May I ask whether he died of Covid or of the complications resulting from, what appears to be, less-than-ideal treatment of his GI issues?

Yes Covid in the end I believe.

4 hours ago, Victor Meldrew said:

Yes Covid in the end I believe.

How sad.  Sorry to hear this.