Coronavirus - Part Two.

Had my 1st shot same day as husband. He had no symptoms, I had splitting headache within 10 minutes. I couldn't lift my arm for a couple of days. After that everything ok. Wouldn't stop me having my second shot.

2 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Thirsty Relic.

Moderna and Pfizer are working at modifying their vaccines so that they give protection against variants.

Pfizer has said it's exploring adding a 3rd booster shot

that specially targets the SA variant.

Thanks Pete - this adds to my post #4397 that said the Government are planning a 3rd jab in the Autumn to target the variants that the current jab do not do well with - and gave a link to the news that Oxford will have a jab ready by then that targets them. 

3 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Tinfoilhat

Hang in there and the side effects will pass and you will then be a BEACON (bleep,bleep ) of  immunity for us all.

Thanks Pete. Got a bit of sore arm this morning but otherwise feel more or less back to normal.  Will have the second jab.

Re: Covid vaccinations passports etc.  IMO These should not be made compulsory by either authoritarian or coercive means, until all the research is in place regarding long term effects of the vaccines.

Older people have less to lose than a young person, and a lot to gain from mitigating perhaps the worst effects of covid, so should benefit from having it, but if it was found in future for example to reduce fertility, then who could blame young people for not wanting to risk it. They have given up an awful lot already due to covid, they are entitled to a free choice in this matter. By all means encourage them to have it if they are happy to, and hope that herd immunity do the rest.

Older people can continue to take whatever precautions they see fit if they wish.

59 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Re: Covid vaccinations passports etc.  IMO These should not be made compulsory by either authoritarian or coercive means, until all the research is in place regarding long term effects of the vaccines.

Older people have less to lose than a young person, and a lot to gain from mitigating perhaps the worst effects of covid, so should benefit from having it, but if it was found in future for example to reduce fertility, then who could blame young people for not wanting to risk it. They have given up an awful lot already due to covid, they are entitled to a free choice in this matter. By all means encourage them to have it if they are happy to, and hope that herd immunity do the rest.

Older people can continue to take whatever precautions they see fit if they wish.

Mixing ethical and medical issues just leads to confusion delay and more deaths.

First lets get as many people protected as quickly as possible.

Let us monitor how the disease is behaving/changing and decide how it is best controlled and how best people all people are protected.

I would expect that people of any age who deal with public at this stage  to take measures to protect themselves, their families, friends, work colleagues, transport drivers, shopworkers and anybody else. 

The virus is not ageist. The virus won't wait to mutate for long term studies. The virus is not ethical or political.

I am more than happy to accept the risk that is posed by those who cannot be vaccinated and who need the protection of mass immunization.

The issue  of "vaccine passports" is a media and an invention of the chattering classes. How can we possibly object to something that has not been defined? Is it to do with travel, international travel, work places, shops, restaurants ....?

Declarations of fitness to work/travel, quarantine regulations etc have been around for a thousand+ years.

So, someone has been to Brazil via Paris and Switzerland recently and brought back a virulent strain of Covid, and failed to put their contact details on their test documents. I hope they had a bloody good reason for going there. Also, what kind of inbound controls are we operating, where someone has to be tested but can't be traced?

14 minutes ago, Delbow said:

So, someone has been to Brazil via Paris and Switzerland recently and brought back a virulent strain of Covid, and failed to put their contact details on their test documents. I hope they had a bloody good reason for going there. Also, what kind of inbound controls are we operating, where someone has to be tested but can't be traced?

£22bn on serco track and trace. That number again, £22bn.

17 minutes ago, Delbow said:

As far as I know a variant can occur anywhere given the right condition and may not necessarily be imported so it may just be down to that.

Edited by apelike

Just now, apelike said:

As far as I know a variant can occur anywhere given the right condition and may not necessarily be imported so it may just be down to that.

Really? A variant exactly the same as the braziallian one can just evolve on its own in isolation? How does that work?

20 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Really? A variant exactly the same as the braziallian one can just evolve on its own in isolation? How does that work?

Viruses naturally mutate so I would assume that it could. It evolved in one person so I would think it safe to assume that the same variant can also evolve in another person as well given that there are billions of people on this planet and many will have similar conditions (DNA etc) for that to happen. 

This may be a helpful read:

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/01/coronavirus-evolving-same-mutations-around-world/617721/

Edited by apelike

5 minutes ago, apelike said:

Viruses naturally mutate so I would assume that it could. It evolved in one person so I would think it safe to assume that the same variant can also evolve in another person as well given that there are billions of people on this planet and many will have similar conditions (DNA etc) for that to happen. 

So, given that virus can mutate in many (hundreds?millions?) ways you're claiming that one person can develope the Brazilian one  - the exact Brazilian one - without going to Brazil or being near anyone who had the Brazilian variant? 

I'll be honest that sounds a bit optimistic to me. I'll stick with occams razor - we screwed up track and trace and we have massive, easily negotiable holes in our quarantine system.

26 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

So, given that virus can mutate in many (hundreds?millions?) ways you're claiming that one person can develope the Brazilian one  - the exact Brazilian one - without going to Brazil or being near anyone who had the Brazilian variant? 

Yes its evolution at work. The same variants can occur independently given the same conditions of the host. 

Have a read of the link I posted.

BTW. I'm not stating that is the case here but just a possibility.

They also don't mutate in millions of ways, maybe hundreds but the unsuccessful ones die out for want of a better word and the successful one become the norm.

Edited by apelike