Coronavirus - Part Two.

Annie Bynnol

There isn't very much I disagree with you on.

A major challenge for vaccine makers is to come up with a vaccine which stimulates lasting immunity.

As far as I can determine-by distilling knowledge from what I read,is the following.

Immunogenicity was noticed as an unexpected side effect from giving animals mRNA. Vaccine developers have run with it from there. Not with the animals I might add.

The mobilising of the Adaptive  Immune system by the mRNA vaccine is what should confer some lasting immunity.  

And that is why I'm glad I had the mRNA shot.

Note: A robust innate immune response can clear a virus relatively quickly in an infected person ,but can leave them without much  lasting immunity.

mRNA is the most stripped down vector you can imagine. Consequently you do not run into so much immune  response to the vector trouble. Which can be

a problem on repeat dosing with other vaccines.

So now I want my second dose.

Edited by petemcewan

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

Not sure what users like us is, but I wouldnt trust publications aimed at Sun/Mail readers.

Springer Nature are not in  business of 'general reading' that you would find in a newsagent or bookshop.

They are for "... today’s academic and professional communities."  and neither of us are that in the area of vaccines.

One of their sixteen sections is "Medicine" with over 300 Journals at a cost from £70 a year per each and individual articles at £20. They do release some articles for editing by publications like Scientific American, Lancet, New Scientist etc and sometimes those they think are of major public interest/benefit.

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Springer Nature are not in  business of 'general reading' that you would find in a newsagent or bookshop.

They are for "... today’s academic and professional communities."  and neither of us are that in the area of vaccines.

Not sure what point you are making, it is freely available online, for anyone.

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

So using what we have already paid for, rather than clinical need. I know we are in the middle of a pandemic, but maybe the best way to recover from that is to find the best available and use that one?

Its been secured because of clinical need.:huh:

As I have already tried to explain, relying on just one vaccine is foolish as it would take too long to vaccinate all that need it allowing the virus to spread more making this pandemic with its lockdown very extended indeed. Better to use a mix of what is now available in the shortest time possible even if some are not as effective. We could of course wait and try to get one that is 100% effective but that will never happen!

Edited by apelike

7 hours ago, Hans-solo said:

Had my covid jab 4th of Feb its the Oxford one big mistake feel so rough headaches cough high temp skin rashes muscle cramps just getting through worse now thank god anyone else had reactions speaking to doctor today see if its worth getting second jab put me right off I know getting covid itself could be worse just felt so bad with jab

12 days is a long time to be having side effects.

As you have a cough and high temperature (2 of the main symptoms) you probably should get a Covid test.

Edited by nikki-red

6 hours ago, Thirsty Relic said:

I can't understand people anticipating Boris's big announcements on Monday 22nd.  We already know most of it as he has, as usual, leaked it all to the press, and even told us much of it yesterday.  Schools to reopen on the 9th of March, non-essential shops shortly afterwards, April 1st re-opening of hospitality for outdoors service (been gardens etc).  No mention of pubs though.

Boris said that we would end lockdown when the top 4 tiers had all had the opportunity to be vaccinated.  That target has been reached, as announced officially yesterday.  Deaths, hospital admissions, r number etc are all dropping steadily.  We're now waiting another week for the "grand announcement", and he'll be judged on that.

We should stop focussing on dates, if we focus on dates then we'll end up back here again in two months. 

I'm quite sure the people who understand this better than the people on here can put a sensible value on some of the key numbers like infections etc.  We need to get all the key numbers substantially below these limits and remaining below these limits. 

Each time we open something up it's likely to cause a spike of cases (hopefully not a big spike), so we continue to vaccinate, watch the numbers and don't even think about opening up more places until we're sure we past the spike. 

Against the background of this, we continue to aggressively pursue the vaccination strategy which will hopefully make the surges smaller and shorter as time goes on.  Making a concerted effort to reach out to those who are unsure for whatever reason. 

We also need to start looking at helping poorer states with their vaccinations, possibly not yet but we need to start making plans soon. We will never be fully safe until everyone is, leaving poor areas to fester is going to allow this to become endemic  and then they become nurseries for new strains 

It's clear this came from the animal kingdom, we also need to start to have a lighter grip on nature or will be spawn more of these or eventually we'll get something we can't stop. 

I had my jab at home on Sunday. I’ve had a couple of reactions felt a bit hot on Sunday and my arm is hurting apart from this I’m fine.

Edited by hobinfoot

34 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

We should stop focussing on dates, if we focus on dates then we'll end up back here again in two months. 

I'm quite sure the people who understand this better than the people on here can put a sensible value on some of the key numbers like infections etc.  We need to get all the key numbers substantially below these limits and remaining below these limits. 

Each time we open something up it's likely to cause a spike of cases (hopefully not a big spike), so we continue to vaccinate, watch the numbers and don't even think about opening up more places until we're sure we past the spike. 

Against the background of this, we continue to aggressively pursue the vaccination strategy which will hopefully make the surges smaller and shorter as time goes on.  Making a concerted effort to reach out to those who are unsure for whatever reason. 

We also need to start looking at helping poorer states with their vaccinations, possibly not yet but we need to start making plans soon. We will never be fully safe until everyone is, leaving poor areas to fester is going to allow this to become endemic  and then they become nurseries for new strains 

It's clear this came from the animal kingdom, we also need to start to have a lighter grip on nature or will be spawn more of these or eventually we'll get something we can't stop. 

I think with humans encroaching further and further into nature, coupled with god knows what being defrosted from northern tundra with global warming I think they'll be a regular thing.

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

I think with humans encroaching further and further into nature, coupled with god knows what being defrosted from northern tundra with global warming I think they'll be a regular thing.

Not to forget the increase in population and associated density.

5 minutes ago, enntee said:

Not to forget the increase in population and associated density.

Yes, "Love Island"... "The Only Way is Essex".... and so on

2 hours ago, nikki-red said:

12 days is a long time to be having side effects.

As you have a cough and high temperature (2 of the main symptoms) you probably should get a Covid test.

That was first thing doc sent me for all clear really considering if second jab is worth while