Coronavirus - Part Two.

2 hours ago, petemcewan said:

The link you provided  makes some interesting points.

This one makes me raise an eyebrow:

Is it your view that older people shouldn't  trust the Cov-19

vaccines ,because the testing was "rushed" ?

We are urged by our GPs to have an annual Flu  vaccination-even with the Flu vaccine relatively low effectiveness.

When the vaccine companies are stating 90% effectiveness, people would rightly think, get the vaccine done and things will be ok. I believe there are some really bright scientists developing these vaccines, but I expect the COVID vaccine to be similar in efectivness to the flu vaccine, around 50% effective if its the right varriant.

I just want MPs and the media to question effectively, honesty too. I will take the vaccine when its my turn. If there are any problems with the vaccines,  the vaccine companies would lose millions, they were ere on the safe side.

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

When the vaccine companies are stating 90% effectiveness, people would rightly think, get the vaccine done and things will be ok. I believe there are some really bright scientists developing these vaccines, but I expect the COVID vaccine to be similar in efectivness to the flu vaccine, around 50% effective if its the right varriant.

I just want MPs and the media to question effectively, honesty too. I will take the vaccine when its my turn. If there are any problems with the vaccines,  the vaccine companies would lose millions, they were ere on the safe side.

With a build up of herd immunity and 50% vaccine success we should be able to open up again.

We are never going to get 100% any more than we have for flu. 

Sooner or later we will just have to allow people to take responsibility for their own welfare just like everything else and let them get on with it.

In the long term I don't see any alternative.

Edited by Anna B

You lot have done my head in- should I have the vaccine or just stay in ‘til I die of natural causes (hopefully at 66 a bit of a wait). I don’t know who’s stats I ought to be part of

El Cid,

Thanks for your considered reply.

Only time will tells us the  vaccines  effectiveness in the community.

I'm sincerely hoping that effective therapeutics will eventually emerge; that can be applied to treating the illnesses caused by this virus and its variants.

13 minutes ago, catmiss said:

You lot have done my head in- should I have the vaccine or just stay in ‘til I die of natural causes (hopefully at 66 a bit of a wait). I don’t know who’s stats I ought to be part of

Well, I reckon you've got a couple of months before you get asked if you want the vaccine (or get sent an appointment if your doctors decide you're going to have it without asking you), looking at the rate they are passing the vaccine(s) out, the order they are using, and the recent slowdown in supply that's been reported.

Perhaps by that time there will be more info that makes sense, or hopefully things will start looking up.

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Relic said:

Well, I reckon you've got a couple of months before you get asked if you want the vaccine (or get sent an appointment if your doctors decide you're going to have it without asking you), looking at the rate they are passing the vaccine(s) out, the order they are using, and the recent slowdown in supply that's been reported.

Perhaps by that time there will be more info that makes sense, or hopefully things will start looking up.

I’ve shielded for 10 months, am in the cohort who, according to Boris, should be vaccinated before mid Feb. but that’s looking unlikely given the diminished supply to Yorkshire. My latest ‘Shielding’ letter states I should continue to shield even after 2nd vaccine dose which will be at least mid May.  I think many of us will be round the twist by then and be part of yet another statistic 

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

In Jan 2020 less than 20% of the population have had COVID, when the volunteers were given the vaccine the number of people that already had COVID was probably less than 5%.

So the figure is likely to be less than 2%, so the vaccine was tested on less than 20  older people?

It was around 200 people according to this and for reasons that make sense. Also there seems no evidence from this or previous vaccines to suggest it won’t work in older people.

Quite an interesting read if you have the time as it’s quite long.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.repubblica.it/cronaca/2021/01/26/news/interview_pascal_soriot_ceo_astrazeneca_coronavirus_covid_vaccines-284349628/amp/

The sooner that the vaccine is more widely available to all countries then the better for everybody.

The problems of stepping up production at this stage are understandable,but what are the issues going forward.

What are the limiting factors.

Are the pharmaceutical companies not prepared to share their knowledge.Should patents be applicable for such a product.

Is there a shortage of capable technicians and investment,or is there a constituent of the vaccine that is of limited availability.

At one stage there was a shortage of the phials for containing and distributing the vaccine.

Anybody know?

9 hours ago, Westie1889 said:

It was around 200 people according to this and for reasons that make sense. Also there seems no evidence from this or previous vaccines to suggest it won’t work in older people.

There are numerous vaccines, at least some of them were not tested properly on older people.

In order to test the vaccine, they would need to get 100,000 of volunteers, 1,000 of those may be elderly, give 50% of them the vaccine(500) and se how many caught COVID.

Of those  50% only a small number will get the virus, probably around 25, so the vaccine

2 hours ago, RJRB said:

The sooner that the vaccine is more widely available to all countries then the better for everybody.

The problems of stepping up production at this stage are understandable,but what are the issues going forward.

What are the limiting factors.

Are the pharmaceutical companies not prepared to share their knowledge.Should patents be applicable for such a product.

Is there a shortage of capable technicians and investment,or is there a constituent of the vaccine that is of limited availability.

At one stage there was a shortage of the phials for containing and distributing the vaccine.

Anybody know?

I agree with you about the sooner the better about the availability. The EU were slow in ordering vaccines and the consequences of this is a problem. The Spanish medical authorities say a 2 week delay in vaccination will now take place. Parts of France is now struggling as well. 

We shouldn't be making capital out of the EU countries' citizens suffering for the lack of vaccines but you can't really discuss this without it coming across that way. 

Well before the Oxford Astrazeneca was approved, when the only vaccine virtually ready was the Pfizer vaccine.  I seemed to remember the likes of the then, (he's had to resign on a Child benefit scandal), Dutch Premier, Mark Rutte, crowing about the Pfizer vaccine being a European vaccine & because no Brexit deal had been done, the UK would be right at the back of the queue, as all the EU countries would be first in line. Well its not worked out like that has it? 

The European citizens have only got their collective politicians & the slowness of the EU Commission to blame for any vaccine delays. 

While we in the UK have vaccinated over 10% of our total population, the average in the EU is 2% & according to the news the other day, the French haven't even managed to achieve the 2% figure.  

As for DEMANDING that supplies of the Oxford Astrazeneca are re-routed to Europe.  It might have escaped them but with a greater death & infection rate in the UK, our needs are greater than much of mainland Europe.