Jump to content RIP Sheffield Admin Mort

Coronavirus - Part Two.

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

same as the R rate etc, one minute i seem to read that the cases are slowing, then on the other hand i also read that scientists are worried the lockdown isnt strict enough to bring down cases....hmmmm

the R rate isn't the same across the uk, in some places it might be below 1 in others it it above it. 

6 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

the R rate isn't the same across the uk, in some places it might be below 1 in others it it above it. 

Indeed. I know its not the R rate but I read that Knowsley is running about 1200 per 100k which seems huge.

5 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Not really, sometimes they'd be presented with a list of dos and don'ts but in many cases you're given a key and told to return it the next day. If any staff from the venue were there - which you'd expect at a  venue from that size  - that should have been shut down before the guests turned up.

Reports say that the school had employed a separate company to manage the hall bookings. Accepting or not cancelling the booking during lockdown and covering windows shows a deliberate flouting of the rules but the wedding hosts and guests are equally responsible as they must  have also been aware of the restrictions. 

9 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Indeed. I know its not the R rate but I read that Knowsley is running about 1200 per 100k which seems huge.

It's one of the most deprived areas in the country. There seems to be a correlation between between deprivation and high infection rates. 

22 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

It's one of the most deprived areas in the country. There seems to be a correlation between between deprivation and high infection rates. 

Not necessarily deprivation, otherwise it would be easier to identify all the deprived areas of the UK, plough resources into them by way of vaccines & cure the problem faster? 

Surely the correlation is that people cause the infection rates to rise?  Where people go, where people gather at the moment without social distancing, the virus will follow. 

Even in areas of deprivation, with large households / houses of multiple occupancy, if people follow the social distancing rules, wear face coverings as required, there wouldn't be any spikes in infection rates. 

Every little helps to control the virus.  The virus is non-discriminatory, it doesn't recognise wealth or deprivation. 

Edited by Baron99

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Not necessarily deprivation, otherwise it would be easier to identify all the deprived areas of the UK, plough resources into them by way of vaccines & cure the problem faster? 

Surely the correlation is that people cause the infection rates to rise?  Where people go, where people gather at the moment without social distancing, the virus will follow. 

Even in areas of deprivation, with large households / houses of multiple occupancy, if people follow the social distancing rules, wear face coverings as required, there wouldn't be any spikes in infection rates. 

Every little helps to control the virus.  The virus is non-discriminatory, it doesn't recognise wealth or deprivation. 

I think some of it has to do with people not self-isolating when they should, as the can't afford to...

22 minutes ago, Becky B said:

I think some of it has to do with people not self-isolating when they should, as the can't afford to...

There is support funding available for those that are eligible.

7 minutes ago, enntee said:

There is support funding available for those that are eligible.

Apparently out of 400k+ who have applied, 10k have been accepted. 

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Apparently out of 400k+ who have applied, 10k have been accepted. 

Therein lies the problem. Hence people are working when they should be isolating - isolate or eat in extreme circumstances.

Over the last couple of days, it's been mooted that people should receive £500 when isolating which seems like a good idea to me. Isolation is 10 days so it's only 50 quid a day but as I suspect most people have blown a lot of their savings over the last year it could make the difference between people following the isolation instructions or not.

Costwise, assuming 250,000 people a week contract the virus (it's slightly above that as I write but dropping), that works out at 125 million a week. Over 6 months that would work out at 3.25 billion, an eye-watering amount but a fraction of the money spent on a failing track and trace system.

It's time to get a bit more creative to stop the spread of this virus.

If you lose income due to isolating you can get help anyway.

My fear would be that offering money to everyone needing to isolate would just lead to some people being even more irresponsible in an actual attempt to catch it and therefore pocket £500.

I will be delighted when I get either vaccine but some of the shine is taken off by the differing medical views on the time gap between first and second jabs.

I think that I currently believer that the wider coverage gives the greater benefit to the population,provided that there is no evidence that this would allow or encourage further mutations of the virus which are resistant to the vaccine.

Its hard to follow the science when opinions are divided.